Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Ever Mindee Planning An Observations

Hello , Ive got my first mindee starting next week and i have no idea what im doing in relation to observations and planning. She will be 2 @ end of month. Do i have to plan around what she likes and also do planning around seasons, festivals thru out the year etc? What observations do i do? Do i do indepth obs on what she is doing ( say 1 per month) - to include next steps / links to EYFS / How i supported learning and development? and say maybe (1 per month) quick ob as what she is doing generally to includ links to EYFS / Next steps and age range, and (1 per month) obs of adult led activity???

Im only having the little girl Thursday and Friday afternoon every other week.

Hi I'm pre=school rather than childminder, but I guess the principles are similar. We would suggest getting to know the child in the first place, then begin to make observations. However, as you are only going to have her for such a short time getting to know her could be tricky.

if she settles well the first time you have her we would do a First Day written observation on what she enjoyed doing and what generally happened.

You will know if she has settled well what she enjoyed doing so you can make sure that that is available the next day along with anything else to engage her with.

If she doesn't settle well initially I expect you will have your hands full coping with that and not be able to make any observations!

At pre-school we make lots of incidental observations - something to go on a post it note, and every few weeks as next steps become fullfilled make another long observation to carry on with. you will inevitably settle into a routine. One of the childminders who collects from us keeps a diary on her little ones and fills something in each day and the odd photo etc.

Dont forget that even if you're not making official obs you'll still be absorbing the things she does, what she enjoys, dislikes etc, so dont think you have to write it all down. So long as you know her, you'll naturally plan to her interests. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)