Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunches In The Classroom

Froglet

Two sittings of sandwiches are served in my classroom every day - it drives me up the wall, it's noisy, I can't work in there I can't get set up for the afternoon properly and I have to tidy everything away in the morning. Today I discovered the up side.

We're beginning a new topic this week - space and I wanted to give my Y1s a bit of a stimulus for writing a story. Yesterday we read 'Man in the moon (a day in the life of Bob)' and the whole class had a great afternoon making aliens which are now hidden around the classroom peeping out from behind whiteboards, cupboard doors etc.

Today after lunch as we sat down to do the register we discovered a mysterious envelope with green splodges on it and... (shock horror) there was writing on the front addressing it to my class. We opened it to find a letter from an alien asking for help because his spaceship had crashed.

They were so excited but the hilarious bit (and the bit which hooked them) was that all of a sudden one of the boys shouted out "Hey I think I've found a clue, look there's a trail of crumbs" cue the entire class leaving the carpet to follow this trail - I was left open mouthed. Then on the way back another cry "He's been eating a chocolate biscuit and left some on the floor" and another "He's been eating grapes - one rolled under the sofa" I was nearly crying with laughter.

Then followed an afternoon filled with excitement as they went searching for aliens, they found footprints - apparently it's a family because they found lots of different footprints. It likes to eat wood (there are a couple of knot holes in our new fence) it must have long froggy legs to hop over the fence so it can jump a long way - cue lots of jumping to see who can jump the farthest (marking names with chalk and measuring). When we finally had to come inside to do a music lesson one of the boys said 'Ohhh, but I haven't had playtime' somewhat puzzled I looked at him and said "You've been out here playing for ages." "I wasn't playing," he said, "I was hunting!"

And all because of a few biscuit crumbs which are normally cleared away. I had planned to do lots of fun set up with clues and prompts but time ran away with me and even the letter was a pretty rubbish one scribbled in a couple of minutes at lunchtime.

It's been so nice to have a good afternoon with my class - we haven't had one for a while and especially since Christmas. I've been feeling drained and disheartened and it's so nice to know that we can still have fun!

Just wanted to share with people who might appreciate the excitement!

See, I knew you would all understand. They are all absolutely loving this topic - one of the dad's of my new intake was accosted as he walked through the door this morning "D'you know... we had an alien in here yesterday!" Poor man he looked so bemused - they even looked to see if the alien had eaten the rest of the chocolate biscuit (he had!)