Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Peanuts For Bird Feeders?

Dear all,

I just wondered what other settings do with regard to bird food. I recently found out that we keep a tin of peanuts in the setting and also have them in the bird feeders in our garden. We have actually had a child who we were told has a mild (?) nut allergy. Luckily the child has left and there has been no harm. But seeing that allergies are not always found out about early, would it not be wiser to avoid having them at the setting? Any advice gratefully received.

x Titania

Could they be kept safely elsewhere?

In a shed maybe, high on a shelf.

We should do everything practical to help a child not come accross something he has an allergy to but it does seem a shame for the birds to go unfed!!

How about the bird feeder, is it high up and when peanuts drop out of it are these accesible to the children?

Hi, you could just use seeds and fat balls instead.

Remember that where birds feed they can leave disease, this is probably more of a risk to your children.

Thanks for all your answers. I'd be much happier if we stopped using them. The feeders are very low and bits fall onto the main play area. so easily accessible. I agree that fat balls etc are a safer option, but can't seem to convince management... :o

x T

Guest jenpercy

As the birds peck at the nuts traces of peanut will fall - but I would be surprised if commercial balls are fat free. A note for the vegetarians - fat balls MUST be made of real lard and suet so as not to harden their little arteries

Put out 8 commercial fat balls today, 4 in each feeder - squirrel had eaten 4 fat balls by 11am! Don't think our birds get much of a look in, except he is a messy eater and the bits fall to the floor where the wood pigeons finnish it up!

Edited by Panders