Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Children - Do They Have To Have A Separate Door When Enterin

Hi

Im was very unsure about how to title this question!!

I am wondering if anyone has seen any documentation about Reception chn coming into sch in the mornings.

It has been suggested that they must have their own separate door to the rest of the sch, or must be their classroom door and they must be greeted by the class teacher.

Has anyone heard that or seen it in any document?

I have googled it but got lost in all the links - while having no success.

Our class come in a door adjacent to our class. They are greeted by a site team member, I greet them in class. I cannot leave the class to go to the other door as my LSAs are not not always at sch when the chn start.

Any ideas, suggestions, your own current practise etc gratefully received!

Many thanks

x

Sorry, but can't help as I don't know.

I am lucky as my classroom has an outside door which leads into the cloakroom for my class, as they have a separate one to the whole school. Don't know about any documentation about this though

Emily

Hi

I have never heard of any documentation and really do not think there is any that dictate children in reception need their own door. Who has suggested they have their own door the headteacher or parents? if you feel there is a likelihood they may lose their way from the outside door to your classroom then could it not be that their parents bring them into class in the morning and settle them at the beginning of the day? In my last school we did not have immediate access and this worked very well. It meant that the parents got to see the classroom and the learning going on and the adults were able to greet children and have an informal chat with parents at the beginning and end of each day.

Lorna

Thanks for the replies.

It is another visiting EYFS teacher who has said it.

I do not know where this info came from, but wanted to check on here - to try and get more facts straight.

The chn are very capable of finding their way around the sch and cope very well with the 3 metre walk into class.

I would love to have parents in the class, but the class size and location of the coat pegs would not be conducive to doing this.

Thanks again.

I can only say that Ofsted have criticised some of our schools for letting children from Reception take registers etc on their own to the office - safeguarding (despite the fact that they are perfectly safe and capable but hey ho) and in 1 made them get high handles for the internal class/school corridor door to keep the children inside the room.

Cx

made them get high handles for the internal class/school corridor door to keep the children inside the room.

Cx

See, I understood this was not good practice as if there were a fire or other emergency, the children may need to leave the classroom without the teacher.

made them get high handles for the internal class/school corridor door to keep the children inside the room.

In my classroom this would mean they couldn't go to the toilet - puddles everywhere - possible health and safety risk?!

I can only say that Ofsted have criticised some of our schools for letting children from Reception take registers etc on their own to the office - safeguarding (despite the fact that they are perfectly safe and capable but hey ho)

I think this is really sad - I have a pair of 'helpers' each day and taking the register is a job they love (they are frequently better and more polite about taking messages than some of the KS2 children in school).

I totally agree. I really worried when I read this, as my kids love it - knock on the office door and say good morning etc.. Also, when Im in class and my LSA is outside and a child has to go to the office for more toilet rolls/tissues/a cold compress etc - what would I have to do? Bring everyone in from outside just so the adult could go? I thought we are meant to be supporting their independence?

Safeguarding sounds like it is going too far - just like everything else.

I can only say that Ofsted have criticised some of our schools for letting children from Reception take registers etc on their own to the office - safeguarding (despite the fact that they are perfectly safe and capable but hey ho) and in 1 made them get high handles for the internal class/school corridor door to keep the children inside the room.

Cx

It has gone mad hasn't it! Just read in today's TES that Gove is reducing some of the aspects of Ofstred inspections and this may be one of the few times when I agree with him!

When I was in school two children would show prospective parents around the school! No adult with them and there were never any inappropriate incidents and parents were always impressed with how confident and capable the children were and how well they knew their school and they were Y2!!!

Unfortunaley too many HT and governors give in to Ofsted when there is no legal requirement to have handles high up or stop children from taking register!!!!

Lorna

Just because Ofsted say something, doesn't make it right.

We must constantly challenge their thinking it seems, and not do anything just because Ofsted told someone else to do it.

If we feel it is right for our children, that should be our best guide. The sense of responsibility gained in taking the register far our weighs any possible safe guarding risks, especially given that schools are like fort knox these days.

We are going to be bringing up a generation of competely paranoid children otherwise!

We are going to be bringing up a generation of competely paranoid children otherwise!

Either that or ones that will be unable to identify risk and manage it for themselves.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)