Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk Assessments

Hi there I am a newly registered Childminder and am feeling very overwhelmed by all the paperwork that comes with starting up!!!

One thing I have found difficult is risk assessments, mainly because the sheet we are given to follow is pretty rubbish.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how else to set out a risk assessment for each of the rooms in my house plus garden and outings!

I sort of have an idea but am not very good at wording stuff.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi - I have all mine as a PDF link on my website and have sent you a link so you can see how they are done. I have just got my second Outstanding grade and the inspector liked them.

You need columns for Hazard, level of risk, control measure, notes.

Go through each room and see what you think might be a hazard, then work out whether it is high/medium or low risk, then what you are going to do to reduce the risk. Leave the notes blank until you have something you need to note.

So in my kitchen:

hazard - knife draw - high risk - control measure: no unsupervised access to kitchen, magnetic lock to drawer.

hazard - cleanign chemicals - medium risk - control measure: no acess, in wall cupboard, magnetic lock, use white vinegar etc

Really the important part is the thinking it through, not the writing it down.

Really the important part is the thinking it through, not the writing it down.

That's a really good point. Sometimes when I find something we are about to do is quite risky, I take a photo or two. I then rename the pics. One to show what the risk is, and others to show how I moderate the risk.

This is just an interim record but does remind me when I look back at the pics.

Honey

i just have sheets with item/benefit/risk/control as the titles at the top (very simple!!!) so it would say for instance wooden toys/build and balance (or links to eyfs etc)/splinters/examine before use...this is very simplified but im sure you get the idea

my risk assessments for areas follows similar lines but may mention individual children and goes in to more depth...(p.s. the idea about the benefit first is that benefits must outweigh risks or you shouldnt be doing it...so if you want the children to use an electric drill is what they gain from doing this more than the problems that may occur)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)