Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fruit

I have read other threads about how people arrange their milk and fruit within their settings.

My job share and I are having a few problems with ours...

We run a 'milk bar'. the children have chairs around a table and they have their faces are stuck to the wall. they decided when they are going to have their snack - once they have helped themselves to a piece of fruit and milk they remove themselves from the wall so we know they have had their share.

This is working really well for 19 children in class but two just keep helping themselves to as many pieces as they feel like. any suggestions?

1. I am concerned that these two children are actually starving hungry - although I am fairly certain one is not.

2. At times not enough has been left for everyone to have their portion! this cant be allowed to continue.

3. If it isn't working for everyone do I assume it is not working and change it for all? Shame to change it when everyone else has just settled into the routine!

thoughts/suggestions.....

Is it possible that your wayward 2 need more help to understand what to do - could they be the first or last at the snack table - engineered by yourselves and with some adult assistance and talk about what is a correct portion and what is not? Or could they help prep the fruit, count how many it is to serve and work out how many pieces they need, i.e. half an apple each, so that it gets into their heads how much they are going to be allowed to have?

To be honest, we have some parents we know of that would allow their children to graze all day if they wanted to, the children are not really hungry, they just dont have any boundaries!!!

If their parents can satisfy you that their child has a decent breakfast each day - then a normal sized portion of fruit should be enough.

lol I am in agreement with finleysmaid - or only put out a small amount on the help yourself plates while the 'voracious appetites' are in the vicinity! We have some that would eat all morning if we let them and whilst rolling snack is about allowing them to make choices they may sometimes need guidance in making those choices!

We have a member of staff nearby, as we have a few with food 'issues' - this then enables a judicious comment of the "Don't forget there are the rest of your friends and that's all we have" variety.

Sue

these children are beyond your normal ' don't forget if you have two pieces, so and so might not have one' - you are right - these children are struggling with the concepts and need more support.

I think we may send the children to the break table in groups at our choosing (the problems always first so if they are desperate the they don't have to wait - and then the children know who is and who isn't meant to be there.

thanks for your comments

xxx

In our setting we have Key Worker groups - a mix of nursery, reception and year 1 children. There are about 10 in each key worker group. In the morning we have milk and a breadstick and in the afternoon a piece of fruit. All the children sit in their group and we have a theme each week to chat about as in circle time. We find it works well and we can monitor food consumption!

Hi, I've not tried this myself so don't know how practical it would be but how about turning the snack bar into a snack shop? The children could still collect their face and use this as currency to buy their snack with. Obviously this would have implications on staffing because the shop would have to be manned (maybe the shop could just be open for an hour or whatever fits) but maybe after a while the children could take over and play at being the shop keeper. It could be that after doing it this way for a while, your 2 little darlings get out of the habit of grazing or begin to understand the 'one face, one snack' rule. Also it gets a bit of maths into snack time!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)