Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transporting Schema

We have a 2 year old in preschool at present who always has 3 or 4 small toys in one hand. He carries them around while he plays. It doesn't seem to matter much what they are but once he has made his selection for the morning he won't change. Is this a transporting schema? Is there any way we can extend it?

His sister on the other hand collects quantities of similar items and lays them out in rows. THey are the only strong schema we have going on at present.

I suppose it depends on what he has in his hands. If it's a car can he make marks in sand or with paint, if it's a duck can he make it float/sink whatever. Can he compare, sort, match, weigh one against the other - all kinds of things

My understanding of a transporting schema is more that the children show an interest in the act of relocating objects. That to me would suggest that they would carry things back an forwards between two places or move a succession of toys around the setting. They could be interested in using different methods of transporting like perhaps a dolls pram, basket, wrapped in a blanket, their own hands, etc. they might also spend lots of time moving sand around the sand pit or water back and forth between containers.

Could it be that this little boy is selecting some toys to stay with him throughout the session as a way of ensuring some consistency or security? If you think this might be the case does he have a comfort object he might like to have with him? I'd consider this even if he's not showing signs of being unsettled.

If you want to develop this could you help him explore different ways he can carry them? Perhaps you could make a small box or bag for him to put them in.

How does he react if another child wants to play with the toys he's chosen?

Just trying to gather more information - Do his parents say that he does the same at home? Is there a connection between the things he selects? They must be very small to fit in his hand. Does he have access to a variety of possible containers to put them in and out of, with lids and without lids and things to possibly carry them around in, and if so, does he show any interest in them ?

When I say hand it's really more arm. He hugs the items (often but not always cars). If he has let go and someone else picks one up there are usually tears. He has sometimes taken something home for the morning too on days when his sister is in but he is not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)