Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Ideas For A Game To Play With A Group Of Childre?

Hi everyone i have an interview as a teaching assitant next week friday in the reception class

and they told me that i must bring in a game of my choice to play with a group of children.Does anyone have any ideas for me?

My daughter is reception aged and she has animal dominoe game i was thinking of bringing that with me to play but im not sure i I really want to impress the interview pannel, 2 of them will be observing me while im playing a game with the group of children.

All ideas welcomed thanks

Kim

If your daughter loves it then it sounds a good bet. I expect they will be looking at how you handle the group more than the game you choose so it needs to be one you feel comfortable with.

I'm in preschool so can't confidently say what they'll be looking for but didn't want to read and run as it's so disheartening to see 3000 views and 0 replies :D

Good luck!

I agree; they'll be looking at how you interact with the children, include them all, encourage them to join in, look like you really enjoy their company, etc. If you choose something you're really familiar with, you will feel more confident rather than tackling something new in an interview/observation situation. Whatever you choose, maybe you could have an idea of what you want the children to learn from it? eg taking turns, counting to 5, recognising/matching shapes, etc. :o

I would choose something more like "Kim's game" or a memory speaking and listneing game with prompts such as " I went shopping" rather than dominoes as that is rather closed and will not necessarily show your skills to the best advantage.

Good luck.

the absolute favourite amongst my reception children is bug in a rug. The children sit in a circle and you choose 1 child to turn around and shut their eyes. You then choose 1 child to crouch small in the centre of the circle and you cover them lightly with a piece of material. The rest of the class chant bug in a rug, bug in a rug, whose that bug in a rug and the child who has to guess opens their eyes and looks around the circle looking for the gap in the children and trying to remember who was sitting there. If they can't guess I usually say bug in the rug can you squeak hello so that the child has another clue we then repeat several times. This game is fab particularly at the beginning of the year to help them to learn each other's names.

I imagine that they will be looking for how you engage with the children, your enthusiasm and your management of a group of children so you could probably do anything.

Hope it goes well!

the absolute favourite amongst my reception children is bug in a rug. The children sit in a circle and you choose 1 child to turn around and shut their eyes. You then choose 1 child to crouch small in the centre of the circle and you cover them lightly with a piece of material. The rest of the class chant bug in a rug, bug in a rug, whose that bug in a rug and the child who has to guess opens their eyes and looks around the circle looking for the gap in the children and trying to remember who was sitting there. If they can't guess I usually say bug in the rug can you squeak hello so that the child has another clue we then repeat several times. This game is fab particularly at the beginning of the year to help them to learn each other's names.

I imagine that they will be looking for how you engage with the children, your enthusiasm and your management of a group of children so you could probably do anything.

Hope it goes well!

We play a similar game - based on sleeping lions, the children are dotted around the hall, as sleeping lions, I then cover one up and then the rest gather around and try to guess who is under the sheet - they adore this game and ask to play it whenever we ask - what shall we play!

Thanks for all your lovely replies,i dont think i can do a circle game with them like mr bear or bug in the rug because they said i would be playing with a small group, so maybe 4 children i really need to get this job.

Hi kim - firstly - good luck - hope it goes really well for you! xD

I am pre-school - so don't know if I should be making any suggestions really :(:o ........

My children love the 'what's missing' game - I put a group of objects into a shallow tray.......might be all same 'theme' or quite random.......and then under cover I remove one item and the children 'shout out' when they know 'what's missing' - simple and fun!

I am pre-school - so don't know if I should be making any suggestions really :(:o ........

My children love the 'what's missing' game - I put a group of objects into a shallow tray.......might be all same 'theme' or quite random.......and then under cover I remove one item and the children 'shout out' when they know 'what's missing' - simple and fun!

That's what's called Kim's Game Sunnyday! You could modify this with all the items beginning with one sound but introduce one which starts with a completely different sound and they have to guess what the different one is - we have done that. Or matching up some items which would go together and one odd one out

Thanks so much for responding i love your idea its sound really good and it sounds like lots of fun even for my self i could really do this what objects should i use and how many do you suggest?

thanks again.

kim

p.s dominoes is a bit boring we would just be sitting their trying to match and it really wouldent help me show the observers how good i can be plus the children may loose intrest, but with this guessing game its sure to keep them intrested.

Yes, I agree - a memory game sounds like a great idea with plenty of scope to discuss various aspects of learning as they play.

Good luck with the interview, Kim xD

Thanks for the "Bug in a rug" game idea busybeedeb - that sounds like a fun and easy game to play. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)