Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pay Rise..how Long Since You Had One?

We were almost four years, and I said this was unacceptable as the cost of living had risen so much - especially petrol/fuel in the last few months, and many of our staff have no other option than to drive to work.

We are a privately run session pre-school and money was found for payrises. Average rise of 50p per hour.

Our staff had one last year but as of this morning when I saw the most recent bank statement I've been thinking staff might even have to have a wage cut. They are currently paid for 4 hours a week paperwork so that might have to go. I hate the idea though. Its not as if they are paid much anyway :o

We are a pre-school and I have tried each year to put wages up a little. This year the funding has not risen and we have lower numbers for September so I am sadly unable to make a pay rise for my staff. Its so annoying as I value them in their job but finances do dictate.

Sue

I'm really lucky to have staff who have been involved at the playgroup for years as parents or committee so they all understand how it works, otherwise I'd worry about them leaving. I know 3 years ago council NNs were on £9.00 an hour!!!

I'm really lucky to have staff who have been involved at the playgroup for years as parents or committee so they all understand how it works, otherwise I'd worry about them leaving. I know 3 years ago council NNs were on £9.00 an hour!!!

Yes, It does make a huge difference if you come to work in a charity run playgroup having been on the committee side of things, besides myself there is only 1 other member of staff who are ex-committee and we really don't expect anything, we are also the 2 who end up buying everything ourselves where as every one else puts their reciepts through to claim money back.

We are on £6.20 an hour and minimum wage is going up to £6.10.

And for those looking for money trees, unless the new government has reviewed this, all employers are supposed to start contributing to pensions sometime soon - I think April 2012 off the top of my head - which will add 3% to the wage bill instantly if it goes ahead. Brilliant idea, and all preschool staff deserve better pay and conditions, but I haven't found the money tree yet. Haven't looked recently to see if this proposal is still going ahead. We've been increasing staff pay by increasing non-contact hours, but we've also been taking new people on at lower rates that we used to which is very sad and means we get a higher turnover of junior staff.