Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Resources

Hi everyone

Over the summer we had a lot of work done to our setting including the creation of a new outdoor space. Now it is a very narrow piece of land that has a metal fence at either end, the bottom extends out to a small garden area. Now we have three large blackboards outside and soft sponge surface and that is it.

I have a few ideas and I am going to consult the children but what is your most valueable resources for outside and why?

Got a few ideas of my own

Planters - herbs - sensory

Weave florists ribbon throught the fence - act as a screen too

Thanks ladies

It sounds corny, I know, but my most valuable resource outside is my excellent staff. They engage the children well and find themselves in all manner of imaginary play! They dig and weave, race and bounce on trampolines, even squish themselves onto the slide when asked. They are fabulous!

as we had a small garden we used old tyres as planters. put two together , worked well and meant any child hitting themselves on the was unhurt.. and free from local garage.. a bonus..

we also had some the children used to play with in all sorts of ways, they loved them..

guttering and pipes... loose used all the time ours included a box of cars and balls .

and both free!

hoops... easy to store and always in use..

Inge

I'm very very pleased with our marquee and large new shed. Not strictly speaking resources but both invaluable for all weather access.

I went for a professional quality marquee which I managed to get funded by the LEA via a capital grant. It cost over £500 but well worth it come rain, shine, wind, any weather!

Of course if it's possible for you, a fixed awning would be brilliant, we were not allowed.

Also outdoor tap has proved completely invaluable.

I am in Reception and the resources the children use and enjoy the most is den making equipment. We have a large basket with blankets, a cargo net, a couple of curtains, some pegs, and some long ribbons. We also have plastic IKEA chairs and tables, a tunnel, milk crates, tyres and some large plastic blocks. One of our Dads is a carpet fitter so we have lots of very large tubes, and of course cardboard boxes. None of this was very expensive and with it they make all manner of dens, castles, spaceships..... It is fantastic to see, so I definitely think open-ended materials are the way to go!

I am in reception, my children love cardboard boxes of all shapes and sizes and our literacy trolley which conatins chalks, pencils and paper, paint bushes and containers and clipboards.

throughout this week they have loved the little brooms and spent ages brushing up leaves.

I also value my weather boxes I have a windy day box (kites, plastic bags on strings, ribbons, tinsel, windy related song sheet) and a rainy day box (foil trays, conatiners, plastic sheeting, powder paint, rain songs.

The things my children play with the most are large wooden blocks, large pieces of material, pegs and ropes and they make all sorts of structures.

Emma

I just wanted to say how helpful topics like this are. Reading this forum always gives me a fresh burst of inspiration.

At the moment, I feel pretty uninspired when it comes to our outdoor area. We always seem to put out the same things (particularly bikes), and I'd really like to mix things up a bit! Thanks for some great ideas :o

We have just painted our shed with black board paint! - genius idea (even if I say so myself!) we don't have a huge garden so this has made good use of what we have! One side of the shed has guttering for water play, another has loads of tubs (which attached to a rail then go in the shed at the end of session) full of chalks, crayons, paints, paper ect.

Also have a few sandpits, one for sand, another has loads of natural materials like shells, stone, bricks some soil and also we have a log pile which goes down well. The kids use all these materials to build, explore ect.

Want to copy kathrynmc's den idea above!!!

our best resource is our waterproofs wellies hats and gloves and what ever i can find in a skip

also we have a fantastic sand pit its huge 15 children could sit in it and have room to play

but also what we find nautrally in our garden under logs in bushes and up trees!

i feel we work better when the children are left to choose,

the only thing we set up are book area, musical instruments , water tray

children have access to mark making, bikes,guttering, large community hollow blocks, usual bats and balls hoops tarpauline,

silk scarves, materials, rope, umbrellas, a garden tap, role play items etc

We have just painted our shed with black board paint! - genius idea (even if I say so myself!) we don't have a huge garden so this has made good use of what we have! One side of the shed has guttering for water play, another has loads of tubs (which attached to a rail then go in the shed at the end of session) full of chalks, crayons, paints, paper ect.

Also have a few sandpits, one for sand, another has loads of natural materials like shells, stone, bricks some soil and also we have a log pile which goes down well. The kids use all these materials to build, explore ect.

Want to copy kathrynmc's den idea above!!!

OMG that shed thing is a genius idea, I'm off to email leader to suggest we get someone in to do that asap!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)