Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment Sheets

I've been doing this job for years but I've just started to question why we do assessment sheets. We observe the children all the time, jotting down everything at focused activities and while they are at their play, keeping evidence folders. But we then transfer these obs to an assessment sheet which is based exactly on the FS document. We use a highlighter to show when the child has achieved something. But what then? Why do these sheets if the reception doesnt want them and the parents dont understand them (we do a short written breakdown detailing their achievments for the parents). I'm trying to tell a member of staff what we use them for, but cant think of anything, the obs we take are used in planning so the assessment sheets seem to have no reason. Help me!

Having thought about this for a while, (about ten seconds!!!)

The answer is .........

Ofsted!! ? xD

I think.

That's the only reason I worry about them.

Sue - am I wrong???...... paranoia creeping in......... :o

Maybe the day will soon dawn when TRANSITION wakes up Y1 colleagues to the power of the profile and all things FS assessment. Y2 colleagues will then get the bug when they realise building a picture means getting evidence from observations, not an art QCA unit. Then Y3 might actually look at children rather than relying on dodgy sats results thus avoiding the annual dip, and as for Y5 and 6 we may get sensible attainable targets and reasonable, reliable results at KS2. And all from the wonderful information about children's learning that we see everyday and which speaks volumes to those who know how to listen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)