Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Setting Up A Playgroup

Hi

I know there are lots of posts already on this subject but just looking for some input around setting up a playgroup.

I am currently a playgroup manager of a committee run playgroup.

Now I know an area where a group of parents are have a petition going for the LEA to open a nursery closer to them, with cuts can't see it happening. The primary school doesn't have a nursery and instead is a 15/20 min bus ride so cost of daily bus fares and also timings for dropping off and picking up siblings etc from the school means a lot of parents are feeling robbed of their free entitlement for their 3 year olds.

Now I am up for a challenge and feel it would be a fantastic opportunity to grab and set up one in the area. The school currently has one but only open 3 mornings and doesn't claim funding(long story) but the parents have sourced a potential building on the school site that is currently not used. I don't want to tread on the toes of the current leader but parents have asked her repeatedly to increase hours and days and begged her to claim funding.

Now I am going to contact the LEA with my proposal and speak to some of the parents too.

I am not sure whether to go for it as a committee run playgroup and obviously hope parents come on board but is it the Chair who has to be the suitable person or can I be registered or do I try and source loans/funding to set up as my own business.

Any hints or tips/ guideance or advice would be very much appreciated please.

Guest Spiral

WOW,

you are a brave person who deserves to succeed as your determination and dedication shines!

Certainly have a look at the PLA website and also look at the 'committee' area of this forum as it may help you to decide.

I have been involved in committee led sessings for nearly a decade and find them very difficult to balance as sometimes there are people who tend to know best, HOWEVER, if you decide not to be committee led and go for ownership then you will have to understand employment law, wages, tax, annual accounts etc all by yourself.

Are you able to visit any settings yourself and have an informal chat with the managers?

Best of luck,

Spiral :-)

I opened my own Pre-School in July '09, I set it up as a Ltd Company, and I suppose the initial start up probably cost about £15,000.

I rent a classroom from my local Primary School, have you spoken to the school yet with regards the building on the school site? It took quite a while for my license to be set up and agreed (not the school taking time but the LA).

If I can help in anyway please shout!!

Kris

WOW,

you are a brave person who deserves to succeed as your determination and dedication shines!

Certainly have a look at the PLA website and also look at the 'committee' area of this forum as it may help you to decide.

I have been involved in committee led sessings for nearly a decade and find them very difficult to balance as sometimes there are people who tend to know best, HOWEVER, if you decide not to be committee led and go for ownership then you will have to understand employment law, wages, tax, annual accounts etc all by yourself.

Are you able to visit any settings yourself and have an informal chat with the managers?

Best of luck,

Spiral :-)

I am currently in a committee run setting and so know the frustrations of having one. Thinking of taking the plunge and going for own company. If my friend who had agrophobia can succeed in her business then I know I can

Thank you everyone for your support and offers to answer any questions