Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rewards And Star Chart

What are your views - the trouble I am having is if I give a sticker to one child then all the children will want one.

My colleage gave some children stickers and not this child who did not tidy. this is fine however the Mother was very angry...............................................

Any views

Yes that can be a tricky one. I have always given stickers out and never had a problem with them but I can see how they might arise. I actually have sticker charts for the my children as I got sick of the children getting upset when they lost their sticker! This works well as I can see more clearly who has had stickers and try to ensure they all get one throughout the week or so. They get to take home their sticker chart when its full. My school has just implemented house teams and my children are actually more excited by being given a team point which they score on a board (no sticker) so don't actually think you need to use stickers. Interested to hear others opinions. x

My personal view is that stickers are great! they are a great way to celebrate things with the children - most of who LOVE getting given a sticker!! and to share things at home....

We have a wide variety of stickers - from "ask me what I did today", to more specific " I am a terrific tidier", "I am a lovely listener", "no tears today",

We do have those 'askers' whenever the stickers come out... and I just say "I'm still looking to see who deserves a sticker, doing good tidyint or whatever.

I also often given out tiny sticker to EVERYONE every now and again just for being brilliant!

If I had a situation where everyone was expected to do something (like listen to a visitor talking, or tidying up) then I would also not give a sticker to anyone who didn't do it BUT I would talk clearly to the child and then make sure that I told the parent while the child is listening - "lots of the children got a sticker today for sitting so nicely and listening when Mrs Smith came to tell her story but unfortunately Fred found it hard to sit still and stop talking today, didn't you Fred? but we have talked about it and you're going to try really hard next week aren't you Fred and we'll see whether YOU can get a sticker..." (I'm sure you get the drift!)

Otherwise the child just goes home and says "everyone got a sticker except me" and mum gets quite upset about it and I deliberately don't give Fred a sticker just out of principle! xD:(:o

I have to say I don't really think that stickers help to promote particular behaviours but they are a lovely part of our routine and do reward the children who just love it.

Hope that all makes sense!!

Hi, first post so be nice to me!

I am a reception teacher and at the start of the year I photocopy a class list to A3 and laminate it. I attach this to the middle of a display board then I attach old CDs/CD-Roms around it with an individual photo of each child in my class in the centre. I have a supply of shiny stars which have blue tak on the reverse and I stick them to the bottom on the laminated A3 class list. A child earns a star for effort, results, good manners, being kind etc. When they achieve 10 stars I stick a shiny rhinestone jewel onto their CD, remove the 10 stars and put them back at the bottom of the class list. Then the child starts earning 10 shiny stars again to achieve a jewel. At the end of the year, the children take home their CD with the shiny jewels.

It works really well and the children are excited about earning a star and also a jewel. It's good for numeracy etc. Children are often working out how many more stars do they need to achieve before they get a shiny jewel.

Hope this is useful to someone! :o

What a fantastic idea. I love it and am going to "steal" it next year with my Reception class. Thank you so much for sharing :o

I use stickers as a childminder and in nursery but since reading about the theory that being rewarded for doing something can cause chidlren to see an activity as less desirable I've changed how I talk about the sticker.

I now give stickers as a reminder that I feel proud of the child or that the child feels proud of him/herself. The pride and the praise are the rewards rather than the sticker. Then at the end of the day I will a ask a child to share with his or her parent what achievement the sticker is a reminder of.

That way the children don't tend to clamour for a sticker and if they do I ask them to think of an achievement they feel proud of that they can share with whoever picks them up. We can usually work out if they have something worth sharing or not.

It's over a year since I read it, Susan so I can't remember many details.

There was some research where some children ( I think in a reception class) were offered a selection of activities to choose from. Those who chose one particular one (possibly painting) were given extrinsic rewards like stickers for doing it. During subsequent sessions those children were observed to be more reluctant to choose that activity again. The hypothesis was that they saw it as less attractive because they had to be rewarded for doing it but that this applies only to extrinsic rewards like stickers and not to praise or pride.

I can't remember any names but I will be digging out some of the work I did around that time later for my research project so if I come across it will post more details.

Hi, first post so be nice to me!

I am a reception teacher and at the start of the year I photocopy a class list to A3 and laminate it. I attach this to the middle of a display board then I attach old CDs/CD-Roms around it with an individual photo of each child in my class in the centre. I have a supply of shiny stars which have blue tak on the reverse and I stick them to the bottom on the laminated A3 class list. A child earns a star for effort, results, good manners, being kind etc. When they achieve 10 stars I stick a shiny rhinestone jewel onto their CD, remove the 10 stars and put them back at the bottom of the class list. Then the child starts earning 10 shiny stars again to achieve a jewel. At the end of the year, the children take home their CD with the shiny jewels.

It works really well and the children are excited about earning a star and also a jewel. It's good for numeracy etc. Children are often working out how many more stars do they need to achieve before they get a shiny jewel.

Hope this is useful to someone! xD

Hiya and welcome, love this idea too and will pass this on to my sons reception teacher . I personally think stickers are great My kids love them despite their age and it doesnt demotivate them at all ( thank goodness cos I would really be stuck !!) :o

I use stickers and the children love to receive them - I do try and make sure that everyone gets a regular sticker (Reception class) though as it is all too easy to keep rewarding the same children. :o

My school also give out certificates - not just the ones in special assemblies but quick, easy ones where you just write their name on a pre-printed card which says "Mrs **** says "Well Done" to ______. Certificate awarded for excellent ...." and we have different types e.g. behaviour / tidying-up / effort / achievement etc

We encourage all the staff to give them out to anybody in the whole school, not just your own class - the children are always proud if Miss *** gives them one at playtime or for walking nicely to the hall etc

I love your CD idea too Millie

Guest LornaW
Hi,

Got the call yesterday that we are having an art observation the first day back after half term. I was wondering if anyone had ideas of what i could do for Handa's Surprise. I need to make sure i'm teaching the appropraite skills and techniques for Reception.

I thought about printing with fruits, maybe weaving but I also need an outdoor activity...

I'm the art co-ordinator and I need a secure plan as i may need to have to have supply cover for my class as i will be on a joint obeservation with the inspector.

Any ideas would be greatly apprecited!! :o

You could try this book it is excellent http://www.alfiekohn.org/books/pbr.htm

And this is excellent http://www.amazon.com/Birthday-Party-Confl...n/dp/1573791598

and this is a great article http://www.alfiekohn.org/parenting/gj.htm

Controvertial but when I started to apply this in class and in the school it made a huge difference!

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)