Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Get Time Off For Interview

Wise words, as usual, Maz.

I did type two drafts of my resignation letter, the first felt really good to write, but I wisely sent the second.

I would rather not tell her my real reasons for leaving, the problem is that she told me she really wants to know. And knowing her, she'll probably not accept any brief polite answer, she'll just keep digging. She already tried that earlier today and I had to tell her I didn't have time to talk right now, as I was meeting someone (which I was).

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Also, when should I tell the children & parents? My gut feeling is, knowing sooner would really help, esp. my key families. Is there any reason I should wait? As you can tell, I've never left a job out of choice before (first time was a move, then my gorgeous children arriving).

T.

You may need to employ the 'broken record' technique (you know, the one children use when they feel that pester power will get them that lolly/magazine/chocoalte bar at the supermarket checkout!). If every time she asks you the question she gets the same answer, then she'll have to accept it. You'll have to keep saying "as I said in my resignation letter..." and then repeat the reasons you've already given.

As for when to tell the children and parents, this is something you might want to discuss with your boss! My own view is that the earlier you let parents know the better because that way you can organise a good handover and enable the children to build a good relationship with their new key person. However, these issues might not be settled yet, which is why I suggested your boss might have her own views.

Of course you could just subvert that and tell your parents now - you're not going to be changing your mind and the sooner they know the better, I'd say.

Titania, well done on your new job, I hope you find the challenge you are looking for.

Regarding the resignation, does your employer have an exit interview strategy when members of staff leave, if so, this would be the time to air your views, professionally of course about some of the things that you have found difficult.

You would need to select you words carefully, but perhaps some carefully chosen words given honestly will make her realise what shes missing.

I did think about the exit interview mundia, are these voluntary for leaving staff members (mine always are)? If it were to happen quite close to the person's leaving date, it could be quite constructive, if the person felt able to talk freely about their reasons for leaving. However I sense that Titania has run out of patient, carefully thought out words to share with her boss, and is quite worried about the atmosphere that might ensue if she speaks openly. That said, she may end up being forced to speak up if her boss doesn't let things lie.

Dare I say it, this is where being part of a committee run group might be of an advantage? If there was someone else to talk to other than the person who is causing the difficulty or atmosphere, it might help get issues resolved more effectively. Sometimes a third party who can see both points of view can intervene and get things back on track again. Even though it would be too late for the person leaving, hopefully it might make life easier for the people who follow on.

I wonder how things went this morning, Titania?

I wonder how things went this morning, Titania?

Hi,

I have just been in for the first time since I handed in my notice (I actually got ill on Tue). Strangely the manager didn't ask me again nor did she speak to me at all really. I did find out from my colleagues that she had told them my news after I had left.

We were too busy to catch her today to speak about when to tell the families, so I'm hoping to do that tomorrow. I don't know whether she has written me a reference yet or not, and I don't really want to ask her. I do know however that the second reference was done on Tuesday, so I guess she would have been asked to do one at the same time. We'll see.

I haven't heard from the CC yet, not sure how long I should leave it before getting in touch?

Titania

Edited by Guest