Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scissors In Fs1

Hi everyone-

If you were planning a session for nursery, would it be usual practice to leave a cutting and sticking activity out during continuous provision? The TA would be circulating and supporting all children in the room while they were involved in child initiated activities and the teacher leading an activity with a small group.

Or would it be better for the TA to be sitting at the table with the scissors?

All help appreciated. Thanks so much :o

I think it depends on the children. I have 3 or 4 in Preschool who I can quite confidently leave cutting with only overview supervision from elsewhere in the room. Other children need more support to use scissors so need one to one and the rest are somewhere in between.

Depends on the children. If you're satisfied that they know certain rules i.e. no cutting clothes/hair, correct way to handle them etc, then a glance over during the activity might be enough. If they are new to scissors and need assistance or supervision you might want to keep an adult clse by.

It varies a lot at playgroup because children start throughout the year so we have lots of different ages and abilities, so we tend to always have an adult at the activity just to supervise and remind.

Thanks - I have to write a plan for Nursery showing independent learning activities and wanted to make sure I wasn't suggesting anything that was a big NO!

I can always discuss considerations made afterwards, as long as I know that what I have planned is normal practice. :o

We have scissors available as part of continous provision in both the craft and graphics area , with minimal supervision , as long as they are safety scissors and the children are instructed in safe use and the rules it's not an issue . ( Our children are 2-5 in both areas) Scissors need to be available for children to be able to master thier use - if they are put up out of reach most of the time they will never learn how to use them safely and competently. :o

We allow ours to use the scissors unsupervised now. In September they were supervised as we got to know the children. Now they use them as and when they choose. There are enough adults to always be close enough if something goes awry. The children will also speak out if they see something that is not allowed. The safety aspect of scissors has always been stressed with them. We do not have safety scissors, just ordinary scissors for children. Our children are 3-4yrs in a school nursery.

Edited by katekit

perrhaps ask what they are used to as each setting varies...I have always had free use of scissors supervised form a distance for children in the settings I have worked in, but have come across many who would not even consider it..

Can occasionally cause issues with some parents though.

perrhaps ask what they are used to as each setting varies...I have always had free use of scissors supervised form a distance for children in the settings I have worked in, but have come across many who would not even consider it..

Can occasionally cause issues with some parents though.

in my setting scissors are always available for the children to select during child initiated time - we tend to have an adult floating around in the craft area and it is a case of know your children!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)