Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted

sarah09

We are a privately owned nursery, and hopefuly completing the kite mark, so today a lady came round observing our interactions with the children, the enviroment and so on. When she looked at our rota for nappy changing she commented that ther was no need for a rota because ir should be the key person changing their child and change them wheb we think they need it. Ofetad regulation does any othet seeting do this as my argument was we like changing all the children as it gives u acloser bnd to all the children not just our own, and say for example you had prepared an activity for ur child to support their learning, what stop .

We are a privately owned nursery, and hopefuly completing the kite mark, so today a lady came round observing our interactions with the children, the enviroment and so on. When she looked at our rota for nappy changing she commented that ther was no need for a rota because ir should be the key person changing their child and change them wheb we think they need it. Ofetad regulation does any othet seeting do this as my argument was we like changing all the children as it gives u acloser bnd to all the children not just our own, and say for example you had prepared an activity for ur child to support their learning, what stop .

oh sorry for spelling mistakes annoyed

i know some of my provisions do nappy changing by keycarers - they all say its much better as its a 'chatty time' and not a chore when on the rota its 'your turn' to do the nappy run and you were stuck changing nappy after nappy - depends on the provision i suppose :oxD

I know a couple of nurserys that use the key worker system for changing nappies and one that rotates the staff so none can get too much access to a childs personal needs.

I do think though that having a set time can lead to a setting being very routine based rather than activity based. Staff tend to watch the clock to see when its time to change nappies and I've been in a setting where staff wouldnt start an activity because it would interfer with the nappy changing. Maybe thats what she was refering to?

Hi Sarah

I would recommend taking a look at the 'in depth' on the EYFS Cd rom under key person.

Personally I think personal care routines should be carried out by a minimal number of people (key person and buddy or second person for when KP is not available) as this is part of the key person approach. Obviously in some settings there may well only be two people anyway, but one of the settings I support has 6 key staff and I would always ask is it really appropriate or suitable for all of them to change all of the children?