Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degrees And Jobs

I am half way through doing the foundation degree I am interested in finding out how anyone has moved on upon completion.

Are there really any beter jobs out there? Or is it on the same lines as HLTA and its nice to have but it dosnt actually get you any more pay or recognition. Thanks you!

Hali

Out of interest, what exactly has been said to you about the FD by your committee? Are they keen for you to do it (and more to the point will they offer you the support you need?

I'm still at the thinking stage, but I'm not convinced I really need to do it: the Early Years can't confirm whether we are the type of "full day care" mentioned in the 10 year plan. And what does "Senior Practitioner Status" actually mean? Another £5 an hour?! I think not - where would the money come from?

I am currently writing an assignment on how the 10 Year Childcare Strategy affects my teaching, so its of interest for two reasons. Perhaps I'll put together some kind of questionnaire aimed at those thinking of doing the FD to help me with my research!!

Let me know what you decide, won't you??

Maz

I read a letter in Practicle Pre-school last month? about this. The feeling the writter had was that the FD would only be as good as HLTA and felt she was doing a lot of work for little eventual recognition. One of the TA's at the local primary is doing it and it does make me wonder what it's worth as she's been in the reception class for at least 12 years. I was thinking of doing it until I read the letter, now I'm going to research it a bit more.

Rea, for the unitiated what does HLTA mean and how does this person differ from a TA (I'm assuming TA is a teaching assistant?).

Maz

Sorry maz. Higher Level teaching assistant. I dont know how it differs, if at all from having the FD, but I think some clarification is needed as to a lot of qualifications. Where does the Level 4 come in all of this? I'd like to be able to go to a college and say this is where I am, whats the next step, and the one after that. At the moment theres just no way of know how to progress in a recognised way. Oh I'm going to work at sainsburys :o

But if you went to work at Sainsburys you would earn much more money, there would be no planning to take home, no research and reading to catch up on at night, no early morning "Barbie can't come in can you cover" telephone calls to either make or receive, no playdough caught in the soles of your shoes, no painted handprints to wash from your trousers, no "Joyce Grenfell" moments, no-one would ask you if you remember what Dinosaurs looked like......

And isn't their uniform still orange?

Anyway, pretty soon there'll be a Foundation Degree in Customer Facing Computerised Technology Management, and then where would you be?

Maz

Love the above post, :o has made me laugh. After a very, very testing day. :(

It's only Monday and I'm looking forward to the bank holiday weekend already.

Sometimes I feel great and happy and them someone from the committee xD suggests something and I feel deflatted. Don't know why I'm not coping I've only been in the job 4 months!. :(

Well "white van" men are now being encouraged to do an NVQ which will teach them how to wash their vans, plan a route and be polite to customers!! xD:( So why not have a degree for working in a shop??? :o

Linda

Maz that was brill :D:D

Kap, you keep your head up, only 4 months..., it takes a while to adjust to any new job let alone one in the Early Years profession.

Peggy

Oh Kap, dont get feeling deflated yet! You have plenty of years ahead of you to do that! :D Committee's come and go, a blessing in any language :o so just ride it out xD:D

Maz, I know exactly where I'd be... I'd be on a site for disgruntled employees, banging on about how I'm bossed about by people who have no understanding of what I do for low wages and little recognition. :(

Hali

Out of interest, what exactly has been said to you about the FD by your committee?  Are they keen for you to do it (and more to the point will they offer you the support you need?

Hi Maz

Regarding FD my work dont really back me up so to speak, not been offered any support with regards to time off or anything. I think its more along the lines of"thats nice!" I just wondered if there were any jobs out there yet that are keen on regonising the FD. We were promised at start of cousre that because of all the child care stragies that its something that would be developing more in the future but havnt seen it yet.

Maz

29986[/snapback]

Hi Akire:

Yes, I'm waiting to see that first advert for a post needing or recognising the Foundation Degree. If only to see the salary attached!

And Kap:

Don't feel demoralised or deflated - 4 months is still at the very beginning! It takes a while to settle into any job, and with Early Years you have the added challenge that just as you get to grips with things along comes a new initiative which changes everything!

Maz

Maz, I know exactly where I'd be... I'd be on a site for disgruntled employees, banging on about how I'm bossed about by people who have no understanding of what I do for low wages and little recognition.  :o

30048[/snapback]

Years ago I had a boyfriend who worked at Sainsbury's for a number of years. He had this awful manager whose favourite saying (when asking someone to do something he couldn't face doing himself) was "well you don't have a dog and bark yourself".

I should say the ex boyfriend although not very tall was physically strong. After a long period of feeling overworked and undervalued, and a particularly difficult encounter one day with the aforesaid manager, the ex boyfriend picked up this man bodily and threw him into the egg display. He collected his coat, left there and then and it was a very long time before he could face shopping in Sainsburys.....

So if you're feeling stressed with your committee or a member of staff is winding you up: just stop for a moment and imagine their flailing legs poking out of a huge display of eggs in the Supermarket.

Maz

Foundation Degrees!

Into the second half of mine (my degree certificate will come with a complementary zimmer frame).

I gather that, for me, the title will be "Senior Citizen Practitioner" in EY.

Setting support? Not here. I opted for the interim level 4 qualification offered by the OU. I have flashy certificate to prove it. I can use the letters CertEYP(Open) after my name.

No career progression from basic assistant with the level 4 in this setting, nothing else available locally that wants anything other than level 2. I just tell myself that I'm doing this for me (and because I love working with the children).

And (so far, so good) my courses have confirmed to me that I know what I do is right.

Keep positive!

Diane.

Hi Diana

Thanks for your info, I also just finished the ou Senior pract cert. It does appear that its something that you "do" for you because you want to do the best you can in a job you like.

Maybe its something that will hopefully expand jobs in the future, though i am also doubtfull. They dosnt tend to be much call over a level 2 or 3.

It looks like it is going to be more worthwhile topping up foundation degree and then using that as a step up. Though Im still not sure what a degree in childhood and youth studies will do for me.

Im not sure i eventaully want to do teacher training as i think they are so many other settings out there outside the school system.

Its back to the books for now!

I have 3 colleagues who are doing or have done the foundation degree, and all have done it simply beacuse they want to train as teac hers, and this is one of the better routes to get a degree part time and still work. In other words, they are a means to another end rather than an end on their own. I have no other experince myslef so is this not the case then, that the F degree is more a stepping stone to something else?

Mundia - our EYDCP is promoting the Foundation Degree in our Borough but is keen to keep the qualification in Early Years. They are stressing that the FD has merit for those wanting Senior Practitioner status, and see it was a way of strengthening leadership within pre-schools (both full day care and sessional).

What they don't make clear is how groups will be able to retain these highly qualified individuals, nor whether candidates can expect their pay to increase when they are qualified.

Its an interesting conundrum.

Maz

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wolverton Day Nursery

Enjoyed reading about Foundation Degrees. I am at the beginning of the Foundation Degree in Nursery Management, through Hope University.

It's an on-line course, over two years with some study days in Liverpool.

Anyone else doing this?

I hope the foundation degrees with improve the recognition within childcare, and put us on the same level of "status" as educationists. The myth that everyone in childcare is less qualified than teachers is a great barrier to better working conditions and wages increases. Any thoughts?

Ann :o

Guest LucyQ

I was thinking about the FD but just couldn't face another NVQ type course where to be honest, I didn't learn very much about children. Maybe the FD is more in depth, what am I saying, of course it is!

Anyway, I decided to do something completely different and after spending a day at a Montessori pre-school (part of my 4 day annual professional development) I went for that. A Montessori teacher distance learning course - don't know if I will ever be a Montessori teacher but it is facinating and I am learning so much which is having a definate positive effect at my pre-school.

It's fully funded (at least in Devon) - so I'm a happy bunny.

Ooh Hali - where's the Level 4 in Management course? A colleague of mine at College is doing this and she says she's learning heaps.

As for the FD - I've put in my application form and am waiting for an interview. Have you put yours in yet? I figured it best to apply: I can always change my mind and not do it if I get accepted!

I have decided to do the 0-3 FD at BCA (if I do a Foundation Degree at all) - just for my own professional development. Although my employer is very supportive, the business won't be able to increase my salary to reflect my 'Senior Practitioner' status when I qualify (note the confidence??).

I'd be interested to hear what anyone knows about the Level 4, though!

Maz

hI Maz

Ive put in my forms too for BCA also.... Jo Elsey told me about the other course was having a meeting about it this week and said she would let me know asap its due to start sept/or maybe Jan... will let you know more when i do :D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Please can someone help me? I am a FS co-ordinator who is feeling very ignorant!! I have a Nursery Nurse who is NVQ level 3 qualified and has experience of day nurseries. She is expressing an interest in undertaking a foundation degree can anyone tell me what it would involve and how much it would benefit her? Any thoughts, would it help increase her confidence?

Thanks

Hi,

I don't have any direct experience of Foundation Degrees, but I know from attending many conferences this last term regarding the children's workforce, that higher qualifications are eventually going to be expected from people working within early years education. If early years practitioners are better qualified, they should be able to demand better salaries (so the story goes!)

You could find out if your nearest college provides a FD course, and get an outline of the course, and what would be expected from her mentor/school. In terms of continuing professional development, I believe that a further 2 years after a FD will gain you an Honours degree, and there is also a teacher training route.

I'd want to encourage her to train further, if she is showing an interest. :)

I have obtained level 4 status by completing part of the Foundation Degree through the Open University. This qualification helped me obtain my current job as Manager of a 52 place Neighbourhood Nursery.

I am still working through the rest of the courses and eventually hope to achieve the F.Degree.

It is interesting but very hard work if you have a family and work full-time.

Good luck to all who are climbing the ladder!

Teri

:D Thanks terri how many hours per week do you put into the FD.

35469[/snapback]

Hi, I am currently working through the first 2 modules of the FDEY with the OU.I put in about 8hrs study each week and at the halfway point am averaging 74%. I am currently a childminder and foster care but would like to move into children and early years services eventually.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)