Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby Names

Hi all

Our pbaby is due in October and my OH and i are just starting to mull over baby names. Hoever we are really struglling. We would like names which are not traditional but also not completely whacky. Any suggestions boy or girl would be very helpful

Lola xx

Hi

Found this website babynames and they have a section for unisex names and some of those looked a bit different but as you say not too out there

Good luck, we went round and round with our children's name but ended up with quite traditional Tom & Emily...well that's what they are officially called but we do have other names for them too xD:o:(

SUe

I remember being given a book of 10,000 Baby Names when I was pregnant - unfortunately 9999 of them were plain weird and we could barely pronounce them :o

We struggled for a boy's name that we both liked but I wasn't too worried as I was convinced we'd have a girl... and we did - Alexa Faye.

Alexa from the names of characters in 3 books I read while pregnant. I'd never heard it before and figured it was meant to be when it kept cropping up. I was daft enough to think that it wasn't a name that could be shortened either but she was Lex to Daddy within hours!!

Faye because my sister felt that Alexa needed a short, snappy name to sound right with our surname. I remember her, her husband and the dad-to-be spending 40 minutes practicing signatures, deciding whether Fay, Fae or Faye looked best xD

Have fun with choosing, you'll know whether you've made the right choice when you meet your baby - several friends have changed their choices as the baby "doesn't look like a XXXX"

Nona

I'd agree with Nona, both our boys had theIr names changed when we saw them. Sam was going to be Lewis and Richard was going to be Robert, but they didnt look like Lewis or Robert soap decision was made with the help of the midwife who ummd and arrd and finally said yes thats nice.

Good luck and dont forget to look at the final initials too, just check they dont spell ASS or PIG or some sych horrendous combination! :o

we thought long an hard about name and lots of criteria to follow.. sounds odd but we really did not want the initials to spell a name.. or any name to rhyme with surname... i wanted to ensure it was easy to write - spelling did not worry me.. but it was a consideration as to if we wanted an unusual spelling of a name.. how it sounded when spoken aloud.. family names? would we upset anyone if we used or did not use one... could it be shortened.. did we want one which could , if so was it a good shorter name or one we could not see used in the future.. always mindful of the name following through life and how children change the names... so much to think about ...

in the end we did use our choice of name and it worked for him, but as said sometimes it was a case of look at the baby and he or she is xxx used to work on a maternity ward for about 6 months and many did just that, looked at the baby and made a name choice then..

It was important for us to have Irish names and I had always liked Siobhan, so when we saw her we thought it was very appropriate. Christy was named after my uncle who had died some years before, although my dear other half's family always thought he was named after their Christy, so that was a bonus. Once again we didn't actually choose the name until we saw him, and both agreed he was definitely a Christy. Linford Christie had just won Olympic gold when I was in labour, and our midwife was convinced that influenced our choice of name!

Ronan was un-named for several days as we wrestled with several names. We liked Eamon (as in Andrews) but since I can't bear Eamonn Holmes and that's all I could think of when I thought of the name, that fell by the wayside. I have always like the name Seamus (had an lovely uncle by that name) but somehow it just didn't seem right. So Ronan he was, although had I been more aware of the music scene I might have avoided that too, with the popularity of BoyZone at the time. For most of his toddler years he thought he actually was Ronan Keating! :(

None of my children have middle names, so we neatly avoided the initials spelling out unfortunate words!

We didn't share any of the names we were thinking of whilst I was pregnant because I was worried that someone might react badly and that would put us off the name forever. Very few people are rude enough to pull a face when you tell them your newborn's name so it seemed much easier all round just to keep shtum.

For us there were other considerations too. We really liked Molly, but since my partner's surname is Littleford, we thought that was a bit of a mouthful. Fortunately MrsWeasley didn't look like a Molly. Although now that I think of that, it is funny that she chose MrsWeasley as her user name - isn't her first name Molly? :o

Sorry I'm going on a fine old ramble down memory lane aren't I? Good luck with whatever you choose for your baby, Lola. How about Charlie - that would be good for either sex! xD

Yes I think it's a tricky business choosing the 'right' name.

For my sons I gave them all two christian names and wanted William Edward for the first one but our surname begins with T and I remember my mum saying he would be 'WET' so he ended up Andrew William. He is now 32 and I am delighted he has remained Andrew, he very occasionally gets it shortened to drew but has never been an andy!

Then I have James Lawrence and again he is always James (except in the football team when he is known by a nickname!!) He was followed by Daniel John (occasionally gets Dan) and the 'baby' is Oliver David but has been Ollie for a long time! All the second names are family names going back generations and covering both sides of the family. Their first names are just ones we liked but I tried to get 'not everyday' names and ones that couldn't be shortened. I remember thinking Andrew wouldn't get references to Andy Pandy as that delightful character was long gone - he did have a time at primary school when he got 'andrex toilet tissue'!!!! My daughter would have been Rebecca Louise but sadly she was born too early for this world.

Very few people are rude enough to pull a face when you tell them your newborn's name so it seemed much easier all round just to keep shtum.

That made me laugh cos when we were having our youngest my MIL wasn't backwards about telling us what she thought about our possible names. Fortunately by that point I was chilled out with her antics and we kept coming up with more and more strange names for months just to wind her up! I suppose it was a bit cruel but it kept me sane during my pregnancy.

I guess I was lucky in that my daughter was named after the place I lived in when I fell pregnant. Thankfully, where I lived at the time was a girl's name! We did have a plan B for a boy!

My step children were named after people, one from the music business and one for popular TV of the time.

Like Happymaz I wanted Irish names for my children too. I knew from the beginning I was having girls (don't ask how) and was ready with the names Aisling and Siobhan. I had friends and a cousin with these names when I was growing up in Dublin and always loved the sound of the names. Aisling means dream or vision and is Irish for Esther. Siobhan is Irish for Joan (which worked out quite well as it was my mother-in-law's name) and means grace of God.

Good luck in your search....what an exciting time for you. :o

None of my children have middle names, so we neatly avoided the initials spelling out unfortunate words!

:o how do they know when they're in trouble.... Lex always says she knows she's in BIG trouble when she hears "ALEXA FAYE!!" xD

Nona

Can't believe I've just typed a big long reply to this then accidentally clicked the wrong button so instead of replying I deleted the whole thing!!!

Anyway, here goes again!

My son was called Ben up until the week before he was born, then I decided it was too common and changed it to Joshua. I'd never known of another Josh (except my cousin's cat!) but on the ward, after he was born and the name was decided, he was one of 5 Joshuas and in his class all through primary school there were 3! I'd thought it was a bit unusual but not so unusual that he'd get picked on for it... how wrong can you be??! His middle name is Lewis and I sometimes wish I'd picked that for his first name... Oh well

I'm happier with my choice of pet names, I have 3 cats, Oliver, Jacob and Lucy (Lucy's surname is fur- she cats are evil!!) and Penny the dog (She was a rescue dog and was 12 months old when we got her and her previous owners had called her Lady. I like real names for pets and so she became Lady Penelope, which was quickly shortened to Penny). We also had a cat called Bob, full title was Buzzy Bob because my, then 3 year old, son couldn't decide whether to name him after Buzz Lightyear or Bob the builder!

The moral of the story is... Research current popular names so as to avoid picking the number one name and don't let a 3 year old name your baby! Stick to those 2 rules and you can't go far wrong!

The moral of the story is... Research current popular names so as to avoid picking the number one name and don't let a 3 year old name your baby! Stick to those 2 rules and you can't go far wrong!

Oh, I'd agree with that!!

In the summer of 1998 I was talking with a then 4 year old I childmind and asked her what she'd like Mummy and Daddy to call the baby they were expecting in August. I certainly wasn't anticipating her reply.....

Osama!!!!!!!!!!

(after a little boy in Nursery, not THE other one!!)

Dad's face was a picture when I had the conversation again, in front of him... Osama Jones has quite a nice ring to it xD

However, Chloe arrived instead :o

Nona

i wanted to ensure it was easy to write - spelling did not worry me.. but it was a consideration as to if we wanted an unusual spelling of a name..

and PLEASE don't use text spelling... as in K8 (Kate)

or make up your own spelling...

at my friend's school they have a Kristofer and a Roobie

at another they have a Prince-Armani

Nona

and PLEASE don't use text spelling... as in K8 (Kate)

or make up your own spelling...

at my friend's school they have a Kristofer and a Roobie

at another they have a Prince-Armani

Nona

Krisofer is quite a common modern spelling of the name have had several come through the preschool over the years...

The Irish names always caused me problems with pronunciation and spelling... ans we had many of them through the years...

Aoife, Gráinne , Líobhan , Niamh , Róisín , Sorcha , being just a few of the many.... and those with inflections above the names used them One Niamh actually pronounced it as it is written so not the usual which also caused me problems... not very good with names took me ages to remember them all and the spelling, was so grateful for the self registration so I could see the spellings!

we have probably set up a big minefield for name choosing...

I spent all my pregnancies avidly reading the credits on every TV program and film! You'll see a wide variety of names that way.

I too would stick with more traditional spellings. I had one mother who used to bemoan the fact that no one spelt her childs name correctly but she had a very peculiar spelling, so it was no wonder!

I really liked the name Beth, but with a surname of Rowe it was unfortunately not a good combination - too close to Death Row!