Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Signing In

Our regsiter is similar to others, we have the time in and time out columns with the times as

Actually what was questioned at out last inspection was our 'loose leaved' register. I print the sheets off every half term andthey are kept in a zipped ring binder. She saiid they should be in a bound book, so no one could 'rip' out a page and 'loose' it as has happened, she said it happened once in an insurance case. SO I got very indignant and siad I found it really insulting that they were saying I wasn't trustworthy enough to keep a legal document without tampering with it and if that was what they thought I could do then I really wasn't fit to be in charge of children!!

To say nothing of the extra work they would be making for me. She can back the next day apologised, said she had spoken to her Manager and they had agreed that our format was acceptable and that she had never meant to imply that we would commit anything illegal.

I too was questioned about loose leaf accident book system, and felt the same as you, however, I now print the form the way I want it, but paste it into a notebook with numbered pages, and yes it is a pain. She never mentioned the loose leaf register tho!

At my last setting we had a loose leaf accident book and register - we just numbered each page, that way no pages could be removed. simples.

The Pre-school Learning Alliance sell registers where you can enter the time in and out. I have always used these and they meet Ofsted approval. I wouldn't dream of getting parents to sign their child in, I would have too long a queue, and a lot of unhappy parents.

The children self register like others have said with a name tag on a tree , but they are always entered in the register by the Supervisor as well.

• 4 months later...

sorry to bring this conversation up again ...does anyone know if this info has changed...our LEA have said today that we must get parents to sign their children in and out which will mean we have to get rid of the newly purchased registers /make our own and come up with a safe and secure way of using them :o

my development worker and our childcare officer!! (you know who i mean!?! :o )

Did they explain why this is necessary and give any advice how you can achieve it? Mrs Ofsted was more than happy with the way we recorded children's arrival/departure times.

I do know of a local group who does this - they have a clipboard with a pen in their reception area, and the parent just writes the name of the child, the time they arrive and they sign it, I think. I'm not sure how they police it in terms of checking that all parents do it. My guess is that parents just accept it as part of the routine. But I do wonder whether it causes a bottleneck at arrival and departure times.

Did they explain why this is necessary and give any advice how you can achieve it? Mrs Ofsted was more than happy with the way we recorded children's arrival/departure times.

I do know of a local group who does this - they have a clipboard with a pen in their reception area, and the parent just writes the name of the child, the time they arrive and they sign it, I think. I'm not sure how they police it in terms of checking that all parents do it. My guess is that parents just accept it as part of the routine. But I do wonder whether it causes a bottleneck at arrival and departure times.

i havent had any problems in the past ...we sign each child in and out with the time of their arrival and departure. We have two registers (one for the am and one for the pm, as we are sessional and so everyone is definitely in there!! also we have a notice board by the front door on which we record if their are any messages for the day( eg Dad picking up MB today etc etc,)

The Lea were suggesting that it was a safeguarding issue and that all children who leave early or arrive late must be sign in /out be parents at the very least.... i asked several questions about this but i felt the response was not very clear .....debating ringing ofsted as this could be one of those 'toilet roll'issues (you know the rumours that get out of hand!)

I have some parents who really dont pay attention in the morning and will probably sign for the wrong child! :o

Edited by finleysmaid

Interesting. We only ever recorded when a child was collected by another adult, when we asked the parent to write in our child collection book and the person who was collecting would also sign it before they could take the child away.

I wonder if this will come out at some training event this term, or an email to everyone? I also wonder if children at our local school and state nurseries have been given the same advice?

Interesting. We only ever recorded when a child was collected by another adult, when we asked the parent to write in our child collection book and the person who was collecting would also sign it before they could take the child away.

I wonder if this will come out at some training event this term, or an email to everyone? I also wonder if children at our local school and state nurseries have been given the same advice?

I was quoted a pre-school who have had an issue with this but i have just checked their ofsted report and they were not recording the times in and out ( we already do this)..nothing to do with the parents signing!...I also asked the question about the EYFS in schools and was told that as they were inspected under a different system then this did not apply! HUMMMM...im not happy about having loose sheets (even if kept in a folder and numbered) i feel it is too easy to remove a page and make corrections...something that we are unable to do in our current reg books.

This is very tricky isn't it? I do know of a scenario where knowing which parent dropped off or collected a child on a particular day was really important, but there is something here about striking a balance between safeguarding children adequately and not going over the top with paperwork systems that get in the way of the day job.

What did you agree in the end? You could easily knock up a register that would fit the bill and bind it all up, but you'd need one page for each day instead of one page per week, and you'd have to think about your greeting and departure routines to enable all parents to sign. Maybe you could use children's pictures instead of their names so that parents don't get confused!?

Sorry. Am feeling a bit facetious tonight! :o

always good to talk these things through :o and im still a bit confused ...i think i will have to ring ofsted on monday...and then make a decision...ready for my inspection on Tuesday xD i really dont feel it will add anything to our safeguarding but if i have to of course i will do it...but feel its just another thing to complicate the morning (add to that new opening and closing procedures/ a new check list for the risk assessments/ a new opening procedure for the garden a new opening procedure for the kitchen (oh and the daily diary for this) and i might as well just stop trying to 'play' with the children...argh think i'm losing the plot :(

We have used loose leaf sheets for years. One side has the 'register' and the other side has the in/out recordings. A sheet per day for a half term. The register is done as children arrive when the door opens at 9:00am and any late comers are recorded with their time of arrival.

Rachel

P.S be interested in your check list for risk assessments finleysmaid, thats something I didn't quite complete this summer!

We have used loose leaf sheets for years. One side has the 'register' and the other side has the in/out recordings. A sheet per day for a half term. The register is done as children arrive when the door opens at 9:00am and any late comers are recorded with their time of arrival.

Rachel

P.S be interested in your check list for risk assessments finleysmaid, thats something I didn't quite complete this summer!

i have several documents relating to this rachellps...what do you want more specifically ...a risk assessment of things the children are 'exposed' to /or an opening list(might be a bit specific to us but happy to include if it helps) if you tell me what you want it to cover i'll see which one fits the bill! :o

can i just check,,,from what you say about the registers you dont get parents to sign?

i have several documents relating to this rachellps...what do you want more specifically ...a risk assessment of things the children are 'exposed' to /or an opening list(might be a bit specific to us but happy to include if it helps) if you tell me what you want it to cover i'll see which one fits the bill! :o

can i just check,,,from what you say about the registers you dont get parents to sign?

Re risk assessments either might be useful and no we don't get parents to sign.

Rachel