Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Overview

Hi everyone!

I hope you could help. I am CC Practitioner since september and still getting use to this style of work as My previous experience was mainly on day care.

I am helping to run a couple of sessions in my cc, which i am taking on a more 'in charge' role. I was asked to make a termly overview of my plans for the session and I wonder if you have any suggestions on how I could put this on paper. and mainly to ask you, do you do overviews?

thanks

Hi, I'm preschool, so probably different from CC, but no, I wouldn't do this other than to make not of any special dates coming up, like Christmas, Easter, Hanukkah, Diwali etc that I may want to look at. As it's child led, as regards planning it wouldn't be possible to plan that far ahead.

What we DO have, however, is our continuous provision plans which show the activities that are on offer all the time, and how these tie in to the areas of the EYFS. Could this be something you could use instead?

Hello Alina, and welcome to the forum. I wonder if you could tell us what types of sessions you are running for example is it stay and play, or something else. I think how you might consider planning for the sessions might depend on the type and, for example, if you are likely to have different children at each of the sessions.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Alina, and welcome to the forum. I wonder if you could tell us what types of sessions you are running for example is it stay and play, or something else. I think how you might consider planning for the sessions might depend on the type and, for example, if you are likely to have different children at each of the sessions.

thanks for your interest! I do run Stay and plays but the overview

in particular is for a baby group. I tend to plan a few events for the term according to parents comments and personal observations. I thought to write down these events and a brief explanatory of why the event was planned. Not sure if this is the right way to go.

• 5 months later...

I am doing something similar and am planning based on the comments from parents feedback on previous sessions, this is doccumented in the session evaluation so for example if a parent said they enjoyed finger painting but felt it would have been nice to paint feet i would put feet painting in my next set of planning and would link it to the evalaution date (not an imaganitive example i know)

So i feel in anwser to your question I would log their idea's for events the same way and would then refure to this when planning the event.... i hope that does anwser or help???? LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I am following this with interest as I am just about to start a new job within a childrens centre after working in pre-school for the last....well a long time! They want me to make sure the EYFS is fully included so your comments so far have been very informative - good old FSF!! :o

• 4 weeks later...
I am following this with interest as I am just about to start a new job within a childrens centre after working in pre-school for the last....well a long time! They want me to make sure the EYFS is fully included so your comments so far have been very informative - good old FSF!! :o

LOL that sounds the same as what i've just started (beginning of July) doing after being in a day nursery, its alot to get your head round differnce wise but i really enjoy it (hope that makes you feel better lol

• 7 months later...

Hi Ladies,

I am the manager of a couple of children's centres and a day nursery....lucky me!

One overview we use is that of health campaigns, saety campaigns etc that i can cross reference in my develoment plan around the NI's. We celebrate nit day, child safety week, breast feeding day, non smoking day etc.

Then we set up a half term ideas bank, each week linking in things that may be happening nationwide or locally and based on what parents and children are asking for. We also have a letters and sounds focus each week where we give homework to the families. planning is minimal - evaluations are robust. hopefully by doing it this way we are covering what data tells us as well as what we see is needed.

we love it x

I used to plan for Stay & Play etc. and approached it the same as above i.e. some 'special events', & following parent and children's suggestions. We had a display board and post-it notes available so parents could stick up their ideas We had to really encourage this at first but they soon got the idea. I also added in some ideas from staff to ensure there was a spread over all areas of learning, and a broad spread of activities offered.

We also had to work hard on emphasising that it was an opportunity for parents/carers to play WITH their children, not just to chat to friends, and to gently point out what their children might be learning through a particular activity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)