Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observations?

Was just wondering if anyone else was doing the observation unit? and if so am i the only one having problems in y setting carrying out observations? we have to do an average of one observation and one analysis every other week but the observations need to be on something specific i.e IT or seperating from a carer. So i am finding i always have issues with the other staff allowing me time to do them as this often involves the set up of an activity also. I am consequently already an observation behind :-(

Do you need to write them up immediately? I find I'm often observing something and I'll jot a quick note on my notepad, along the lines of 'Suzie, blocks, look 3 red' and there'll be sufficient there to remind me of the details I need. I write it up a bit more fully as soon as I can, and then add 'flesh' to it later, perhaps after a chat with 'Suzie'

Do you have a mentor within your setting? Could you perhaps have a word with him/her about your difficulties? Presumably your employer has agreed to support you through your course - are they clear on what this entails? If not then perhaps you could give them a copy of your assignment criteria so that they can give you the support you need.

Hope you get it sorted - otherwise it is a bit like fighting with one hand tied behind your back!

Maz

thanks guys :-)

I do need to write fairly detailed as the analysis needs to be 2500 words so if the observation is short the analysis is short also :-(

I do have a mentor but tbh its just a thing on paper they're not exceptionally supportive.

hmm, it sounds like you need to try to 'timetable' some observation time then. Could you perhaps mention at the start of the morning that you need 15 minutes or so to do an observation? Are you observing children who aren't your key group? I'd be delighted if someone wanted to do some observations of children from my key group - not because I don't enjoy them, but because a different pair of eyes can see something else.

• 2 months later...

Hi smallsmall

Do you have to do the observations all yourself? I am covering The Developing Child and making Obs on children at the mom. Our tutor advised us that observations taken by other staff members can also be used. The information is then linked to EYFS and Theorists. May save time if you have several observations to choose from to pick out the ones that are most informative for your essay.

dottyp

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)