Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maximum Numbers In A Room

lynnlyn

Does anyone know if there is a maximum number of children per room/group? I know there used to be a limit but am not sure whether it still exists.

I have two rooms - one for 26 x 3-5yrs and another for 8 x 2 yrs. I am thinking of opening these rooms up and making it into one big one. My registration is for 34 children from 2 - 8 yrs so would it be possible to have them mixed together in one room ( obviously the ratios would still be the same)?

Any advice or knowledge, I would be greatful thanks.

I'm sure that it is included in the Statutory Framework booklet - now where did I put my copy :o

I have found my copy and had a look through it for you - can't find any info.

Just realised that I read your post 'wrongly' - I thought you were asking for the 'measurements' - sorry!

Edited by sunnyday

As long as you are using the full amount of space as the measurement is square metres per child ( Opps mixed metric and imperial there! ) then I don't see why you shouldn't mix them up . I have 40 2-5 year olds in two large rooms and as long as the staff child ratios are upheld then where's the problem ? As your registration covers 34 2-8 yr olds then don't see that Ofsted can object :o

there is a space requirement in the framework pg 35

"In registered provision, providers must meet the following space requirements:

■■ children under two years: 3.5 m2 per child;

■■ two year olds: 2.5 m2 per child;

■■ children aged three to five years: 2.3 m2 per child."

so you would need to measure up your rooms - the space need sto be the usable playspace so toilets, cloakrooms, entrances don't count.

good luck I hope it works out to be enough space.

all you are doing is mixing the children and opening up the space .

Ofsted have registered both rooms for the children to use, so are happy they are suitable with enough space requirements , removing or opening a door will not affect this.. so long as staffing ratios remain the same there should be no problem.

but there are some provisions with one hall registered for 40 children that I know of.. not seen the maximum in one room for ages.. could be if the room was only big enough for that number then there would be a maximum... but by opening up both together would still have the same space, just mixed age groups.. which many have.