Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rewards And Star Charts

to reward or not to reward

to star chart or not to star chart

what are your views - how do you manage these - can they be used efficiently

It's my opinion that I think there's a case for them, and against them. There are children who will respond to this type of reward system and others for whom it's inappropriate for one reason or another.

I have quite a few children who LOVE getting stickers for things like 'great singing at songtime', or 'fantastic tidying up', or 'I used the toilet for the first time' and can't wait to share them with their parents. I think it can be used well, as an encouragement to other children, but if it's not done well, it can be counter-productive eventually

Quick edit to add that I wouldn't do a chart on the wall - I think that's a bit soul destroying for a child. A sticker, stuck on a jumper or in the home diary straight away, takes the happiness home

Edited by Cait

Hi twinkletwinklestar

You might find this interesting, talks about rewarding effort rather than results.

http://montessorimuddle.org/2010/03/12/praise-and-rewards/

I never say never but I haven't used reward charts in a pre-school setting.

I think they may offer short term results but longer term encouraging self-discipline helps children to think about why they do things (Bruce, 2005, p47).

'Im with Deb on this one... have lots of reasons.. some personal to do with own children's experiences.. all negative .. saw the other side as a parent and decided to not use them.. never did in over 20 years ...

I can see a benefit in a home environment with a definite purpose... but not for general things in a setting..

do a forum search there were some very good discussions on this a while ago..

I have to agree with doing them in a 'home' setting rather than a 'pre school' as have had good results at home but not really used them in any nursery setting. I also think praising the action not the child is effective in promoting the right behaviour such as ' good singing'

Some children who dont reach targets set by star charts in a setting may feel they are not achieving or getting there, however I also agree an instant reward of a sticker works or one in a contact book gives that immediate boost to a child, then they strive to do better.

Most children love a sticker on their jumper or coat at home time for all to see and be recognised for maybe.

I have used the correspondence books to inform parents of good sitting, or good listening and a drawn smiley face and it seems to work, positive feed back from the parents.

I do not allow star charts within the setting as I do not feel they work as they do with one child in the home environment. Positive praise and encouragement is far more rewarding then a sticker.......

just wanted other views, although I do like the cd approach

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)