Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Too Cold Outside, Stuck Inside

Please help i need some ideas to keep the little one's busy inside, one is 2 1/2y the other 3 1/2y,

They both love playing in the garden but it is too cold for them, they only last 10 minutes then they are back in. We have done arts and crafts and all the other usual inddor things, but need some new games now any fun ideas would be appreciated.

Making cards and things like that are a no go as all they do it glue whatever, it always ends the same no matter what the task is.

Making cards and things like that are a no go as all they do it glue whatever, it always ends the same no matter what the task is.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Don't be put off by everything looking the same - they're learning through their creativity and this "child-led" focus is what EYFS is all about....

I've got two 2 year olds with me today and we've spent the morning playing with the huge sheet of bubble wrap that arrived in a parcel delivery... we've popped bubbles with our hands and by stamping and dancing on it, we've wrapped things in it (including each other!!) we've looked through it after taping it to the windows - was lovely when the snow was falling, and we've made wings from it - I now have 2 Christmas Angels dancing along to the Snowman music.

Wonder what we'll do after lunch???

Nona

Is there a local trip you could do - story time or softplay?

Even just going on the bus is fun.

And if you get cold you can stop for a hot chocolate.

Hello and welcom to the forum.

If they like glueing - how about a bit of junk modelling?

Wonder what we'll do after lunch???

Nona

Use the bubble wrap to do Snowman shaped printing. (bubble wrap cut to snowman shape- paint and flip over onto paper.... looks like lots of little snowballs!!)

If they're into glue, do they like messy play? How about giving them trays of different materials to explore? You could try salt, flour, shaving foam, gloop (cornflour and water), cooked or dry pasta, jelly, ice.... Not all at once though!!

Use the bubble wrap to do Snowman shaped printing. (bubble wrap cut to snowman shape- paint and flip over onto paper.... looks like lots of little snowballs!!)

oooh!! will try that tomorrow - thanks!

Nona

what about baking ? biscuits -ginger bread men ,cheese straws etc using alphabet/number cutters

I ve recently started creating story tables after some recent training they re great fun and its amazing where it leads

I started with branches ,logs , leaves and cones etc the children and I had collected while out over half term .I put them on a low table ,I added a few soft toy animals and encourage the children to think about what might be happening -we talk about what they might be doing where they re going - made up a story, children helped find pictures of them in books read stories about animals -we did colours, textures ,seasons etc all with a few free resources.

After a few days I added some plastic spiders and insects for them to find .Bonfire night then arrived and the children evicted the animals in favour of diggers and tractors and spent hours moving the leaves and cones around building a bonfire.

The bonfire and tractors evolved into a farm with boxes used as sheds for animals .

This week I ve put out some off cuts of blue fabric and white sparkly fabric and added some animals and a santa ,reindeer.penguin and polar bear and its suggests a winter scene ,we re reading xmas stories talking about the snow and ice -it just sort of evolves and I never know where it will lead or where the children will go with it .but with a few props -mostly free or from the charity shops or car boot its kept them entertained for weeks and no two days are the same .

Hello and welcom to the forum.

If they like glueing - how about a bit of junk modelling?

Sorry but what is junk modelling?

Making models from small cardboard boxes and tubes, food packets, paint glue, sticky bits. the world is your lobster!

Archie the Inventor always said: "Take a box and some yoghurt pot tops, hey, it's a car"

ppp

Edited by Guest

Sorry but what is junk modelling?

You might know it by its other name - recyclables modelling, or 3d modelling - the expression "Junk", could possibly undermine it's real value to the children - afterall junk can be described as quite a derogatory expression for something so expressive and imaginative for a child to do.

Just save up any small boxes, tin foil, yoghurt pots etc. and let the children loose with the glue, tape and string, hole punches, staplers, scissors etc.

Edited by Panders

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)