Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supervisors/registered Person?

Hi One of my staff recently completed the lengthy form that would have made her an official supervisor within the group. Ofsted have returned it saying the responsibilty for making a member of staff a supervisor is now down to me, the registered person. Which is great, but I wanted her to supervise in my (and my deputy's) absence, does anyone know if I can nominate any of my team to run a session in my absence providing I've done all the correct checks etc. Thanks

Don't know for sure, b ut I'm thinking, obviously they hold at least Level 3 and have a good working knowledge of the Standards and have taken the Suitable Person's Interview, this would make me feel more confident and give me peace of mind - perhaps talk to your Insurance company too.

Don't know for sure, b ut I'm thinking, obviously they hold at least Level 3 and have a good working knowledge of the Standards and have taken the Suitable Person's Interview, this would make me feel more confident and give me peace of mind - perhaps talk to your Insurance company too.

Thanks very much for that, but Ofsted have said that it's up to me as the registered person to decide who is suitable. I'm just unsure as to whether Osted realise that I'm not always intending to be onsite which is why I want someone else to supervise. I have no problems with the staff member, she has worked for me for years and is more than capable. Do you or does anyone know if Ofsted still do "suitable person" interviews for any staff other than the manager?

Thanks

Hi

Suitable person interviews are only done on the manager (and chair of the committee) of the setting. It is down to the registered person ie the committee if you are committee run or the owner to recruit, vet, check, crb everyone else (even a deputy manager). Mind you OFSTED seem to want a "named deputy"...must be level 3 etc etc

At my pre-school we have 2 deputies that way when manager is off we always have at least one deputy in her absence no matter what shifts they work. I think you have to have a named deputy to act as manager ..could you not make her this?

Guest Spiral
Hi

Suitable person interviews are only done on the manager (and chair of the committee) of the setting. It is down to the registered person ie the committee if you are committee run or the owner to recruit, vet, check, crb everyone else (even a deputy manager). Mind you OFSTED seem to want a "named deputy"...must be level 3 etc etc

At my pre-school we have 2 deputies that way when manager is off we always have at least one deputy in her absence no matter what shifts they work. I think you have to have a named deputy to act as manager ..could you not make her this?

Thanks Marley,

Hmmm, having a second deputy could certainly be an idea - however money wise it's a concern.

Just thinking about the suitable person interview - if it is only done on the registered person and the manager, will I suffice as I am both at my setting?

Spiral

Hi

thanks Marley I hadn't realised that, I suppose Ofsted found it was doing to much admin work and thought they could hand it all over to us as usual, my prevous Deputy had to have a suitable persons interview - that was a long time ago tho. My new one will be delighted when I tell her tomorrow.

Hi Spiral

I dont know what your setting back ground is...if it is committee run then the registered person is them and not you, if it has an owner then the owner is the registered perosn. I am chair of the commitee and I am also the nominated person ie the one on the committee who OFSTED contact. I know some settings have the manager as the nominated person but OFSTED prefer it to be a committee member.

Have attached document that may make it clearer.

Committee_run_registered_childcare_provision.doc

Thanks Marley, our situation is I am the registered person (and owner) and I have a named deputy (Ofsted approved from many years back) we're getting on a bit :o and I want another named supervisor to run the group when neither me nor my deputy are there. So have I interpreted Ofsted's letter correctly in as much as I can appoint this 3rd person (or any other) to be in charge when no other Ofsted approved person is there? Sorry to be so "thick" about this.

Many thanks

I'm assuming that this new deputy is someone you've had for a while? ie Ofsted know she's there. She has the current requirements to run a session and she's happy to do it. It's just up to you then. You give her the role and inform the big O that you've done it, in writing. Make sure her Job description is done at the same time to avoid problems later!!

I'm assuming that this new deputy is someone you've had for a while? ie Ofsted know she's there. She has the current requirements to run a session and she's happy to do it. It's just up to you then. You give her the role and inform the big O that you've done it, in writing. Make sure her Job description is done at the same time to avoid problems later!!

Hi, Yes the "new" person has been with me for many years and Ofsted know about her, so I guess I'll go ahead and "Interview" her to become a "suitable person".

One more thing does anyone have any "Suitable Person" inteview person question & answer sheets? I'm wondering if there's a template or something around?

Many thanks, you've been such a great help