Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq Valid?

We have had an application from someone with an NVQ in homebased childcare (and a PGCE in secondary teaching), for a senior postion in our nursery. Does anyone know whether this would be valid in a nursery setting. She also has many years of childcare experience.

I have the Diploma in Home-based childcare, as every topic we covered (Children's Rights and Devlopment, planning, Safeguarding, Working with Parents) was relevant to any role in Early Years. We just looked at it from the perspective of homebased childcare.

Homebased chidcarers have to carry out every role within their setting - SENCO, Health and Safety, CP, etc etc. They also work alone without the support of colleagues or a management structure. She may well have been inspected in her home-based setting. Her Ofsted report will be entirely about her own role.

I looked a the CWDC database here and found that the CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Homebased Childcare is full and valid, but I couldn't find an NVQ. Keep looking though - I might just not be searching for the right thing!

Hi

with regards the I'm afraid that doesn't count as I have a relief member of staff with this qualification and the email I received from the CWDC was:

Thank you for contacting the Children’s Workforce Development Council.

Do you want to know if the practitioner that holds the Secondary Education PGCE can be counted in the legal staff to children ratios? If that is the case then they cannot as they do not hold a full and relevant early year’s qualification.

If this practitioner would like to have a full and relevant qualification that will enable them to be counted in the ratios then they would need to embark on a full and relevant qualification such as the EYPS course. If they wish to do this course they can contact course providers to find out when they are next enrolling. Details of the course and the list of course providers can be found below.

When I spoke to the member of staff she certainly wasn't interested in the EYPS (she is only relief :o ), although the constant mention of not being counted in the legal staff to children ratios seemed a bit strange! As obviously we do count her as there are always at least 4 level 3's there as well!

Kris

Do you want to know if the practitioner that holds the Secondary Education PGCE can be counted in the legal staff to children ratios? If that is the case then they cannot as they do not hold a full and relevant early year’s qualification.

But robinsnest's staff member holds a Homebased Childcarer qualification as well as her PGCE, and this may well be valid. I must admit my first thought was to wonder if she'd like to do EYPS... :o

Maybe there is an interpretation issue here. I have a Diploma in Home based childcare (DHC) which I spent a short time converting to an NVQ3 CCLD (Child Care Learning and Development). This is the same NVQ3 CCLD undertaken by any childcare level 3 with the specific unit about settings relating to the Homebased setting as opposed to a Day Care Nursery.

It's just a matter of specifics, and I have been assured that my qualification is relevant in any childcare setting. Of course it may not be the NVQ3 CCLD that she has.

Honey

I agree Honey - the database needs quite specific direction as to what to look for!

Incidentally, I was quite impressed that the database now gives you a proposed training plan for practitioners who want to identify their 'next steps'. I'm sure it only used to appear when your qualification wasn't full and valid, and then it would tell you what you needed to do in order to get a fully recognised early years qualification. A step in the right direction, I think!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)