Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Travelling Communities

Hi All

Our topic is circus and i would like to do a PSE input on travelling communities, their homes, schooling, lifelstyle etc.. however i am struggling to find any material for the session. Any ideas would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks

Lola

took me a while to remember where we got our resources from... we had a local traveller service who had boxes of materials we could use in the preschool and theygave us some books they had . Think you can buy the books but not sure it was a while ago I last spoke to them..

avon traveller consortuim has the books listed, may be worth contacting your local LEA to see if they have any useful links or places you could get more information..

Guest TinklePrincess

There is a magazine specifically for the travelling community, you might be able to get a lot f information from that... I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of it but I'm sure a google search will help?

As Inge says you should have a local taveller service advisor in or near your area.

When our lady came in to talk with the children she told a story, brought a caravan in which led to lots of interesting discussions.

Might be worth a try. :o

Guest TinklePrincess

I'm really interested in travellers, specifically gypsy roma travellers, however, I've not had the chance to learn much about them during my ECS degree. We did a session once on them, I think it was about EAL. When I can get to my books, I'll see if I still have the notes... Shows such as My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, although interesting, don't show many travellers' true lives...

As Inge says you should have a local taveller service advisor in or near your area.

Unfortunately many are being axed in the cuts. Ours has gone completely now and all the resources too.

There was a Dorling Kindersley book published around 2000 from memory which had children with different lifestyles in it and featured one of the then children from Zippos circus (which amused our children no end because my school was one of their schools when they travelled!)

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)