Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

planniong formats based on BTTM and 'Key Times'

Guest Jo_M

That may be their remit, but it hasn't stopped ours delivering and cascading BTTM training - those 'on high' thought that it would be more effective if it was delivered by 'qualified teachers' xD ... so three development officers, all with early years/education/playwork degrees and between three and eight years practice experience each isn't enough (okay, so that's not much but BTTM hasn't been around that long!)

We are seen as the 'care corner' in our office and get asked about toilet training and biting and little else - well, perhaps I'm being a bit over-critical, but it feels like it sometimes :(

Sorry, going off topic.... but feel better now! :D

Just to make you feel a little better, or to let you know I empathise completely. I was an Early Years Advisor for 2 years for my local LEA, ( actually 2 days less than 2 years, so didn't get redundancy pay :o ) Then Government said they wanted a teacher advisor for every ten preschools, thus I lost the job. I was paid, £18,000 p.a., they came into the exact same job on £23,000 p.a.. However, I was employed for an additional 6 weeks to induct the new teachers. Don't get me wrong they were very nice people but didn't have a clue about committees, working in shared venues, the different management structure of preschools etc, but they were very knowledgable about what to teach and how to plan. In other words they didn't have an holistic view of early Years in practice.

Peggy

• 3 weeks later...

I dont often have anything to contribute but if anyone can make use of this planning sheet you are more than welcome. It's bit's and pieces from formats given by other members, but I think this will work for the setting I'm in at the moment :D

Try again!

Sorry, it wont attach :o

Steve???

The next instalment of my dilemma on page 4 has arrived.

The 2 to 3 room staff are happily working with their new style of planning, and the results have really shown in the positive changes that the children are displaying.

They have been trialling their way of planning, and are keen to continue with it. Themes have been thrown out the window, and things are ticking along nicely.

The 0 to 2s are obviously aware of the changes, and are wondering what to do with their planning. They have trialled a week without themes, and are now sold on the idea.

However, they do not feel that the planning sheet that the 2 to 3s are using is appropriate for the under 2s, and I can see their justifications.

The whole planning/observation area is something that I have planned for us all to look at in more detail as a whole nursery in September - after some other actions from my Action Plan have been addressed.

I don't want to ignore their current concerns re planning, but I also don't want to get side-tracked from my Action Plan of priorities.

The staff know that we are going to look at the issue in detail in Sept, and I have told them in the meantime to trial what they think works for the children in their room, and not to worry about what is going on in other rooms. We can then all feedback in Sept. I am very keen for them to make the suggestions themselves, rather than 'tell' them what I want done. They have had a lot of telling in the past, and have been very demotivated as a result. E.g. the last manager told them that the babies needed to be working on themes, even though the staff in that room thought it was inappropriate.

Anyway, back to my question! My question is, can the planning format in the 0-2 and the 2-3 rooms be different from one another, if the staff feel that this is appropriate for their children? I am in mixed minds?!?!

Hope you can help!

The staff know the children, they know their job (hopefully) Trust them!!

Give them a shot at it, you'll probably be thrilled with the results!

Sue

PS, let us know!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

In response to an earlier post about themes for under threes on here

an interesting way of looking at this

themes have their place in pre-school but when pre-school are doing say autumn for example a baby or under three would be coming to terms with what a leaf is - this is in relation to their understanding

this helps to see why themes are inapropriate for under threes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)