Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

We have been advised to have a book for each area of learning ie blocks, home area, arts and crafts etc and having difficulty sourcing the correct ones. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am going to try Amazon but really not sure what to be looking for exactly.

Guest terrydoo73

Sorry not made myself clear - for instance in the home corner I would really like a food book that has lots of pictures and small amount of words for the children themselves to enjoy, similarly in the water area water books! I know it is strange idea but just do not know where to start looking as such - have tried charity shops but no real joy. I am using a local book library for our actual books within our book corner to give a variety of books for them to really sit down and enjoy but want to buy some lasting resources to add to our equipment list if you understand me!

I have a range of books just called 'SAND', 'WATER', which are just these kinds of things..... but they are at pre-school and I am not until Monday...

I've had a quick look on Amazon and can't see them - but I can look on Monday and post their details if you would like...

try going for anything from dorling kindersley ...they are nearly all photographic books and beautifully presented. I have a small setting and dont have space to put books in other areas...and they change all the time....but i like the idea. Who suggested it and what was the reason?

We do have some books in other areas which relate to the are in question, so books about the farm, trains, etc in our small world area, catalogues and books on families in our home corner. It is nice and helps with starting conversations and play sometimes. What isn't nice is when the super helpful children tidy them up onto the book trolley each day and we spend ten minutes trying to find them again! I shouldn't complain as they are only trying to help but of all the things they choose to tidy.....

Guest terrydoo73

Thanks for your replies - gives me a starter at least!

It was our Early Years Registration Authority who suggested and I thought I would follow through on the idea as it seemed to work today - my Deputy had a library book in the home corner which discussed lunch and there was some really good discussion from the children - she had 4 children around her at one point!

Recipe books for the home corner? Maps. Atlas, travel brochures, bird spotting for roleplay/construction, ask parents for old gardening, hobby mags...we were given trains, boats, cars, scrapbooking, hair etc most of ours are free or in the charity shops...obv. check the contents esp. the magazines!!

Don't focus too much on them having to be 'child' books, I think the idea is to encourage referring to books for information and stimulate new ideas...or that's what we were told :)

Ikea catalog in the home corner is good as its home products. We have a DIY book in the construction corner and the children found the build a wall page and the role play was brill. The book fell apart eventually so we laminated the pages and have done this with some others (maps) as they do get battered!!

We have certain books in certain areas Dinosaur books (ref & story books) farm , fire etc. We also have the odd puzzle or two that relate in each area. However we have built these over time and like holly35 our super helpful children always, always without fail put the books into the book corner and come trotting behind you holding the puzzles saying this shouldn't be here! Quite amazing really as they run a mile when anything needs to be done properly and it is something we have done for years anyway!

We've made our own books in the past - bit time consuming though. Whenever we do a baking activity we take photos and make a very simple recipe book which the children like to look at.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)