Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bankruptcy

Due to the fault of my Husband,( we are separated ) I am facing Bankruptcy!!!!!!!!!

3 years ago, he bought me a car on finance ,we were managing payments alright ,till

he started robbing peter to pay Paul. We then started having problems , small ones and big ones ,all to do with his management of finance . To make matters worse ,the car was repossesses,it went to court and he said he will pay with full assurance only for me to find out recently that ,there's been a court order ,the people are asking the court for bankruptcy and since its my name on the car/document -guess who is been made bankrupt ? yea ! me -Total of £ 9,000.

My question is , am yet to be contacted from the court ,(the receiver) who will be dealing with my finances, I am so embarrassed ,worried and everything that I have worked for -down the drain.One thing I do not want to loose out is my work as a childminder . I really need help,Does any one know if I will loose my registration? Cant I carry on to work ? I even read that ,they court will inform my local authority, I just started my Foundation degree ,& they've just paid 80%,I don't know how I am going to explain to my parents that I work for ,net work members ,Gosh its very bad - I feel like a sabotage . Due to this and many we are now separated . He hid all the letters about the court from me until now - what can I do .Has any body got an experience in this area ? it will be very much appreciated . Thank you

Oh jcci, so sorry to hear about the predicament you find yourself in.

I can offer no help at all, excpet maybe suggest you contact CAB or the Consumer Credit Counselling Service (you can Google them) for proper professional advice (not that you might not get it from here - sorry guys!)

I wish you all the luck in the world and send a hug, remember help IS out there x

Hello jcci.

First of all welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your predicament. As janny said, you need professional advice, you can certainly start your research here. You may not even need to become bankrupt if there are other options available to you, thats why you need professional support with this.

Regarding your registration, give OFSTEd and your LA a call to clarify their position.

Please take care of yourself to.

First of all, be kind to yourself, this isn't a problem of your making. You can certainly get help from Citizens advice and the bankruptcy people will help you all they can ( one of my parents at my setting went through the same thing two years ago!)......you will find that as long as you are honest with them, they will help all they can. The parents at my group were clear of the bankruptcy after one year.It's not the end of the world, but it's not much fun building things back up afterwards. Take a big breath and phone CAB tomorrow, then Ofsted to find out where you stand. I can't see why it should affect your registration, but it's best to be upfront with things. Good luck xx

Hi

so sorry to hear you are in such a difficult position .Im sorry can offer no advice on bankruptcy only that you should get some proffessional help as already suggested

My one thought though is Ofsted.their concern is with the welfare of the children that you care for ,if this is not affected by your current circumstances it should be ok.

However the framework says that they should be informed of a significant event which may effect the care of the children.(not sure if this is exactly what they mean)

My advice would be to contact them and see what they say.I found myself in a sort of similar position a couple of years ago when my ex husband tried to commit suicide (we were still together then) and I could see my career and only source of income going down the pan.

i rang ofsted and they were incredibly supportive and helpful and they said the last thing they wanted to do was take any one s registration away .I gave them details over the phone and later a nice inspector(yes there are some) came out and chatted with me about events and any implications on the care of the children etc .

They also said it was much more favourable them being told ,than finding out in which case it would have gone against me as a complaint .

They were incredibly supportive and after extensive health checks on my ex i was given the all clear to continue childminding !! though after a few months the impact of his actions meant the end of the marriage and we are now separated.

hope things work out for you.

try not to worry

janice

Guest jenpercy

you need to deal with this - bankruptcy cannot be forced on you. You will have to pay back the money, but if you go to citizen's Advice, or one of the Debt Advicwe Services - there are 2 reputable ones, you can sort out a budget and make an offer to pay back what you can afford. I understand that as long as you pay something they have to accept - however you need to act fast.

Sorry to disagree jenpercy but I'm afraid there are circumstances where bankruptcy can be forced upon you. The most important thing to do to avoid this, as others have said, is to be honest and open and seek help and advice as soon as you can. I've found this website which might answer some questions, although the case histories are very different from yours:

http://bankruptcy.org.uk/archives/item/790...into-bankruptcy

Good luck, act now, and let us know how you get on. :o

jcci, don't despair!! My sister found herself in a similar situation. The last thing that either the Official Receiver or Ofsted want is to take anyone's livelihood away from them.

The key thing is communication, contact them URGENTLY and tell them your situation, if the bankruptcy goes ahead it may affect your banking arrangements (although I seem to recall that some banks will still offer a current account... think LLoydsTSB and/or Co-op but it's been a long time since I worked in the banking world) but it shouldn't affect your working from home.

The best thing is to get your advice direct from the Official Receiver - it's really not as bad as it sounds, they're very approachable.

Good Luck!

Nona

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation. I agree with others to get advice and act immediately. Would your husband admit to others that he kept the letters from you? Were they addressed to you?

I think that being proactive, now you know the situation, is the best way forward.

I can't begin to know how you must be feeling but it is not of your doing, so no need to be embarrassed, you are the victim here, once you take the lead you will feel that you have more control.

Best wishes, take care.

Peggy

You need to contact the court that is dealing with it and give them a ring. I can't think of the name but just say it's with regards to bankruptcy. I have the information somewhere myself and I can dig it out for you later but you must speak to them direct and find out the terms and conditions of it.

Hi, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I cannot offer any fresh advice but like others before me I would say be proactive. It may take time but you will get sorted gradually. you have had a very rough time. I hope you are able to get good support. Your local childminding network co ordinator may be able to help. Good luck x

Thank you all so much , I have read and taken note of all your advice,( I feel love again)

I have contacted Citizen advice , and am waiting for the official receiver to be allocated to my case . I have also been advice to go to the court and seek for annulment/for the bankruptcy to be set aside . I am doing this first thing in the morning ,in fact he's coming with me to let them know he conceal the post from me .

I have also been advice to work with the Receiver,and am going to be honest about everything. will give you feed back on how it went . I really do appreaciate all your effort/advice in responding .

Just wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow and to say i ll be thinking of you .

Take things a day at a time and a step at a time.You ve already come a long way and taken huge steps since your first post.

I was always been very honest to the other childminders and to minded parents about what was happening .you may not need/want to to tell them anything if its not going to effect your business/care for the children . I thought the parents would run for the hills with their children.But they all stayed and they and the other childminders were incredibly supportive through a difficult time

best wishes

janice

• 2 weeks later...