Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chair Working At Setting?

Hi all

Background is that I am lev 3 and work at pre-school but also on committee of school club. Some of you are aware that we have horrendous times recruiting qualified staff due to rural location at school club. I have covered the odd session (not regular) but have been paid for doing this. Told OFSTED, had crb, sent OFSTED 2 references and health dec (not that we ever heard form them about this and all fine. Now the dilemma.

AGM is in March and current chair standing down. I have been approached by members of committee to see if i would be chair and i have no problem with that. However the problem does arise in that may be needed to do supply working at the setting and being paid for it? Normally would say that if committee member doing"supply" at club then would not vote on eg wages etc but if i was chair im sure i would not be able to abstain? Im sure the rest of the committee would like me to be chair and wouldnt mind me being paid for any actual work i do there but is this allowed?

Put it this way hubby is fed up with the amount of extra voluntary work i do for club as well as pre-school and i think may divorce me if i work at club without wage!!?? Do I therefore have to decide what role to do? I know that we really struggle to get qualified supply to cover holidays and illness.

Please, please let me know what you think and what I should do!!? Our constitution does not forbid it for staff to be on committee or committee to be staff. It says "no payment to any memebr except for services actually rendered as the committee except reasonable and proper out of pocket expenses"..what does this mean?

Just as an aside I know the chair of my pre-school is laying down flags, doing odd jobs etc and is getting paid for it.

Edited by marley

As a committee member, whether or not you're the chair, you can help out during sessions but not for pay. You still have a vote at meetings too.

If you're a charity the charity commission wont allow a committee member to be paid. I had it all last year when they found out two paid staff were helping with the fee's and secretary roles. They called it unlawful, unauthorised and threatened disolvement of the pre-school.

Although, if it was unauthorised I take that to mean they might authorise it? I'd ask them if you're a charity.

Wait till you get caught I think :o

Honestly its a mine field being a charity because the mines are particulary well hidden unless you know where to look.

They are very helpful when you speak to them though so it wouldnt hurt phoning and putting it to them.

We are an out of school club not linked with psla at all. Have checked the constitution and all it says is what i put in original post.

We thought so long as ok with OFSTED it was ok. Didnt even think of charity com! Have emailed current chair and think we may have to phone and check otherwise no more covering sessions for me. Only did it to help out in an emergency.

Our constitution says that we can work for pay as well as long as clearly defined that it is work based and not committee based that you are being paid for. I dont see the issue with this really if it is just supply work.

I would suggest changing the constitution to include a clause on being able to work for pay - and send it off for approval, providing you get the wording right it should be ok..

as a oosc you can adopt the PLA constitution as long as you don't change the wording at all. (if you want to you have to contact National PLA) You can find it at www.pre-school.org.uk/document856 although as a member of staff on the committee it is advisable you are not chair as you can't be part of decision making which may affect staff pay etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)