Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Displays

That looks like a good list. The only thing I would add, because I have a real thing about it, is putting the child's name top left of the paper. My tutor told us, "in English we read from left to right, top to bottom, so thats where it should be". I've never forgotten and get quite prissy about it. :o

That and correct grammer and spelling. You never know who's going to be reading it.

I think there should be a small sign somewhere that says when it was done and if in a commual area by who if "Reception 2- February 2011" Helps is if you then add items to portfolios etc when the display comes down and how long it has been up.

Rea I would have answered your tutor with 'Yes but this is a work of art and artists usually sign at the bottom! Then I would have added that in young children's books the print is usually at the bottom as well " :o

kb124 it might be worth making the point that although writing should be in lower case, capitals should always be used for the first letter of proper nouns, such as children's names.

I also feel with young children a photograph of the child next to their work. so other children can identify and they themselfs can see it is their work.

(or a photograph of them completeing the task/ work that is on the wall)

Em

Guest tinkerbell

In my Reception /year1 classroom I always make sure that on one of the displays everychild has their work displayed.

I do like the children to help or give their opinion of where work should go on some of the displays,this gives them ownership

I make sure the room has a balance of childrens work and informative work eg topic words and pictures. Displays to cover lots of curriculum areas.

It is also good to see adults handwritten captions and childrens ! all computer generated labels are lovely but we should let the children see good handwriting too.

Tinkerbell

Also when to change displays as in [ how often, and more importantly why ? ].

Explain the importance of celebrating children's achievements, whatever the end product if any.

We have just created a picture/art/gallery of children's art,creations,interests, for sharing together, with parents /carers, other children and staff team on three large boards in a packaway setting on a raised stage [ 50 squares ].

The children lead the way in when they would like to change them.

Thank you to the lovely person that suggested a gallery like this on here it is fantastic.

Each child has there own area which is labelled and numbered ,each parent/carer knows their child's unique number, square, to share with everyone their lovely creations.

It also provides us with protection of child's names as the hall is used by the wider community.

Love it love it love it :o

Learning objective? (In child friendly language)

I was so relieved when I read your list. When I was at uni I did a placement at a school who had a display policy that stated that all displays had to be backed and bordered in 2 certain shades of blue and all the children's work had to be double mounted in those same 2 shades of blue. Also all the labels had to be typed and printed in a certain font and only in black (also double mounted, guess what colour??!). For a horrible moment I thought this was the kind of thing you meant when you said you had a list!! Thank god yours is a sensible list!

I agree that the date should be on the display, even if it is just the term, e.g. Autumn 2 2010. We do this at my school and it means that people are shamed into changing their displays regularly! I've not had to be 'disappointed art coordinator' yet over displays... the state of the art cupboard is a whole other story tho!!

Rather see a messy art cupboard than a totally organised one, i think it means the resources are being used, maybe a once a month tidy up added to your rota could be included somewhere to assist with this.

Just to add we have just received a new outdoor shed for equipment, when asking out loud to all who would like to help me put all the equipment back, the children all shouted i will. Funnily enough it was the adults that i needed to help, but it did make me chuckle though bless them. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)