Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cause And Effect Toys For Under 3's?

Recently had my inspection. Was told I need to provide more cause and effect toys. what kind of things can I use?

we call then "toddler toys" things like v-tech phones/ pre-computers, things that pop up or bleep and flash when the children explore them.

also consider traditional toys like spinning tops, jack in the box we've collected a few interesting wooden toys from craft fairs over the years

Yes she mentioned the things that prepare them for computers etc. Is there anything out there that doesn't have the American accent?

Yes she mentioned the things that prepare them for computers etc. Is there anything out there that doesn't have the American accent?

Personally I'd stay away from ones with any kind of accent! I liked Cait's links - lots of good ideas and toys there that didn't involve a disembodied voice speaking in response to something the child did.

I wouldn't really think of these toys as something to prepare children for computers though - just good (and sometimes old fasioned) toys that enable children to make discoveries and get a reward for working out what the toy does. My children liked the ones where a figure was hidden inside a box so that when they turned a particular knob it popped up like a jack in the box. Or one where you have to push down a figure on one part of the toy only for another figure to pop up at another place.

Good luck wit your searches - nothing like having a focus for your retail therapy!

I'm not fond of the idea of preparing children for computers either - plenty of time for that and they'll be with them for the rest of their lives. Time to play with 'real' toys while they can, unencumbered with 'over techy' stuff.

My minded children like the Pop up Pals toy where they press a button or turn a switch to make the animal pop up

or the Mix & Match Ark (similar to the old one armed bandit - press 2 buttons either side to match the front and back of an animal, then the button in the middle to pop up a picture of that animal)

I also have a Fisher Price caterpillar that sits upright, they feed him the ball, it rolls down his arms and out of the bottom - at the same time flashing a light and making a noise when it reaches the bottom.

I tend to find these types in the charity shops, they're usually a few years older and date back to when it wasn't deemed necessary for children's toys to have all the electronic bells and whistles :o

To be honest I also try to steer clear of the more electronic toys with flashing lights and American voices :rolleyes

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)