Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Nurses Trained In The 1970-1980s

I did my nneb in the 80's and to be honest cant remember any of the modules if there were any - I do remember 2 years of fun and placements which gave me the grounding and experience to know that childcare was for me.

My placements were in primary schools, nursery schools, childrens homes, childrens wards in hopitals, maternity wards and child home studies. My tutors were proffesionals in there own areas passing on wisdom from there experiences that you cannot always get from books. By keeping up to date and attending courses in new practice and undertaking my level 4 I look back at my nneb course and see it as an underpinning of all my experience and working practice - sorry havent really answered your question!!!!!!!!!

Hi i did my NNEB in 1978 and honestly cannot recall actual modules. I know i also had to have experience in all the above posts provisions.

We certainly did an extensive child study, two years worth of observations, and made a soft doll too, oh happy days.

Gosh makes me feel real old now, do you get a medal for staying in childcare for 33 years ha ha. Sorry not sure thats really helped you. :o

Gosh, it sounds like childcare training used to be wonderful!

It was for me without a doubt :o One of the happiest periods of my life. I studied for my NNEB in the mid 1970's and still have my NNEB exam paper from November 1974. I have just had a lovely trip down memory lane thanks to this thread xD

I also have alll my exam papers that I did during my training. We covered child health, (with lots of sub sections eg nutrition, diseases etc., child development - I did a project covering all aspects of development from conceptin to 7yrs, done over my whole time at college. We had to study needlework and creativity and part of our final exam was to do an exhibition of all the things we had made during our training. Mine included a wooden dolls house (with lighting!) knitted baby clothes, a mobile, an art and craft box, a smocked dress (!!!) various games and books and other things I can't remember!!

We didn't do 'modules' as such. My training was at a residential college and we had 'study days' which involved lectures on child health, development etc etc, we had practical days where we did cooking, needlework etc (learning to cook in vast numbers for the attached nursery school) Later on we were hands on in the nursery school or residential nursery being given responsibility for children of different ages (under supervision of course)

We then spent 6 months hands on in a hospital, I went to one in Oxford and spent time on the children's medical and surgical wards, ante and post natal wards and special care baby unit.

I haven't got time right now but later on I will type up the NNEB exam p

aper just for fun and interest and will attach it so anyone interested can have a look :(

Here I am 38 years after my training still in early years and still happy. WIthout doubt I made the right decision all those years ago and remain grateful for the wonderful training i had, as I look back i realise what a solid foundation it was on which i have built over the years. I might just have a glass of wine with dinner tonight and make a silent toast to my wonderful parents. They died over 20 years ago but made huge sacrifices to enable me to receive the training I had and thanks to them and great tutors I am where I am today :(

I know we probably haven't helped with the original question but what a lovely way to reminisce. I too remember the smocked dress and the knitted baby outfit, I remember spending a whole leson learning how to form letters correctly for displays, I made a lovely wooden wheeled toy (well my dad helped me!) and leaened how to arrange flowers in oasis for fromal occasions. I made a small coffee table with tiles on the top which I had great fun getting home on the 45 min train journey, I remember visiting the loal recycling centre and being told it would be a thing of the future.... I dont remember planning, risk assesments and evaluations but believe that was called common sense and all done in our head!!! How times have changed.. I do remember having wonderful tutors who told us we were the creme de la creme and to be proud of our proffesion, I still keep in touch via a Christmas Card nearly 30 years on - wonderful memories :o

I did my NNEB from 1984-86 and what a good course it was! It may be 25yrs ago but everything I learnt prepared me for my career in childcare and all is still relevant today. We planned, prepared, recorded and evaluated our activities, carried out various forms of observation and worked in all types of placements- schools, nurseries, special schools, hospital wards, playgroups and had nanny experience too. We made lots of resources as I remember- story sacks, puppets, wooden toys, books and learnt so much about child development. Our tutors were so knowledgable and I remember having lots of assignments to do. It was hard work at times but I loved it. I definately picked the right course and career.

Oh gosh i'd forgotten the smocked dress it was a fantastic foundation for a most fulfilling career.

I am still in contact with one of my fellow students now :(

Me too :oxD I really did make friends for life during my training days.

We held a 'silver' reunion 25 years after we started our training and 19 out of the original 23 attended including some travelling from as far as Canada. It was beyond fantastic, we were suddenly right back where we left off - just amazing.

Sadly one of our group died in very tragic circumstances soon after the reunion and since then we haven't had any more big group reunions as she was the 'organiser' but now we are planning a 'ruby' reunion for 2013!!

Sounds lovely - none of my playschool staff were qualified (Mum was chairperson). My Mum, however completed her Cache qualification as she was chairperson and I remember her making lots and lots of games out of wallpaper.

Sorry if I have hijacked this thread!

What a lovely trip down memory lane this was! I can echo all the experiences of the above and really feel that the NNEB was a worthy and valuable qualification. I went to Margaret McMillian college in Bradford (now blended with the generic bradford College :o ) 79-81. The two years were shadowed by the Yorkshire Ripper who killed a university student during the time and the engagement and wedding of Charles and Diana. Diana was described as a 'nursery teacher' and we were shouting unqualified nursery assistant while she stood with a child on her hip displaying her legs. I have very shaky photo's of our end of course exibition has was externally assessed. I also have the NNEB exam papers for June 1981. 2 1/2 hours in the morning 2 1/2 in the afternoon. I'll scan it!

5 of 8 questions doesn't seem much choice. This is paper one. It was a very long day.......

The blurry photo is my exihibition. There's a rag doll, item made by junk modelling (dragon), pot made in pottery class, role play out fit (princess), a dolls bed, a ball for a baby with a rattle in.

This post took me right back - I also trained 1978-1980 in Eastleigh ( Hampshire) I remember hours of child development ( using Mary Sheradins book as a guide - still have a copy and has been used by my staff over the years) lots of practical stuff like making rattles and a sensory/texture ball for a special needs child. Also how to prepare displays and lots of other really good stuff. And the placements all of which I loved - still occasionally bump into the girls who was my mentor when I had my first placement as she works just down the road from me now. College discos and the elective units ( I chose car maitenance so I could get an eyeful of the 'fit' mechanics and lads :o )The other fun bit was travelling to and fro on the train with the girls who lived in my locality - we had such a laugh, bet the other passengers cringed when we got on! Happy Days xD

I trained 1984-6 as well. What I liked about the NNEB was how standard it was across the country - you knew if you employed an NNEB trained Nursery Nurse they had covered the same as any other - if that makes sense. We did the end of training exhibition, I have a photo of mine somewhere too! We did smocking but didn't make it into a dress though I did make a dress. I seem to remember we had a list of items and we had to choose a certain number for the display. We did woodwork, needlework, art, PE and computer studies as well as the child development, social services (as was) Health, education etc etc. THE best 2 years. We were talking about this the other day as we have a student at the moment who looks like she's going to get a certificate for just turning up each week - she does NOTHING and doesn't seem to have a programme of work from her course either :o

Guest pamgreen

I did my NNEB at the College of food in Birmingham in about 1970 - 1972I was nursery school trained which meant we worked for 6 months in a nursery school then spent 9 months in a day nursery then returned to the nursery school to complete the course. We spent 2 days at college and three at the nursery. I made a rag doll and a musical instrument. I have still got them I can hardly believe it when I look at the tambourine I made "Elf and safety" wasn't invented my tambourine was made from wood and "bottle tops" I remember shocking our tutors by going on a protest at the education offices in Birmingham when Margaret Thatcher tried to stop free school milk for children, O what memories sorry it hasn't helped you but it has really made me happy after having a really dreadful week so many thanks!!

It was for me without a doubt :o One of the happiest periods of my life. I studied for my NNEB in the mid 1970's and still have my NNEB exam paper from November 1974. I have just had a lovely trip down memory lane thanks to this thread xD

I also have alll my exam papers that I did during my training. We covered child health, (with lots of sub sections eg nutrition, diseases etc., child development - I did a project covering all aspects of development from conceptin to 7yrs, done over my whole time at college. We had to study needlework and creativity and part of our final exam was to do an exhibition of all the things we had made during our training. Mine included a wooden dolls house (with lighting!) knitted baby clothes, a mobile, an art and craft box, a smocked dress (!!!) various games and books and other things I can't remember!!

We didn't do 'modules' as such. My training was at a residential college and we had 'study days' which involved lectures on child health, development etc etc, we had practical days where we did cooking, needlework etc (learning to cook in vast numbers for the attached nursery school) Later on we were hands on in the nursery school or residential nursery being given responsibility for children of different ages (under supervision of course)

We then spent 6 months hands on in a hospital, I went to one in Oxford and spent time on the children's medical and surgical wards, ante and post natal wards and special care baby unit.

I haven't got time right now but later on I will type up the NNEB exam p

aper just for fun and interest and will attach it so anyone interested can have a look :(

Here I am 38 years after my training still in early years and still happy. WIthout doubt I made the right decision all those years ago and remain grateful for the wonderful training i had, as I look back i realise what a solid foundation it was on which i have built over the years. I might just have a glass of wine with dinner tonight and make a silent toast to my wonderful parents. They died over 20 years ago but made huge sacrifices to enable me to receive the training I had and thanks to them and great tutors I am where I am today :(

What a lovely trip down memory lane this was! I can echo all the experiences of the above and really feel that the NNEB was a worthy and valuable qualification. I went to Margaret McMillian college in Bradford (now blended with the generic bradford College :o ) 79-81. The two years were shadowed by the Yorkshire Ripper who killed a university student during the time and the engagement and wedding of Charles and Diana. Diana was described as a 'nursery teacher' and we were shouting unqualified nursery assistant while she stood with a child on her hip displaying her legs. I have very shaky photo's of our end of course exibition has was externally assessed. I also have the NNEB exam papers for June 1981. 2 1/2 hours in the morning 2 1/2 in the afternoon. I'll scan it!

Thank you ,been very helpful in jogging my memory. Those were the days!

Wow that is great, look forward to seeing the exam papers. I agree, it was an amazing course and well worth doing.Makes me feel old 'charles and Diana'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)