Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minimum Hours For Nvq3

Does anyone know if there are a minimum number of hours a candidate must work in a setting to gain NVQ level 3?

I ask because we had a volunteer who worked 2 sessions with us from the Autumn term and was doing her NVQ. She left us before Christmas to take on a paid position, but lasted only a few weeks. She asked the Chair at Easter if she could come back to us and she has, but I'm now a bit concerned. She only comes in for 2 hours per week, and has only done 4 hours since Easter, both times when her assessor has been in. She does not contribute to the setting in any way, just comes in to be assessed. This really bothered me today as the assessor was asking me questions about my practice, planning etc. When I said shouldn't she be asking the candidate these questions (as I already have my NVQ thank you very much!) she said the candidate needs to know the answers as she is doing level 3 and should be able to cover me in my absence! But surely the candidate should then be asking for herself?

I don't want to be mean, but I worked hard for my lvel 3, and this seems to be making a mockery of it all. :o

I know there definitely used to be a minimum number of hours but I'm sorry I don't know what it was, although I want to say over 100 easily. As for the NVQ student being able to cover you in your absence - a level 3 isn't the only thing required by my setting at least. Experience and common sense would also be very important - something which seems a little lacking here!

i think their is a minimum ....i know there def was when i completed L2 a few years ago -it was 15 hours, but it could vary from training provider to training provider.

i would speak to either her assesor or her tutor at college or head of dept. she cant possibly be learning everything by just doing a couple of hours a month. also for her just to be in the setting when being assesed doesnt sit right with me somehow.

if you are down as her placement, a certain amount of responsiblity for the training is being place with you - which you are unable to do if she is only there for assesments.

how is she completing assignments ?

also - its not enough to know about planning etc...she has to be able to demonstrate she contributes towards it and understands ' how it all works'

i agree with you -it does make a bit of a mockery of it.

Ours always had to do 16 hours a week in the setting and day release to the college... we had to change a students hours so she had 16 as she was working 15 a week...

would suggest contacting the provider for clarification.. and I would bypass the assessor...

She should definitely be doing more hours and be asking the questions herself.. but if she was doing everything in the setting she would not need to ask..

I always thought about the setting who were going to employ the person who may have the bit of paper but actually could not do the job... so tended to cause a stir if I thought someone was not doing enough..

She should have a 'time sheet' (for want of a better word) which you sign to say how many hours she's done.

I think attitudes vary from provider to provider, but when I was assessing (for a college)at the front of the NVQ handbook- the one that gets signed off- it did stipulate the minimum amount of hours required.

Ive just been enquiring about doing a level three and trying to get funding. Southport Workforce dept said that I needed to be working at least 15hrs per week within a nursery to qualify. if that helps at all. Have found my funding now and doing a homebased course - im a cm by the way. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)