Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

planniong formats based on BTTM and 'Key Times'

Guest Jo_M

Hi

As an Early Years Adviser we have been asked by some of our settings for support with planning for the 2-3 age group. We have begun work on some medium term planniong formats based on BTTM and 'Key Times' a Framework from one of the London Boroughs. One particular setting we worked with last term are going to pilot them for us this term and let us know how they work. Let me know if this would be of interest and if so I shall report progress.

Happy New Term for those just starting back!

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

I would also be interested in the planning for infants and toddlers. We have a parent and toddler group within the Foundation stage at our school. It meets once a week on a Wednesday morning for 2 hours. I would like some ideas for formats for planning and recording sessions. Whatever you are using I am sure would be a useful starting point for us. :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi :D

I have recently joined this forum and I'd firstly like to say,what a fantastic site this is!!!!!!!!!

I am currently doing my long, medium, and short term planning built around the birth to three matters pack. I am also studying at present as well as being employed full time which is what most of you are doing I suspect. :o

I am doing a dissertation module also based around the birth to three pack, I am trying to find out how other settings are using the BTTM, and also what training people would like to see to be able to help with planning for children aged 0 - 3 years. If anyone could help with my studies I would really appreciate it! I am in the process of developing a questionnaire so if anyone is interested, please let me know.

I would like to welcome you Jo to the forum. Thank you for your first post. It is a brilliant site isn't it?

I hope you will get a lot of help from others on the site but also be able to add your own views!

Linda

Hi there ..... and I too am trying to find some simple/easy to use planning sheets that I can use for the BTTM - have been searching for months now, and still can't find any!

Looks like I might have to try and come up with my own!! (Well there's a challenge!)xD:(

There must be some somewhere!

But think we might have to wait 'til the EYDCP's have received their training being developed by Manchester Uni. and then they can 'cascade' it down to us !

Just hope Ofsted don't pop in to see me before I've got anything in writing!

byeeeeee :o

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been able to find any formats either for BTTM. So I will be making my own!! xD

I would love to see what others are coing up with as it is nice to see things from someone elses perspective as some times you can easily miss things. :o

I have written a little in the Planning, observations and assesments part of the Nurseries and pre-schools part of the website as I am compiling planning for all our nursery. BTTM and the FS. As part of the nusery means that I have to run the two along side each other.

Let us know how you get on and I will try and let everyone know too!! :D

Hello, I am quite new to all of this but it is such a relief to see that i am not the only person baffled with bttm!!! :o

I have recently started a new role as deputy of a day nursery and have been asked by my manager to use the bttm in the planning for our under 3s! Well i am stumped so if anyone using this system could shed any light i will be forever in dept to you!! :D:D:D:D:D

Hi Goodison, and welcome to the site. Thanks for making your first post. I can't help with planning for the BTTM as we are only concerned with the FS in our setting, but I'm sure other members will add their comments. :D

Hey snap!! xD

I am a deputy and have been asked to sort out the planning for the whole nursery ~ BTTM and FS!!

I will be letting people on the forum know how I am getting on and passing on anything that may be helpfull!!

So keep an eye on the BTTM part of the website :D

Don't dispair I am beginning to understand it and get my head around it slowly so there is hope!! :o

"Birth to Three Matters" well yes we've all known that for ages!!!!!!!!

Now the government have agreed with us they have produced "the pack" but forgot about the training!! Just left us to flounder in bewilderment!!

I have tried to come up with planning formats but to no avail. I hope training is soon readily available. Please if anybody has been clever enough to produce some kind of paperwork to tie it all together I would love to see how you have organised it. :(xD:o

At last we have finally been offered some training on 'Birth to three matters', :D:D:D it's in May. I have already started using our pack and incorporating it in to our planning so hopefully I'am doing the right thing. I don't want to start again as it's been hard enough trying to convince the staff that a change is for the better, it has taken me since January to convince them, so fingers crossed I won't have to change too much!!!!!! :o

HI Everyone

I have just stumbled across this great site .I am a senior nursery nurse in a PDN and I co ordinate the 2 - 3 yrs I thought I was the only one that couldn`t get my head round the planning formats for BTTM so whats the answers then?? please some one help me all I need is some templates of other peoples planning just to get me started .

Hi Kirsty

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your first post.

Can't help with the BTTM at the moment. It would seem that everybody is in the same boat! Great idea but how do we use it? Looks like they need to get the training organised!

Hopefully this will happen soon and you will all be able to start helping one another.

Linda

Hi Everyone

I've been asked to present training on BTTM as part of a multi-agency approach with Birmingham EYDCP. I'd be really interested to knowwhat practitioners would find useful. I have some ideas myself, but many heads are better than one!!

Guest Candy

Like any new document, BTTM has taken a bit of time for everyone to get their heads around. Everytime I open the pack up I see other ways it could possibly be used. I think it's important to remember that part of the bewilderment we face with the BTTM will be resolved when we "get stuck in".

I can remember feeling similarly when the Foundation Stage Curriculum was introduced, and the same questions about planning formats and transitions to the next stage of learning were in my head. Looking back now, it's difficult to remember what I did before it was in place. I expect the BTTM will be the same.

As for planning formats, what I personally read from the materials is that the activities that we prepare should be based on appropriate real life experiences, that interest the children and offer them security through flexible routines. The significant experiences the children receive will depend on the skill of the adults interacting with the children and the cards in the pack offer suggestions for this.

The advice I have offered to some of the settings I support (understanding that I am new in this too :o ) is to plan for the learning environment ensuring that there are routines (which can always be broken if needed) and a choice of activities that interest the children. Observations of the children's behaviours whilst engaged in these activities will then help you to identify their developmental levels identified on the development matters box on every card. From there next steps in learning can be identified and addressed in following sessions.

I have reservations about suggesting more concrete sets of plans in this age range because I believe one size doesn't fit all, and children's learning is so fluid and variable at this age that by setting what we do in stone we may stop ourselves from noticing significant learning and reacting to it appropriately.

I have reservations about suggesting more concrete sets of plans in this age range because I believe one size doesn't fit all, and children's learning is so fluid and variable at this age that by setting what we do in stone we may stop ourselves from noticing significant learning and reacting to it appropriately.

I personallt think this is soo true and extends to the Foundation Stage too, learning should be flexible and extend the children's interests, and not be set in stone...

The problem now is how do we plan and show this, without creating paperwork that we do not use!

Any ideas???

• 2 weeks later...

i am trying to get my head round all this bttm and am really interested in seeing how others are using it and recording info!

please someone help! ha ha i am thinking of putting mime in two folders, adult iniated activities ands routine activities!!!!

what do you think!!!!

HELP! :oxD

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quickie!

My manager today showed me a new pack of leaflets availale for help with recording Birth to three! they cost about £25! I have managed to talk her into buying them on the promise that i will adapt them for our setting!!!! I will let you know what they are like!!

:D

HI Goodison

I'd be really interested to see the leaflets. Please post an address or website where we can locate them.

Thanx

Hello the folder came through today and i havent really had chance to have agood look thriugh!

It is done by " Sound Learning"" and is called birth to three observation record for childrens development and it features an easy to use format, entry system, development observation record sheets plus a range of general record, planning and management sheets!

There is no web site but there is a telephone number 01543 467787!

i will let youknow what i think when i get a free moment to have a look!

• 1 year later...

Hi

Rather than just using focus activities I have found it easier to do daily observations on development of each key child. To make this easier to work with BTTM I made a daily routine list based on each area of the day ie. arrival, circle times, meal times, outdoor play, art & craft and then alongside each different activity put the relevent Aspect and Component.

Obtaining a copy of Trackers from QED website helped.

This gave me a quick reference for doing the monthly reports rather than trying to work out what went where.

Jules :o

• 6 months later...

I work in toddler room with 2-3 year olds.

They way we have implemented BTT is by setting up the room into diff areas ie: Construction area, home corner, creative area, Imaginative area, Senory area, book corner & a mark making/writting/drawing area.

We have all the toys down low for the children to choose what to play with each day. Even the creative area is set up everyday with paint, glue, materials for the children to do their own creative activities without being adult led.

Staff are their to support children & to extend their learning by talking to them about what they are doing, playing with, what they are going to play with next, etc.

At our nursery we have a policy of helping children to think for themselves & to be confident to plan their own play & when children leave us they are all very confident. We feel this gives them a good head start in life.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sarah!

Welcome - better late than never!!

I missed this when you posted as I have been inordinately busy, but was very interested, as this is exactly what we do. We have deliberately abandoned any rigid structure, preferring to put something out on Monday and then follow the children's lead. We have developed a selection of laminated sheets with photos of them using available activities to facilitate a 'children's choice' element.

This approach. as you say, means their independence is encouraged and there are loads of opportunities for observations, which is what it's all about - taking children forward!! It certainly means we have lots of little bright sparks coming up to our Pre-school room, ready and eager for all the new challenges and learning experiences.

Sue

Sue

I have been 'tuning in' to the posts in this section every now and again. Your flexible approach to B-3 matches the advise given by us in our authority. I would be concerned about the settings using rigid planning formats and recording of observations against some of the recording systems that are out there. Many are jumping on the bandwagon and some are also suggesting bad practice.

I like Sally Featherstones overview poster as a reference to the language of B-3 (and FSP - where appropriate) for adding post -its or as reference when jotting observations.(Featherstone website) Planning should come from observations and then 'next steps' or 'possible lines of development (PLODs!). As for 'evidence' to show ofsted - the B-3 doc talks about planning as conscious awareness and discussion of where to go to next. In fact if you read the CGFS planning supplement the emphasis is on oral planning / thinking and not lots of paperwork.

It should be interesting to see the planning guidance that goes with the Early years Foundation Stage. I know that the B-3 authors were not happy with the planning example in B-3

LGM

Hi there,

We think fairly much the same here!

I, too am interested in how it all pans out with the new stuff, when it finally arrives. I'm hoping it doesn't make me opt for early retirement! :o

Sue

Sue

I have been 'tuning in' to the posts in this section every now and again. Your flexible approach to B-3 matches the advise given by us in our authority. I would be concerned about the settings using rigid planning formats and recording of observations against some of the recording systems that are out there. Many are jumping on the bandwagon and some are also suggesting bad practice.

I like Sally Featherstones overview poster as a reference to the language of B-3 (and FSP - where appropriate) for adding post -its or as reference when jotting observations.(Featherstone website) Planning should come from observations and then 'next steps' or 'possible lines of development (PLODs!). As for 'evidence' to show ofsted - the B-3 doc talks about planning as conscious awareness and discussion of where to go to next. In fact if you read the CGFS planning supplement the emphasis is on oral planning / thinking and not lots of paperwork.

It should be interesting to see the planning guidance that goes with the Early years Foundation Stage. I know that the B-3 authors were not happy with the planning example in B-3

LGM

45475[/snapback]

Hi LGM

Any chance you could put in a link or web address for the Sally Featherstone poster, I've tried a search but can only find her books.

I agree that their experiences should be child initiated and promote the development of independance and autonomy, within a safe, secure environment. The adults skill is to be able to read and follow the childrens inquisite natures.

Thanks

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)