Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ad-hoc Contracts?

Hi, its my first time on here and feel I could be here all night reading all the topics. lol. dont think my other half is too impressed. I've only been minding for 5 weeks and only have 1 boy on a Friday at the moment.

His Mum and Dad have split up and have 50/50 parental responsiblity. My contract for Friday is with Mum and she has signed all permission slips etc. She asked me last Friday if I could have the boy on Tuesday for his Dad as he was struggling to get childcare. I agreed and have since wondered if I ought to do a contract and permission slips for the Dad to sign? He may require me again in the holidays. He did pay for his day so if my contract is with the mum would I have a leg to stand on if he didnt pay or had a dispute over something that needed permission?

2nd question, I am advertising for babysitting services and have had an enquiry for a one off to babysit at a hotel for 2 different families who have said they will provide baby monitors for listening in on the children. I have seen for sale on NCMA website some babysitting checklists and wondered if it would be a good idea to get some of these. Does anyone know what they contain? or how I would stand if the parents were to have a complaint about my servce???

Gosh so many things buzzing through my mind right now!

Thanks to anyone who can offer advise.

Louise

Hi, I'm not a childminder, but my initial thoughts on the 50/50 parents would be to get the dad to sign his own contracts with you....................I've had situations where one parent has refused to pay for a session booked by the other one, and it got very messy! Best to cover yourself, I think?

As to the babysitting, I personally wouldn't feel happy listening in through a baby monitor to another room.....can you recommend someone else to the families so they have a sitter each?

Hi Louise -

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for saying hello! :o

I can't answer your specific query as I'm not a childminder, but the subject of recovering fees that parents either dispute or just don't bother paying is a regular one here, so I'd imagine the consensus would be (as narnia says) to ensure you have contracts with both.

It's a bit quiet this week (half term) but I'm sure others will be along soon!

Hi Louise -

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for saying hello! :o

I can't answer your specific query as I'm not a childminder, but the subject of recovering fees that parents either dispute or just don't bother paying is a regular one here, so I'd imagine the consensus would be (as narnia says) to ensure you have contracts with both.

It's a bit quiet this week (half term) but I'm sure others will be along soon!

Thanks I think I will get contracts from the dad as well.

Thanks I think I will get contracts from the dad as well.

Hiya louisecliffe, welcome to the forum, Im a cm and would a) get contracts signed and permissions with the dad :o if two parents need your services, they should put one set of kids within the same room as the others for you to mind jointly ie with you in the room. Baby monitors I wouldnt feel happy about. How many kids are we talking about if only two young ones then the cots are moveable anyway. Make sure that you charge each family separately too as you are accommodating them both !

You havent asked re work but if you have a badge from NCMA or other saying your a childminder wear it !! everywhere !! but also ask if you can advertise in your local mums clinic and stick an add up in the local school/ mums and tots group. just a suggestion of course !! :) best of luck

The other thing I would check is that when parents say 50/50 care does this mean this has been undertaken by the courts and their is legal documentation to state this? - Check with the parents to see if the care is a legal split or if they have undertaken the decision themselves to do a 50/50 split. I am only saying this as sometimes with 50/50 care one partner can get upset with the other and then say that they refuse the other to pick up etc., Find out a little more and you may have to seek advice from your insurance company and the NCMA.

You will also need to do sepereate contracts and emergency slips to protect the child and yourself. Make sure policies and procedures are also signed by both parents. You will also need to establish in an emergency if the other parent is the next port of call to pick up - divorce and seperation can cause a few problems with your contracts if not signed by both parties. Find out who they want to pick up in an emergency situation (it could be the other persons new partner - but needs to be signed and sealed!)

It will be hard to dig deeply into personal details like this, but you need to do this and establish a good working relationship in order to look after the child and both parents.

Good luck

The other thing I would check is that when parents say 50/50 care does this mean this has been undertaken by the courts and their is legal documentation to state this? - Check with the parents to see if the care is a legal split or if they have undertaken the decision themselves to do a 50/50 split. I am only saying this as sometimes with 50/50 care one partner can get upset with the other and then say that they refuse the other to pick up etc., Find out a little more and you may have to seek advice from your insurance company and the NCMA.

You will also need to do sepereate contracts and emergency slips to protect the child and yourself. Make sure policies and procedures are also signed by both parents. You will also need to establish in an emergency if the other parent is the next port of call to pick up - divorce and seperation can cause a few problems with your contracts if not signed by both parties. Find out who they want to pick up in an emergency situation (it could be the other persons new partner - but needs to be signed and sealed!)

It will be hard to dig deeply into personal details like this, but you need to do this and establish a good working relationship in order to look after the child and both parents.

Good luck

Many thanks to everyone, definatley going to sort out a contract for dad and permission forms as well just to cover my own back. Still unsure re the babysitting thing, may just forget that one.

I am childminder - welcome to Forum - missed your question - was away at the time. Hope it all worked out ok.

Regarding babysitting, NCMA sell contracts and risk assessment checklists so that your insurance covers you when you are babysitting. Not cheap so you have to factor those costs and the time it takes to fill in forms into your charges.

Personally, I would babysit sleeping babies in different rooms with a listening device. If they were in their own home they would be upstairs while you read a book downstairs (in a perfect world).

And Hubby better get used to you furthering your education here on the forum. Best he get you your own computer!!!!

And... best to treat your Friday child as two separate children with regard to contracts.

Very best of luck,

Honey

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, its my first time on here and feel I could be here all night reading all the topics. lol. dont think my other half is too impressed. I've only been minding for 5 weeks and only have 1 boy on a Friday at the moment.

His Mum and Dad have split up and have 50/50 parental responsiblity. My contract for Friday is with Mum and she has signed all permission slips etc. She asked me last Friday if I could have the boy on Tuesday for his Dad as he was struggling to get childcare. I agreed and have since wondered if I ought to do a contract and permission slips for the Dad to sign? He may require me again in the holidays. He did pay for his day so if my contract is with the mum would I have a leg to stand on if he didnt pay or had a dispute over something that needed permission?

2nd question, I am advertising for babysitting services and have had an enquiry for a one off to babysit at a hotel for 2 different families who have said they will provide baby monitors for listening in on the children. I have seen for sale on NCMA website some babysitting checklists and wondered if it would be a good idea to get some of these. Does anyone know what they contain? or how I would stand if the parents were to have a complaint about my servce???

Gosh so many things buzzing through my mind right now!

Thanks to anyone who can offer advise.

I am a childminder and I would definitely do separate contracts.

as for babysitting service, i would check with your public liability insurance to check that you would be insured

Louise

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)