Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pay For Key Person Time

This is really interesting as I am wrestling with this very thing at the moment.

Like others, I let staff go to assemblies, sports days, pay for attending training courses, time off in lieu for evening training etc but haven't paid them for time spent on learning journals and there is mumbling at the moment from some quarters so I'm wondering what is best.

I have a couple of people who are very slow so I don't feel an amount of time per child would work. They are also not that great at doing that side of the job so they have less key people so I am thinking about an amount per key child.

Really, I'd prefer it to be done at the setting though, so I can keep and eye and support and monitor and work out why it is taking some people so blooming long. Maybe I will go with someone's suggestion of a half day a month as I think an hour a week would get wasted (I've tried it before).

My rates of pay are quite generous for a non-council setting which I suppose is why I have expected people to just do it as part of the job. But that is probably quite unfair.

I should be doing my Learning Journals now, rather than posting on here!!!

Two of us have 11 key children each , 2 have 9 each and one who started yesterday will have 6 with support from the two of us with the most key children.

This week, in order to get them out before Easter, all staff have had at least half a day in the setting. I have asked them to stay in the room so they are a 'body' if needed. It was the only way to get them done.

we used to pay an hour a week, in the setting... so children helped and others were there if needed... this was for 8 journals... if they took longer or shorter that was their choice...

but now I think I would go with someone to cover a session or a day a week while the others take turns so do the journals in the setting.. this way they could be in the setting for help.. children could have input, and we could take the time needed... we did have a quiet area for them to sit in and we could have an area away from the children if needed which was suitable... this would cost the same as 6 staff 1 hour a week...

Edited by Inge

At ours each key person gets an hour per half term per key child, apart from me as I know how much is in the bank xD

No, it's not enough, probably never will be! It's not contracted and is seem as a 'bonus'. Payment is reliant of me receiving their PRAMS data which has been a godsend for keeping on target.

I had a debate with somebody who used to manage a setting. I'm having problems with staff who are time watching and moaning if tidying up takes them an extra 10 minutes past what their paid for. Frankly my answer to this is tough! :o

Her concern was that many practitioners are in post because it is a job first and foremost, which is fair enough. She argued that back in the day the only people in early years were there because they believed, they were passionate about early years and the work they did. Now I know this is still the case for many, myself included because I sure aint in it for the money! It's this passion that drives us, the belief that what we do REALLY MATTERS is our motivation, therefore we're prepared to go the extra mile. including many hours worked unpaid! I agree that where this is lacking work is of a lower standard and staff are reluctant to do anything JUST because it benefits the children.

Many positives to an increased and higher profile for early years practitioners, but losing this attitude of doing what it takes to get the job done to the highest standard is a shame.

Therefore, I've been considering the idea that by not paying non contact time so rigidly might actually sort the wheat from the chaf :(

I should probably run and hide now, just another perspective!

The only thingthat bothers me......

i have 11 key children (the most)...yet all staff are paid 1 hour per half term. Inupdate them twice per ter half term and it takes a good few hours. What does annoy me is manager has just had to have a "go" at a staff member for not updating their files and they only have 3 to do!!! I might ask that ther be another system put in place as surely this is not fair.

Edited by marley

Surely if the number of key children per staff vary, then the fairest way to pay would be per child? If one staff member spends longer than another on each one then so be it. Either the one taking longer needs to speed up or someone needs to check that the one doing it quicker is doing it correctly.

I dont pay like this as my staff all have the same amount (occasionally my deputy has one extra) I pay one hour per month and allow one member of staff (on a rota basis) the last 30 minutes of each session. However I have one staff member who feels that this is nowhere near enough time and another who feel sit is really generous. One of them updates quite a lot of hers with her children, which is fine, another rewrites everything as she feels it all looks so messy, again that is fine and it is entirely up to her.