Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pregnancy, Risk Assessment, Changing Nappies

Hi I have just taken over as manager of a small local playgroup/pre-school and have got the task of completing a risk assessment of a employee who is approx 5 months pregnant. The previous manager said the employee could not change nappies and / or wet clothes. Previously children were being changed on the floor ina very small toilet area due to a lack of space. We have since invested in a small changing table as I was not happy with children being changed on the floor and adults heads being near the toilet!

I understand that the employee may not be able to lift toddlers onto the changing table but is there any reason why she cannot change wet clothes when children have accidents?

Also is there anywhere where I can get some health + safety advice re: the changing facilties, I have looked on the HSE website but cant find much?

Thanks.

I don't know of any reason why she shouldn't change nappies or wet clothes for H&S reasons. Normal good hygiene practice should protect her from any infection.

However, having suffered from horrendous morning sickness every day of two pregnancies I would say that if she's a sufferer it might be kind to let her off.

Edited by Upsy Daisy

The last 2 women who were pregnant at playgroup were not to move the heavy equipment but everything else was up to them. I know that could lead to abusing the system, but we trusted them. I dont think a pregnant woman should be excluded from anything she would normally have to do at home, that means changing wet clothes and nappies. So long as you've risked assessed and provided the correct resources she should be fine.

I changed nappies & wet & pooey clothes at work while pregnant. But... if I were pregnant again, I would ask if other staff oculd do it as I've had several miscarriages and getting older would be a higher risk pregnancy. Do you think high-risk applies & was agreed with the old manager?