Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ice Planning

This week the children in my class have absolutely loved playing with the ice. Each night I have made sure there is plenty of water in the water trays and tuff spots and then its frozen solid the next day! We have poured on warm water and sprinkled on salt to see what happens, they have painted the icy ground with brushes dipped in warm water, they have smashed the ice up, we have found ice in different shapes frozen inside buckets and tyres, they have stamped on the ice in large crates then paddled in the water... I have left some toys in the water tonight hoping they will freeze into it then we can get them out on Monday! I would really like to extend their interest further next week but I am out of inspiration. Wondered if anyon had any good ideas of other things we could do??

We made ice pictures this week - poured water onto a plate and then put on lots of resources which the children suggested, or found items in the garden. Some children wanted to add a string to hang it up when frozen. I wasn't there today but I hope their pictures were frozen and ready to display!

one of my favourites put ice in the middle of a builders tray (or similar) add cornflour and penguins (or polar bears) for an ice land...then maybe food colouring/peppermint escence etc to add to the fun. as the ice melts it creates ublick to continue the play :o

Remember extending their learning can just be giving them more of what you atre already doing.

But ice cudes and salt will allow them to make models with them etc. Try adding water to sand and see what happens. Also builder's tray with ice cubes piled high and powder paint sprinkled on in various colours - let it mix as it melts and let them see what happens

I love all these ideas. I'll definitely be doing something like this on monday! Can't wait to see their faces on tuesday when instead of ushering them away from the frozen puddle in the middle of the playground, I'm encouraging them to play with all the frozen buckets, trays etc that will be out there! Thank you everyone!! xx

I love all these ideas. I'll definitely be doing something like this on monday! Can't wait to see their faces on tuesday when instead of ushering them away from the frozen puddle in the middle of the playground, I'm encouraging them to play with all the frozen buckets, trays etc that will be out there! Thank you everyone!! xx

Freeze something and see if you can keep it frozen. An idea I read on here many years ago suggested freezing water in a rubber glove and taking the frozen hand into the the children. Tell them you've found one of Jack Frosst hands and you need to stop it melting for him to collect tonight.

See what works, wrap it in tin foil, wool, paper etc.

You coud wash the dolls clothes and hang them on the line, see how stiff they are in the morning. Lay pieces of cardboard on the playgroup, remove in the morning and see if its icy underneath.

Edited by Rea

Brilliant ideas! A lot of my children who were fascinated by the ice yesterday. I can't wait to try out some of these ideas with them next week :o

You have some lovely ideas already. How about adding some food colouring to the water and seeing how it colours the ice?

we made autumn ice hangings this week. Filled a plastic cup with autumn leaves, conkers, acorns etc added water and a piece of string, froze it overnight (in the freezer as I happened to choose a mild day!) and then hung up the next day and watched it melt!

We also froze dinosaurs in sandwich boxes and had to try to get them out of the ice - lovely like to the ice age film.

You could also bring it inside and freeze small pieces of fruit in ice cube trays will with water and add to their drinks!

HTH

We broke ice into big bits, fixed them in clams and let children practise their woodwork skills by sawing it with mini handsaws. We also put long big bits of ice sticking out of trays with water, turning them into Ice Age scene overnight. Children loved painting little icebergs with watercolour paints.

my sons tuff spot looks FAB in the garden this evening just filled with autumn leaves and water! Whole thing has been frozen most of the day and he loved bobbing it up and down on the water below it, and scating on the ice but not sure we could do that at school!

The ice pictures were such a wonderful idea that I incorporated them into this week's planning. There's a whole range of silver foil take away containers filled with leaves,sticks,glitter,sparkly fabric,sequins,pebbles and other objects. Can't wait to see them hanging up...Also filled the water tray and children selected lots of things to put in. The Tuff Spot was left 'object free' to make a skating rink. I'm going to let the children take their own risks. Thank you. luluj

Thank you everyone for all the brilliant ideas! I took a mixture of a few ideas on here and on Monday afternoon, we put out plastic trays (the kind that you get as drawers in a cupboard for resources/ children's trays) and put about 2 or 3 cm of water in each with different things in them (most successful were glitter and feathers) and left them in the playground over night. This morning they were all frozen solid and we very carefully managed to get the ice out of the trays without breaking it. They looked absolutely gorgeous! We stood them up in the snow and made our own beautiful ice sculpture garden! We were so excited!! We've put more trays out tonight and have got a bit experimental with balloons filled with water too. Can't wait to get to work tomorrow and see how they turn out. I'm most excited about a tray of water with marbling inks floating on top!

some lovely ideas here!!!!! other thing we are doing is giving children water squirters with coloured water (food colouring). They love spraying this on the snow making patterns, was a good way to get the children mark making!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)