Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Card List

Today a parent asked me for a list of all the childrens names. Firstly are we supposed to be passing a list of names to parents and secondly last year we spent too long sorting cards out. Does anyone have an easy solution please .We have 70 children are age 2-4 so many of them can't always remember the childrens names.

We're a small group and make a list of names available to each parent, and we have a post box which the children empty each day and distribute the cards to children's trays. It is a big responsibility to the older children who are having their last Christmas with us. Not sure how we'll organise it this year, since all our children are having their last Christmas with us! :o

Hi Bubblejack

A very timely post, as I was just thinking about something I must have seen or heard about last Christmas (too late at the time for me to do anything about it), a Christmassy picture possibly a tree with blank baubles for people to write their own Christmas message to everyone and then donate the money they would have spent on cards to charity.

Does anyone out there know what I am talking about, or have I dreamed the whole thing up, as I would really like to go down this road rather than sorting so many cards out. We would read out the new messages at circle times each day in the run up to Christmas so the messages will be shared with children and staff.

Thanks in advance :o

BMG

Edited by BMG

We do not give out lists of children's names for children protection reasons. We 'ask' that the children brings one speical card (we encourage homemade) which is shared with the group at circle time and displayed on the wall.

60 children x 60 cards is 3600 cards to sort and give out and what a waste of resources and parents money!

If a parent chooses to send cards we ask they stand at the door with their child and distribute them themsleves. It was very time consuming of staff dealing with them and over the years we have tried various child friendly ways but it still ended up a nightmare. The key is plenty of warning to parents, don't wait until 1st December

SORRY-BAH HUMBUG about cards :o

yes us too - post box outside emptied every session( if poss!) and we do give out childrens first names - if we didn't the parents would just stay in the cloakroom writing out the names from the pegs!! traditions are sometimes hard to break this has been the same for the last 15 years at least! :o

Thanks for ideas Hmnnn still not sure which way to go though. Last year we spent so long sorting cards out and found that children were sending cards to children that didn't even attend on their session. Then of course their were some children that didn't get many cards. I find it hard to fit everything in already. Ideas I thought of were to stick 70 named envelopes on the wall and ask parents to post and collect themselves or ask for volunteers to sort them out. Its the sorting out thats so time consuming. I might just ask parents what they think or just be a bar- humbug.I do spend a lot of time explaining the religious meaning of christmas to the children and I guess that giving presents relates to the Kings bringing their gifts to the baby Jesus but sending Christmas cards where does that originate from?

We do what Panders and some of the others have said they do. To get around the idea that some children might not get cards we always send a card to each child from each staff member. Then if we feel within the first few days (our parents like to be prepared!) that any children aren't getting many cards, we engineer the delivery system so no one ends the day without at least one card. We always give the cards out at the end of the session and where possible pop them into their bags so we don't have cards and envelopes all over the floor!

BMG

I also recall the Christmas tree bauble idea which was for a charity, I can't remember which charity though - if I find out I'll post details here...

Mind you..the children could create their own Christmas tree, parents could purchase a thin card 'bauble' to write their chirstmas message on with their child (e.g. 50p, you could then donate the money raised to the charity of the settings/children's choice.

Much more of the spirit of Christmas and surely less expensive for parents.

If the tree is created in segments, when finished with it could be transferred into a large book , together with details of the charity you supported, for children to look through and as a permanent record for...(dare I say Ofsted this time of year?)

Sam

We give out children names (first name) and each child has a number next to it. So there would be at least 6 children with the number 1 and 2 etc. We ask that the number is written where you would place a stamp.

Then we have a collecting office and children match number to box and they are then sorted into names with elastic bands which the children them pass out for each other and place in their own bag Simples! :o

However as staff we are doing one card for each child from all of us. We are having a photoshoot of staff with Christmas hat on and this will be made in the pre-school card making way for all our children, saves writing 65 cards each and its individual to us xD

PS Photo shoot is a friend taking our pic before start of session!!!!

we also give out first names, i dont see this as an issue after all the childrens names are on their pegs!!!!

we too have a post box and the children sort out cards we give them out on last day, we put them into decorated shoe boxes that the children have bought from home. we also put in the box items they have made, calendars, present and coins

Bigsue ....... can i have one of those cards please heehee

we also give out first names, i dont see this as an issue after all the childrens names are on their pegs!!!!

we too have a post box and the children sort out cards we give them out on last day, we put them into decorated shoe boxes that the children have bought from home. we also put in the box items they have made, calendars, present and coins

Bigsue ....... can i have one of those cards please heehee

You ask and you will recieve!!!!! :o