Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted...what To Do?

thumperrabbit

Silly question, but....

You've answered the door decided you really have to let them in (even though you don't want to!)

Got them to sign the visitors book

Then what??????

Do you get on with your day to day stuff, or do you ask them what they want you to do?

Really silly questions I know, but our next inspection is due next month and I'm now 'in charge'

Edited by thumperrabbit

They introduce themselves and tell you what they are going to do. Give them a brief run down of what the children are doing at that point and you may want to tell them when you are going outside.

They will then ask when it is convenient for you to chat with them.

Check their name and phone ofsted to confirm they are who they say they are.

Edited by Guest

Insist they sign in and follow your mobile phone policy - grab it off them and check for any hidden cameras on it :oxD:(

Ask to see identification and make a point of checking that their ID is not forged.

Explain that you cannot allow them to be alone with children at any time as they do not have a current CRB for your setting.

Hand them your policy folder and suggest that they aquaint themselves with the 100 pages of policies.

Say, sorry I can't stop to talk I have to set up all our resources as it was a full pack away last night. I would have come in at midnight to do it but I am only paid minimum wage.

Okay, okay, I'm joking, I can dream!

I would assume you greet them politely, follow normal procedures for visitors and then focus on the children. That's what I'd want to see if I was an inspector.

We have been 'due' since last May - are you sure they will come next month or is that the earliest they could come?

IVF

I for check identicifation

V for visitors book sigining in etc

F for fire procedure (stating that you are not expecting a fire practice and where to go etc.) thats unless you are that day!!

this is how our development officer said for staff to remember so who ever is on the door that session doesn't forget what to do!! it's now something we go through with all visitors just to make sure we remember it!!

after that ride the storm and ENJOY it will soon be over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oxD:(

we were due in october and still waiting ! :( i want them to come so am a bit fed up with waiting!!!

Oh Suziec8, i thought just for a moment you were serious, ha ha. :o

Welcome them and get them to sign in.

Check ID.

Explain phone protocol and storing of personal belongings.

Explain about any expected fire drills and evacuation procedure and the meeting point.

Show them where the toilets are for adult use.

Ask how the session inspection should run although they will generally tell you about the process.

Enjoy it's only a day or so, keep calm and see it as another way of evaluating your practice[ who am i kidding]..

I'm now shaking shivering and all a quiver ours are overdue so could be anytime.

Good luck wishes. xD .

i think once you have done the necessary - checked id, signed them in and ensured their phone is off and bags put away - you have to go with what they ask - ours (she came in dec) was fine she said she had seen our sef so hadnt many questions to ask but wanted to see how the session was run etc., -she then just spent her time watching us and the children etc - she did speak to staff and asked them questions SAFEGUARDING is the big one -she then asked me what i would do as leader regarding safeguarding , giving me different scenarios to answer,

x

We have been 'due' since last May - are you sure they will come next month or is that the earliest they could come?

Our 3 years are up next month, but as you have said they might not arrive for awhile yet, my Early Years advisor has said expect them anytime in the next 2-3yrs, think I'll have had a heartattack by then, every time the door bell rings you think this is it!

Thank you all for your replies.

Pooh! I thought you were serious as well Suzie- would be nice wouldn't it- taste of their own and all that. We have now entered our fourth year so expecting any time- last time we went over five years though and with the current economic climate and uncertainties with everyone's budgets wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't happen for a while yet.

I put her on the other foot and kept asking her what she needed and wanted. Turned out she wanted a plug socket for a laptop - not as easy a request as first thought - plug sockets in village halls always seem to be limited and in strange places (well in my experience!). She gave me signs to put out for parents on the gate to say OFSTED were here and then I just gave her loads and loads of paperwork so she could read whilst I played with children... I also went and rang the Chair and a few supportive parents who I knew would help me out if need be!!

Our 3 years are up next month, but as you have said they might not arrive for awhile yet, my Early Years advisor has said expect them anytime in the next 2-3yrs, think I'll have had a heartattack by then, every time the door bell rings you think this is it!

Thank you all for your replies.

I really don't think we can go by the 'three year' any more or perhaps it's just me. Many settings have been inspected on or around when staff thought OFSTED were 'due'. My experience doesn't reflect that. Our three years was up in February 2010 and we thought 'any day now'. They didn't come that term. We were totally convinced they would arrive early in the summer term but no. Now we are virtually four years since our last inspection and still waiting