Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sensory Experiences For Letter Formation

Guest laura286

Guest laura286

Hi all,

I need to do some more work on letter formation with my reception class, i am really against worksheets, so want to provide some sensory experiences that will help with their formation.

So far have come up with sand paper letters, shaving foam, sand (wet or dry)

Does anyone have any other ideas they would be kind enough to share?

Thanks,

Laura :o

ublick /toothpaste(cheap own brand)/salt/flour/playdough(to make 3d letters)/yoghurt/chocolate pudding/mashed potato/couscous......etc etc etc!!! xD oh and mud.....i'm sure i can think of a few more. I tend to go for the cheap brand products, amazing what you can find in the bargain buckets! Have fun :o

draw the letter shape in the air up to the left / draw it on their leg, hand / sit in a circle and draw the shape on the back of the person in front of you.

As well as sand paper- felt. velvet and bubble wrap mount these on boards so the children can hold with one hand and form the letter shape with their preferred writing hand.

Lorna

I've used glass beads with a group of receptions children they loved the sensory experience of pushing the pile into numeral shapes. Making a big letter out of shredded paper on the floor is great too.

We took it in turns to use big arm movements hold a ribbon to make numeral shapes and the others had to guess what numeral we were doing. The person making the shape has to face in the same direction as the audience so that the numeral comes out the right way round.

I guess these activities could all be translated to letter shapes.

I have made what I call 'Ribbon sticks' which are a length of stick with a metre of ribbon attached and the children sky write with them X

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)