Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Completing Accident Books

just a quick question,

when do you fill in your accident books? do you do it after the accident has happened, at the end of the session?

the reason i ask is because the other day, i noticed a member of staff filling out the book in the session time (other staff dealing with injured child), which left me the only member of staff with the children. as the accident had happened on the slide, this area was then left with no supervision while they were "form filling"

i know the end of the session can be quite hectic, and it could be forgoten later, but is their an eaiser way of doing it.

although im the leader, and feel this could be part of my job to do paper work bits, im included on the child ratio's so i dont really get any time for admin type work while in the setting.

this is another area i have problems with, im taken out of the session to talk to parents, link teachers who turn up without warning, answering the phone and so on, i feel i dont spend enough time with the children as it is, but then again, am i supposed to, or should the other staff take the main role of caring and educating the children and i just manage the group from within the setting?

im finding it harder and harder to do both.

any suggestions?

Your set up sounds like mine. I am the playleader but as I'm counted in the ratio's and have to do paperwork and deal with visitors it can be quite a juggling act. Our accident book gets filled in by the person who dealt with the accident, or sometimes by someone else if they actually saw it happen and can then fill in the relevant bits. It would really be stretching things if more than one member of staff dealt with one thing at the same time, although in a serious case this would be unavoidable, most accidents can be handled by one person I would think. :D

I didnt answer the last part did I? I always try to be involved with the children at all times, thats what I joined for! If the phone rings, the person nearest answers it (we're in a church hall so no seperate office) Visitors are let in by who ever notices someone at the door (we have no bell and they have to knock hard or wave through the window) Make sure that if teachers are going to come in they let you know in advance, it's unprofessional not to I would think. xD Dont try to do everthing, delegate, I have never done enough of that, and wish I had, not only for myself but also for the others. We are committee run, so I dont have the admin side to deal with but I still get committee members asking questions I just wont talk to them during a session. If you havent got a committee I'd try to set aside an hour or so a week to do paperwork, sounds easy I know :o Hope that helps a bit. :D

I always fill in the accident forms during the session so that it's ready when the parents arrive to pick up the child, as they need to be informed and sign it. I don't think it would be fair to keep them hanging around whilst I filled in the form when they arrived. Also, it might be overlooked if left till the end, as you say this can be a hectic time! Would be interested to hear what others do. :D

We fill our accident book in as soon the child/accident has been dealt with by the qualified first aider. As far as I know this is how it should be done (Ofsted recomendations)... especially with bumps to the head as they have to be checked and written down every 1o mins. There may be occasions when this is not appropriate i.e. if you have to accompany the child to hospital for example.

We always keep our accident book with our register so that when children are marked as going home we can get parent/carer to sign appropriate forms.

I have been in the same situation when it has meant that our staff:child ratio has been affected for a few minutes but we also have to ensure we cover ourselves by correctly filling in relevent paperwork.

Carol

We fill our accident book in as soon the child/accident has been dealt with by the qualified first aider. As far as I know this is how it should be done (Ofsted recomendations)... especially with bumps to the head as they have to be checked and written down every 1o mins. There may be occasions when this is not appropriate i.e. if you have to accompany the child to hospital for example.

We always keep our accident book with our register so that when children are marked as going home we can get parent/carer to sign appropriate forms.

I have been in the same situation when it has meant that our staff:child ratio has been affected for a few minutes but we also have to ensure we cover ourselves by correctly filling in relevent paperwork.

Carol

it does sound like we have have the same set up rea, i do have a committee, but you know how they can be.

i know all your suggestions are the right way to do it, and i will continue to do it the same way.

i have tried to delegate, (as part of my personal development) as im also doing the foundation degree. i guess im just having a bad day. i work 3 full days, one half day and then to college for afternoon and evening and a full day at college, so im probally just exhusted. i still find it hard to trust others to do the jobs i set for them, come monday morning, i get "Oh i was busy this weekend and forgot" well, i was a bit busy myself! im too soft on them. i have to be firmer. i always get told i dont praise them enough, well, when they do something i can praise them for maybe i will. i dont get any praise or support from anyone and therefore find it harder to give it to others.

got staff meeting next thursday, so they better be ready for me!

none of them look forward to coming back after a holiday, cos it usually means ive come up with some new idea and im going to make changes, and some of my staff hate change. but im going to be strong.

Hi Ruthie

I sympathise with you, I really do. My colleagues usually look at me in horror when I say "I've been thinking...".

At our Ofsted we had a couple of points for consideration which we've addressed over the Easter holidays. Very minor points, but they have quite a major effect on the way we organise our session.

So we've re-jigged our daily plan and its 'all change' again for the new term. They'll be delighted! Come Tuesday morning about 9.30 if you hear a dull rumbling sound, that will be the staff muttering...

So, Ruthie, keep the faith, be strong and after all its only seven weeks until half term!

Maz

Hi Ruthie

At our pre-school the person who deals with the accident completes the book after they have seen to the child. That way it is done straight away and doesn't get forgotten and only 1 member of staff is dealing with it so not upsetting the ratios.

As to delegating-why don't you just start with small jobs at first? Things like keeping track of consummables like toilet rolls and paint etc. Or ensuring there are birthday cards for all the children. These can be done within the setting, no need to take stuff home, and then you are involving the staff more but not overloading them with huge responsibilities. Slowly but surely you can add a bit more and that way it takes the pressure off you and makes your staff feel more involved and part of a team. This is what I did and now feel that, although I still have a lot of the responsibility as the owner, it is not as bad as it used to be.

Linda

Hi Ruthie

We all seems to have the same set up.

We also fill in the accident book when the accident happens (where ever possible) because trying to run a playgroup/nursery as well as being part of the staff ratio as you already know is no easy task. I feel that it is important that it is done by the person dealing with the accident and as group leader I have to counter sign everything (as I own and run the group I feel this is safer for my own protection). It is very important that the parent/carer sees the accident book at the end of the session (especially if it has been a nasty accident) and anything should happen when they go home :( Over the top I know but I worry my self sick about being held responsible should things go wrong.

One comment made by the OFSTED inspector when she came was that one of my members of staff had written in pencil (you try finding a pen in the cupboard when you want one xD ) She advised that we should only write in pen as it is a legal document. So I make sure (with the help of a piece of string :D ) that a pen hangs connected to the book. Now all we have to do is remember to change it when it runs out (and guess what just like the blasted toilet roll I always seem to be the one that ends up doing it) :o

We have the same policy with the ''Home accident book'' where this has to be filled straight away as well (even though parents/carers don't always like doing this).

I know how frustrating it is I am doing my degree in Childhood studies, own and run the group as well as going through a difficult break up in my marriage. I sometimes wonder how the dickens I manage to stay above water. (I think it's the love of the children that does it) :)

Keep your chin up and take care

Carolann

hi Ruthie

my set up just like reas have to have excellent hearing for a knock at the door (bell dosnt work) im the supervisor do not delegate enough as i think im the only one who can do things properly (shhh dont tell Maz as we were on a good lead course about delegating...i am trying)!!!!!!!

Accident book should be filled in there and then so that parent or carer can sign and have copy when they pick up, its a tough job none of us have enough time with the children these ays but we have to do the best we can :D:D:D

Ah Hali!

I was off sick with bronchitis the second week of the course, so I missed the delegation bit! Perhaps I should have delegated someone else to attend in my absence...

Maz

thanks again for all your advice,

who needs the other staff and all this training, when i can just log onto the forum to get all the answers i need from people who really know what their talking about.

thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)