Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Incidents -what Goes In Your Book?

Hi all, help please.

We don't have an incident book at the moment and I can't seem to find a list of what counts as an incident. Some people list existing injuries and biting, others put them in the accident book. Is there a definitive list? (It's probably somewhere obvious like the EYFS book but I'm sure someone out there knows :o )

Sue

We put anything in ours that does not fit well into any other category,

so not an accident or injury.

For instance a child had a particular behaviour which gave us cause for concern, or we felt was inappropriate.

Parents would have the incident explained and then sign to say that it had been disclosed to them.

One page, one incident in a exercise book, for confidentiality.

Hope this helps. :o

Not a definitive list, just anything of concern that you want to note -

near miss accidents,

poor behaviour

use of time out etc

use of physical restraint

concerns

We debated endlessly over this (staff and I) what was an accident and what was an incident, in the end I did a sheet per child (kept in their files) for existing injuries and labelled as such. And an incident sheet per child, where anything that isn't an accident would be put - so if it was a bite the bitten child would go in the normal accident book- the biter would go on the incident sheet. Some children leave us after 2 years with blank incident and existing injury forms, others after just a few months need additional ones!! Not sure what Ofsted will say about it as they haven't been in since we introduced it but it works for us.

ok i can only tell you what we do ...i know that there is no definition from ofsted as i have asked them before...they also have no definition of an accident!

we have an accident book...to record accidents for children and staff that happen in our care

a prior incident book....accidents that have happened out of our care that need to be recorded (child coming in with head injury/bruises etc etc)

a behaviour book for serious behaviour issues eg biting /something where you have to restrain

an incident book...record of child protection issues

Essentially we have the same as finleysmaid although they have slightly different titles. Our behaviour book uses the ABC format and the incident book uses a narrative format, albeit dealing strictly in facts. We record in this in chronological order for each child so we can see quickly a pattern forming, but obviously with different sections for each child. Thankfully we rarely have anything in it!

Thank you so much for your help, I think I'll follow Finsleymaid's method as we already have behaviour logs and prior injury forms. Sorry I sounded a bit peremptory in my first post, I was trying to do three things at once (As usual). Thank you all though, it's wonderful to have somewhere to ask for help. :o

Hey :o

Has anyone done a pro-forma for behaviour/biting type incidents? that something that i dont record, which ive been feeling that i should, but as things dont happen often ive not prioritised it. Would be grateful if anyone could share. We have incident reports, accident forms, and the ofsted comments/complaints forms in seperate files.

Ali :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can I also ask do you get the parent's signature of the child who has had to be entered into the incident book?

We use the PLA book but this doesn't ask for a signature, and I feel this is wrong - if a child has done something that makes you put it in the book in the first case then surely a signature is required to say that you've told mum?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)