Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Workforce Strategy - Consultation

Dear All,

If you have got a couple of spare minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!! - if any of you haven't already sat down and read it - check out the Workforce Strategy launched April 2005 and you can also make comments as they are consulting to July 2005. This lengthy document tells you how they think they are going to achieve all our workforce problems - takes i think over 90 pages to do it but there are some interesting areas about making new gradings from 1 thru to 8.

Like Rea I am a bit lacking in the uploading attachment area and my excuse of not being able to work it out is that it is probably too long and would send some of your computers crashing down round its ears and its 2.oo in the morning. However, it can be found on the DFES site and I suggest that perhaps we all put in our two penny worth.

If any of you have time - let me have your thoughts - another bit of light reading - still if the Government change then will everything else go out the window too - worth getting a copy direct as if everything else fails it will keep us in scrap paper for a while!!!

Nikki

Thanks for the link Steve,

Nicola, have you read it all? I am already a week behind in my paperwork, so shall save it for half term reading xD , Look forward to some discussions on the subject. :o

Peggy

Thanks for finding that Nikki and to Steve for adding the link. I have just read the section about early years and it makes interesting reading. Especially the part about childcare/early years workers, not including teachers, and nursing auxiliaries/assistants are paid less than a school secretary!!!

From the little I have read, although 18 pages are dedicated to early years, it does recognise the fact that the sector is poorly paid and has a low status. The main aim is to have more teachers and degree level managers in full day care and foundation stage settings. There is a lot of money available but I just wonder how far it will spread?

The aim is to have a lot of this in place by 2015. They are going to need the time because of people getting degree qualifications.

I will leave you with a quote from the document

"The driver for reform is the need to improve the quality of early years' provision."

Make of that what you will!! :o

Linda

• 2 years later...

Not sure where to put this but I've just seen an article about a "skills shake up to unify sector" which is aimed at removing the disctinctions between teaching, playwork and childcare, following a new Government initiative.

Not much meat to get your teeth into, but it might be interesting...

http://www.cypnow.co.uk/bulletins/Daily-Bu...C-DailyBulletin

There was a little nugget of information which interested me: whispers that the Government wants to give the CWDC the responsibility for developing skills of the whole sector rather than allow the individual agencies retain control over their own particular area of interest.

Am off to see if I can find out what the Children's Workforce Action Plan is...

Maz

Hi Maz, there is also an article in this weeks Nursery World about CDWC action plans to bridge the gap between the demand for skills and the supply of training in the early years sector. Something else they are working on!.

Thanks for your link, just curious, do you subscribe to the Children & Young Peoples mgazine? I looked but seemed rathr expensive at £85 a year :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)