Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Aid Procedures?

What would you do in these circumstances? ( I have been asked for advice!)

Child fell and hit his face at his nursery yesterday, on a wooden climbing frame.

Accident report states that he has 'graze to face'. That's it, no report of how it happened, time etc or the circumstances of what happened.

Then his face swelled badly, but that has not been mentioned on the report, because staff 'didn't notice it for an hour or so', and when they did, they 'assumed he was eating something', even though it was over an hour past lunch time.

Today, over 24 hours later, it is still badly swollen, though no bruises have appeared.No-one telephoned his parents to say he'd had a nasty bump, even though he was very grizzly and upset. Staff cleaned the graze with cotton wool, I thought cotton wool was not recommended any longer?

Would you make a complaint to the setting about their procedures?

would you phone parents to inform them he'd had a bump,especially when there was such obvious swelling ( his face is at least twice as big on the bumped side) if the child was upset, and ask if they wanted to collect him early, or were they happy for staff to monitor things?

Edited by narnia

If it were my setting ...

accident form would def state how accident occurred and what first aid was administered. Cotton wool is a no - no for open wounds. As it was a head injury we would also be doing 10 minute obs for 1/2 hour to monitor child. If after 1/2 hour child was still very upset, clearly not recovering we would phone parents to let them know what had happened and see what they wanted to do next - usually (it prob happens twice a year) parents will want to take child to doctor for quick check over.

In as far as swelling - swelling coming out is better than swelling going inwards (i.e. swelling you can't see, when you know there's been a bump)

Our accident form is signed by first aider ... manager in charge to say they agreed with procedures followed and then by parents at pick up.

I think if that were my child I would be complaining ... doesn't sound as tho 'duty of care' was in place.

Thats just my humble opininion

best of luck

pw x

What would you do in these circumstances? ( I have been asked for advice!)

Child fell and hit his face at his nursery yesterday, on a wooden climbing frame.

Accident report states that he has 'graze to face'. That's it, no report of how it happened, time etc or the circumstances of what happened.

Then his face swelled badly, but that has not been mentioned on the report, because staff 'didn't notice it for an hour or so', and when they did, they 'assumed he was eating something', even though it was over an hour past lunch time.

Today, over 24 hours later, it is still badly swollen, though no bruises have appeared.No-one telephoned his parents to say he'd had a nasty bump, even though he was very grizzly and upset. Staff cleaned the graze with cotton wool, I thought cotton wool was not recommended any longer?

Would you make a complaint to the setting about their procedures?

would you phone parents to inform them he'd had a bump,especially when there was such obvious swelling ( his face is at least twice as big on the bumped side) if the child was upset, and ask if they wanted to collect him early, or were they happy for staff to monitor things?

Gosh doesn't sound good :o

As a parent I would have expected a phone call to explain the situation and be given the option of collecting my child

As a practitioner my accident report would contain:

childs name, time of accident, where and how it happened, who witnessed it, injuries sustained, treatment given and by whom, whether parents were contacted, monitoring of the injured child and by whom. The form would also state that parents were advised at time of collection to seek medical advice if they are concerned. Parents would sign form.

I would also phone the parent later to see how the child was.

From what you have said I would definitely be having a converstation with staff at the setting and would have several questions and in particular 'why didn't you phone me'

Sorry am I being thick? How does a child graze their face on a wooden climbing frame? A fall resulting in a nasty bump and swelling I can understand but how did a graze ( assume this involved breakage of facial skin?) happen on wood unless the frame is in such bad condition that it is really rough and then I would have thought splinters might have been an issue?

Meant to say hope the child is OK and do let us know - really hoping this isn't something like a fractured cheekbone, the 'double swelling' sounds awful poor child

Edited by Gezabel

We have a blanket policy in school of ALWAYS phoning parents whether at work or at home to inform them that their child has had an accident that has resulted in a bang to the head and allowing them to choose whether to come and inspect the injury for them selves, if we consider it to be minor OR to collect the child should it be more serious, which is cerrtainly what this sounds like.

IF, as it sounds the parents are not happy with the care that their child received or the manner in which this was reported to them then they shoould of course take this up with the setting. Maybe, they need a medical opinion on this injury too?

Hope the little one feels better soon.

yes a complaint needs to me made...

standard procedures were not followed... perhaps ask to see their policy on dealing with an accident...

cotton wool has been a no no for 20 years now... never had it in use the whole time I was in childcare.. always been gauze if needed... or something which does not leave a residue.. and not any antiseptic wipes either.

as all have said the report should be in much more detail, including names of who dealt with it, and what follow up treatment was given. a standard form to fill in ensures this is done... and any head injury needs monitoring and a follow up added to the report even if it says no further issues noted.

Contacting parents.. this really is a matter of each child being different, but with a head injury we would call, and ask parent what they wanted us to do, if child seemed settled parents would often trust us and ask us to call if any changes. if upset we told them to come and collect.

As a parent I would be very upset to think my child had been cared for in this way and definitely want some answers.

Hope he recovers and feels better soon.

I agree with all that has been said. Cetainly no to cotton wool!!!! and if the child after half hour or so was still grizzly and possibly before then I would have rung parents. It oes seem as though the setting rather brushed it off as not important. I would have kept a staff member with the child for the time until parents came so you would see a swelling coming up intat length of time if the child has hit themselves that hard for it to swell!!!

From a parents point of view yes definetly complain not good procedure,I always go on the side of caution better to be safe than sorry.

Hope the little boy is ok bless him X

not enough detail on the accident form really and we always have two staff to sign form off - the person who witnessed the accident and the senior / first aider. In all cases of head or faciel injury we contact the parent by telephone and give them the option of collecting or coming to see how the injury looks. Cotton wool is a big no-no , has to be clean lint free dressings if needed to clean a wound. and a cold pack/compress for the swelling. Sounds as if the procedures need reviewing. Also don't forget the RIDDOR form and notifying Ofsted if the child is taken to hospital and treated, whether by the setting or by parents, even if it isn't an overnight stay. :o

Hi Ofsted actually have to be informed if any child/adult requires "medical treatment" so going to the doctors would also count too.

Don't doubt you for a second but can't find it in welfare requirements, any ideas where it is documented? Also wondering does that include having a child 'checked out to be on the safe side' but when no actual treatment is given.

if my staff completed a first aid form like that - we would be having an in house trainign session on completing forms and first aid giving

I would contact parents for a bump like that, my form would state how where injuries and treatment also further advice

I hope its all being resolved. Apart from the child, my next concern would be that the staff really need some training. To assume that a child was eating something when its not a meal time implies that children are wandering round eating at odd times. It could open a can of worms, but that might be a good thing!

Beehive

Hi Gezabel, as far as we advise, it would be serious accident or injury that were reported to OFTSED rather than any event, (otherwise you might be on the phone every week) . As far as I am aware it doesnt specify what is classed as 'serious' but I would certaily say if an ambulance is called, or parents decide to take a child to casualty. I would not find it necessary for a grazed knee for example, where first aid has been given and the event documented in accordance with the settings procedure. Thats our interpretation anyway.