Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Its Me Again And Guess What ?

waveawand

Hiya all, its been too long I know but things are going well with the minding -just thought I'd share this with you as its getting me down.

My youngest (three yrs) is due to start pre-school ( the one I prefer is not available till Sept) so looked at one across the road. Know the lady whom runs it well ( great respect for ) but couldn't believe what has been passed as " encouraging them to be independent".

My son was due to go into the "big room" where the three's and approaching school age kids go. I've visited twice staying for the duration of the session and couldn't believe how LITTLE WORK the staff do. Standing around observing kids milling around from inside to outside. Sometimes only one staff member present when ten or more ( I counted 13) kids were in the room. One small activitiy table with some super hero pictures to colour and a holder for sticky tape ( the old fashioned sharp one on the table). Me being me, and described by the manager as obviously "hands on", sought out some paints and brushes as my son wished to paint - was directed (by pointing) to a drawer where I duly dug out paints /brushes and paper and started assisting my ( just three in March gone) son with his chosen activity. Not surprisingly several other bodies appeared and so the "hands on" continued. No one approached me (staff) or commented on what I was doing.

No play dough visible/ no jigsaws visible / the books I looked at - I was trying to find one on road digging as we'd watched some that am - none to do with cars, trucks, farm vehicles the typical thing boys like ( and girls ) The boys ready for school this september where playing the same game I witnessed last week (ben ten) with various objects acquired to relieve the boredom- ( maracas from the music bit which I then had to explain that actually contact with a person would make someone cry......)

Staff -when they were there I asked about how they managed the kids and was quoted the staff/child ratios and seemed to miss the point that it was their involvement with the children I was asking about.

Said staff I overhead bemoaning the lack of coffee break !!! ( when do you ever get a hot drink during the day with kids ?) this was only one hour into the session !!!!!

Commented of course ( am I one to stay quiet ?!) very tactfully to the manager/head bod and was told " this may sound like an excuse but it isnt - we like them to be independent ready for school" !!!!!!!! I replied, but my son is only just three he isnt due to go to school till next Sept !- he cant reach the clips on the easel or do all the other things I did for him without some assistance . To which she said "oh I admit he would need some help".

Needless to say my son isnt going there. Ive found myself ringing the "private/Posh" nurseries which I never thought Id be doing - cant say I am looking forward to it but quite frankly it can only get better after what Ive seen.

I knew you'd all missed me !!! :o

Ps I also wiped at least three noses on both visits too, and could list various other things that happened but Im assuming that Ive told you enough already.

PPS If I ever have the funds Im setting up a preschool.... with proper caring attentive staff......

Hiya all, its been too long I know but things are going well with the minding -just thought I'd share this with you as its getting me down.

My youngest (three yrs) is due to start pre-school ( the one I prefer is not available till Sept) so looked at one across the road. Know the lady whom runs it well ( great respect for ) but couldn't believe what has been passed as " encouraging them to be independent".

My son was due to go into the "big room" where the three's and approaching school age kids go. I've visited twice staying for the duration of the session and couldn't believe how LITTLE WORK the staff do. Standing around observing kids milling around from inside to outside. Sometimes only one staff member present when ten or more ( I counted 13) kids were in the room. One small activitiy table with some super hero pictures to colour and a holder for sticky tape ( the old fashioned sharp one on the table). Me being me, and described by the manager as obviously "hands on", sought out some paints and brushes as my son wished to paint - was directed (by pointing) to a drawer where I duly dug out paints /brushes and paper and started assisting my ( just three in March gone) son with his chosen activity. Not surprisingly several other bodies appeared and so the "hands on" continued. No one approached me (staff) or commented on what I was doing.

No play dough visible/ no jigsaws visible / the books I looked at - I was trying to find one on road digging as we'd watched some that am - none to do with cars, trucks, farm vehicles the typical thing boys like ( and girls ) The boys ready for school this september where playing the same game I witnessed last week (ben ten) with various objects acquired to relieve the boredom- ( maracas from the music bit which I then had to explain that actually contact with a person would make someone cry......)

Staff -when they were there I asked about how they managed the kids and was quoted the staff/child ratios and seemed to miss the point that it was their involvement with the children I was asking about.

Said staff I overhead bemoaning the lack of coffee break !!! ( when do you ever get a hot drink during the day with kids ?) this was only one hour into the session !!!!!

Commented of course ( am I one to stay quiet ?!) very tactfully to the manager/head bod and was told " this may sound like an excuse but it isnt - we like them to be independent ready for school" !!!!!!!! I replied, but my son is only just three he isnt due to go to school till next Sept !- he cant reach the clips on the easel or do all the other things I did for him without some assistance . To which she said "oh I admit he would need some help".

Needless to say my son isnt going there. Ive found myself ringing the "private/Posh" nurseries which I never thought Id be doing - cant say I am looking forward to it but quite frankly it can only get better after what Ive seen.

I knew you'd all missed me !!! :o

Ps I also wiped at least three noses on both visits too, and could list various other things that happened but Im assuming that Ive told you enough already.

PPS If I ever have the funds Im setting up a preschool.... with proper caring attentive staff......

out of curiosity, what was their ofsted report like?

Oh, such a shame.

My dd goes to a lovely preschool where children are well supervised and looked after and cared for.

I would be complaining too

Doesn't it break your heart, and undermines all the wonderful provisions with nurturing caring practitioners, and on that note we have been on a lovely day out to the farm today, took my little treasures to visit the toilets and another nursery setting in their uniform i add were in there with a little one approx 18mths, another little one approx 2- 2.5 years, whilst the youngest crawled and clambered under the sinks and the other one couldn't reach the handryer to dry her hands, the so called carer was applying her blusher and lipstick, now for heavens sake we were at the farm.

Yes Bridger it does break your heart when you know how many good settings there are out there!

Might be on the wrong lines but I believe we are there to meet the child's needs but Not JUST to get them ready for BIg School

Sue

Ps I LOVE my lippy and blusher and admit I am made up with foundation at 7am when I set up I NEVER get the chance to reapply and WOULDn't with the children!!!!! EVER even with parents checking that i am not ill in afternoons I am fine just have a pastey face with no makeup when it wears off while playing with the children!!!! :o But thought that was my job!!!

Edited by Bigsue

Yes BigSue i really don't like that phrase either. It should be about nurturing each child to help them make progress and support their individual needs.

Surely if we are following the EYFS thats what we should be doing anyway, irrespective of them going off to school.

:o

out of curiosity, what was their ofsted report like?

that of course ( as we know) doesnt reflect anything really ( the first day they showed me the deputies sons file which was chocker as you'd expect ) but it was "good" !!!!! So goodness knows what or whom they brought in for the dayfor when Mrs O came to visit. Honestly Im not kidding here - there are two tables one for snack and the other for "activities" and the member of staff in the room at the time was grumbling about making yet another paper ben ten watch which at one point sheactually ignored the child and I made it instead !!.....

I am rethinking my respect here too by the way..... wish me luck with the Nurseries tomorrow ( its a posh area L37!)

nice to be back anyway :)

:o blimey, you wonder what they're like when they haven't got a parent visiting?!

I'd HAVE to phone Ofsted or the LA and point them in the direction of that setting - those poor children, "learning" to be ignored xD

Hope tomorrow's visit goes better....

Nona

Hi Waveawand, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences, and so I hope you have better ones at other places you choose to look at.

Depending on how your LA works, there is a good chance that they are already aware of this setting, and may already be providing support for it. Believe me, its unbelievably difficult to get a setting closed down, even if practice is consistently weak, and even removal of funding can be a long, arduous and drawn out process.

You do have a couple of options here. You can ask to speak to one of your early years team at your LA. They will have a procedure for handling complaints about settings, but you need to be specific about what you have witnessed. So for example, when there was one adult in the room, was the other adult nearby or off the premises (eg taking a child to the loo). Usually, certainly in my LA anyway, you would have to put your complaint in writing.

Your other option would be to complain directly to OFSTED. Again you would need to be quite specific about your complaints, particularly if you can refer to specific welfare requirements.

Even then, OFSTED will not always visit, and may be satisfied by the settings explanation of the events, but the complaint would be logged, and the LA informed (if you didn't already speak to them). In our LA if a complaint comes through via OFSTED, one of the team would always visit the setting, usually a development officer.

Hi Waveawand, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences, and so I hope you have better ones at other places you choose to look at.

Depending on how your LA works, there is a good chance that they are already aware of this setting, and may already be providing support for it. Believe me, its unbelievably difficult to get a setting closed down, even if practice is consistently weak, and even removal of funding can be a long, arduous and drawn out process.

You do have a couple of options here. You can ask to speak to one of your early years team at your LA. They will have a procedure for handling complaints about settings, but you need to be specific about what you have witnessed. So for example, when there was one adult in the room, was the other adult nearby or off the premises (eg taking a child to the loo). Usually, certainly in my LA anyway, you would have to put your complaint in writing.

Your other option would be to complain directly to OFSTED. Again you would need to be quite specific about your complaints, particularly if you can refer to specific welfare requirements.

Even then, OFSTED will not always visit, and may be satisfied by the settings explanation of the events, but the complaint would be logged, and the LA informed (if you didn't already speak to them). In our LA if a complaint comes through via OFSTED, one of the team would always visit the setting, usually a development officer.

Hiya all again, and thanks for all your comments and guidance. You know I havent even thought of taking it higher, thougth it was my "high standards" until the more I thought about it the more I couldnt believe that this "hands Off" approach the boss and the staff seem to think is okay.

The kids are happy - ish the staff are near enough. My main gripe is that the kids are left to think completely for themselves as to what they want to do. The stuff is there but not out ready for them to go to - this is what I find strange. Also the lack of interaction except when asked directly - the staff give. Ive not that much experience of nursery set ups and how they work, but it seemed wrong to me.

The boss lady seemed quite comfortable with what they were doing and they are busy enough. She did welcome my thoughts and said that if it wasnt for me that was fine. It most certainly isnt - jamie seemed happy getting involved unaware of course of my concerns. it just all seemed rather lacking in structure and interaction.

Anyway off to the other nurserys now so will let you all know what I find - lets hope there is someone there over Twenty !!!!

thanks again one and all

Forgotten how great the support is from you ladies

:o