Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pay Grade

Hi all

just wondered if anyone knew if there was a pay grade suggestion for us in early years. Have completed qualification and therefore I am now obviously a higher level and when I asked for a pay rise in recognition of this I was told to research how much I should now be getting paid but can't find any suggestions any where on line! Any ideas anyone?

thank you

As far as I'm aware there has never been a pay grade for nursery staff, unless you're working in a LA nursery or children's centre in which case it is worth talking to your HR department. That said, perhaps looking at what LA pay their staff is as good as any place to start! Good luck with your search and please come back and let us know what you find out!

Plus the addition of the need for a higher qualified staff...

I really do believe if you are employed at on level that there had to be an application and recruitment and a need to be employed at a higher one..

if the job is for one level and this is what you were employed for, the added qualification is not always a way to a higher wage...

as an employer i would hire someone sort for a specific job with a wage scale ( even if it was minimum wage) and added qualifications to do he same job need not always add to the wage, sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but I would employ for the job and this is what the wage would reflect even if someone was over qualified for it.

and no wage scale all depends on income, profit, costs etc... a private sector has no wage scale.

I agree with Inge. As an employee I've undertaken qualifications in the past to improve my practice rather than to increase my pay. As an employer I have recruited to a job description and person specification, and if a candidate had more qualifications than were called for to do the job then that wouldn't affect the salary for the position.

Hi everyone

thanks for replies, to be honest I agree with you all and don't think I am likely to get more money really, but they choose to pay us based on qualifications so thought it was worth a try! as you all said good will goes a long way xD might still have a look though especially as someone told me they were getting £8.50 for a keyperson wage :o which is way more than I do hehehe might tell them that just to see what happens :(

• 2 weeks later...

I created my own payscale relating it to the NHS one, looking at job advertisements and various other related pay schemes and related it to qualifications and the job responsibilities to make sure I could be v clear about why and what I was paying for certain staff and roles.

Would be more than happy to forward it to you but I must warn you I am a generous employer and expect a lot of work to complete qualifications at a high level and the motivation to work v v hard so pay scale reflects this but hey - it may go in your favour if it's generous?

I give additional benefits for those training as well such as peer group meetings, study days and a lot of time and effort into supporting them so don't know if it will be clear cut for you but you are welcome to it.

I created my own payscale relating it to the NHS one, looking at job advertisements and various other related pay schemes and related it to qualifications and the job responsibilities to make sure I could be v clear about why and what I was paying for certain staff and roles.

Would be more than happy to forward it to you but I must warn you I am a generous employer and expect a lot of work to complete qualifications at a high level and the motivation to work v v hard so pay scale reflects this but hey - it may go in your favour if it's generous?

I give additional benefits for those training as well such as peer group meetings, study days and a lot of time and effort into supporting them so don't know if it will be clear cut for you but you are welcome to it.

If you wouldn't mind forwarding this I would be really really grateful, although I am the manager everything goes through committee who don't really have a clue. I don't want to take advantage of anyone but have put myself through this training with no support from them and worked really hard and still got a year to go. I know its my professional development but then they are getting the benefit of all my experience and extra learning and to be honest would be 'nice' to get some recognition. Also one of my staff said that she wasn't sure about doing her next qualification up because of the money situation although she does understand the personal achievement etc... can't really blame her