Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

planniong formats based on BTTM and 'Key Times'

Guest Jo_M

sorry

I know I have the catalogue at work some where will keep looking - I suggest you send for catalogue which has 'the little book of..' many of which are well worth buying and the posters are in the catalogue too

Will keep searching for phone no

LGM

Had a brainwave and looked in back of little books

fax 0185 88 1360

Featherstone Education

44-46 High Street

Husbands Bosworth

Leicestershire

LE17 6LP

0185 888 1212 phone

email <info@featherstone.uk.com>

LGM

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

As an Early Years Adviser we have been asked by some of our settings for support with planning for the 2-3 age group.  We have begun work on some medium term planniong formats based on BTTM and 'Key Times' a Framework from one of the London Boroughs.  One particular setting we worked with last term are going to pilot them for us this term and let us know how they work.  Let me know if this would be of interest and if so I shall report progress.

Happy New Term for those just starting back!

Jo

1677[/snapback]

Hello, I'm an adviser too and have been using Key Times as a reference point. I have developed planning formats but with a view to loosening up as they become more confident with the expectations of using B23.

Would like to know how you are getting on.

Sarah :o

I support settings with BTTM and would not spend too much time on the long, medium or short term planning. Whilst I understand the need for the staff to have a focus on what they are doing, the children need to initiate the play and how can you plan for what they want to do?

When I speak to settings, I recommend them to set up continuous provison (as I think others on the forum have done) and you can link learning experiences in these zones to BTTM and then display in the area.

For medium term (and only if settings want to) I advise a weekly planner that goes on the wall. There are five boxes that correspond to the days of the week under the heading of 'group time'. Staff use these spaces to identify any specific areas to focus on linked to the children that are in on that day. There is a BIG space for spontaneous activities, so all staff can note anything of interest and then at the bottom there are boxes for interactive display, festivals and celebrations and then an evaluation box. These are then used to plan for the next week to pick up on anything that could be followed up.

Short term plans not written up in advance but key workers know where there children are 'at' and observations are taken all the time on post it notes, notebooks, scraps of paper etc and then put on the weekly planner under 'sponteous activiites' and observation notes are transferred to individual children's development profiles.

For Ofsted purposes there are lots of photographs which are kept with each week's plan to demonstrate what has been happening and how children's ideas are developed and followed up.

Bit waffly, but hope that gives you an idea of how we approach it!

How lovely to hear that you recommend not spending too much time on planning. My setting now has over half the children on register under three and so I know that I have to start using the B23 but to hear I don't have to worry about planning too much and can be spontaneous is music to my ears.

Sue

When I speak to settings, I recommend them to set up continuous provison (as I think others on the forum have done) and you can link learning experiences in these zones to BTTM and then display in the area

This is how I work but has anyone linked the learning experiences in the zones to BTTM and would they share them as I feel these would be extremely valuable Thanks

has anyone linked the learning experiences in the zones to BTTM and would they share them as I feel these would be extremely valuable Thanks

46994[/snapback]

I thnk that I have some copies, but they are at work and I am at home (just returned from a long weekend in Norfolk for me and my best friend's joint 30th 'wild west weekend' party - very tired!!)

Will see what I can find tomorrow...

RB x

• 2 weeks later...

B23....... lovely colourful pack, nice articles to read

but even after going on training, I still feel like some one has given me a bag of jigsaw pieces, no picture and I dont know if I have all the pieces?!?!?!?

some kind of links between the learning zones and B23 would be very usefull

it always happens I write one thing then after a little more searching find the answer I was looking for

Sue R links the FS areas of learning with the B23 and its like the fog has lifted and the lights have been switched on!!!!! :D

Okay, let me see if this works...

I have produced these four long term plans as they are 'fixed' aspects of birth to three provision. They are by no means definitive plans and are only my personal ideas...

Long_term_planning___Book_Corner.docLong_term_planning___Heuristic_play.docLong_term_planning___home_corner.docLong_term_planning___Outdoor.doc

I also have got a weekly planner that I pass on for medium term planning...

Baby_Weekly_activity_sheet.doc

And a focus activity sheet for daily activiites (short term plans), where necessary...

Baby_focus_activity_sheet.doc

I hope that they are of some use for those of you out there that are still wondering (like many of my providers) what it is all about!! :D

That fits in beautifully with the Continuoud Planning sheets for Foundation Stage shared on here earlier; excellent for those of us in mixed age group settings. Thank you very much!

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya all :D

Have got 3 ideas for anyone who is stuck for things to do with their children.

The first activity you could do is to make books with the children with pictures of them & things they like - This would cover a strong child.

We did this & the children loved it & so did the parents. We let the children take them home after they had made them & we have had so many parents coming into us saying they love books now!!

The second activity you could do is to make up a song box with all the songs you sing with the children written on cards. Then when it is song time you get the box out & get each child to pick a card out & then you sing that song! This helps all the children to feel part of the session & also helps children who either cannot speak & the shy children - This would cover a skillful communicator.

We did this & it really works. We now have 6 boxes - animal songs, nursery rhymes, number songs, rhymes, transport songs, bedtime songs.

The third activity you could do is to make story sacks with the book & props to go with the story. Then use the sacks with the children & let them hold the objects & feel part of the story - This would cover a skillful communicator.

We did this & the kids love it. We have only done the story of the hungry caterpillar so far & we got the children to help to make the fruit & food out of paper mache & paint them. The children love this story & they have also made up their own stories & we have also got to know what the children like to eat & what they don't like too!!

Hope this helps. :D

Edited by Guest

I have been on BTTM courses in my area and one of the main things they said in terms of the long term plan in settings is that children in this group don't need formal 'themes' like we use in the FS. Their take on it is what can you teach young children about the weather (for example), so they said we should plan and teach them things about things they can really interact with such as wheels and water. Nursery Education magazine do a good BTTM activities page, tied in with their themes for the FS. It covers all the age areas and has helped me with BTTM planning in my time!

They also said that the planning should include parts of the daily routine. It's been a while since I've done any BTTM planning but I often included nappy changing and hand washing routines into the plan.

I have been on BTTM courses in my area and one of the main things they said in terms of the long term plan in settings is that children in this group don't need formal 'themes' like we use in the FS. Their take on it is what can you teach young children about the weather (for example), so they said we should plan and teach them things about things they can really interact with such as wheels and water. Nursery Education magazine do a good BTTM activities page, tied in with their themes for the FS. It covers all the age areas and has helped me with BTTM planning in my time!

They also said that the planning should include parts of the daily routine. It's been a while since I've done any BTTM planning but I often included nappy changing and hand washing routines into the plan.

50356[/snapback]

I recently went on a BTTM course and they have insisted we do individual daily planning on sheets - we observe them one day and then we put out the toys they play with on their next session. I know we all do this instinctively but cant get my head around it on paper to prove to OFSTED thats what we do

Any ideas pls :)

Edited by NannyMcPhie

What concerns me somewhat is that (in my area) the BTTM trainers are the EYAT (Early years advisory teachers). Yes, they are able to interpret guidance, but haven't normally actually done it in practice, with under 3's.

We do not have attendence patterns that enable easy planning, different children different days etc.

To me NannyMcphees example illustrates the problem; if I observe Fred engrossed in an enclosing scheme on monday ( gluing lolly sticks around a piece of card) that does not mean that if I supply this type of activity on Thursday ( his next session) it will meet his current interests. A lot can happen to a childs focus within minutes/ hours let alone days.

We offer a continuous provision with self selection access to all types of activities, our main role for this age range, I feel, is to encourage self selection and childrens individual ability to play independently, alongside and with their peers. Providing a rich environment to explore with all their senses. Something we were doing long before BTTM was ever written.

And the ability to spontaneously read and meet their own active play/exploritary plans. Follow the child not the child follow the plan.

Peggy.

Thanks Peggy, I really disagree with what they are suggesting, to my mind - firstly continuous observation on what they like and dislike really is insignificant, babies these ages should be introduced to lots and lots of different stimulating activities, if you put out the same old activities what development are you encouraging. Also we have 12 children in one room, putting out the activities they particularly like just isnt practical.

• 3 months later...

I am throwing open a question in response to what Clare was taught on her training, about Birth to 3 planning not being based on themes.

I am in a new role as manager, and my skills and experience are not with Birth to Three. It is then to my delight that I have appointed a member of staff who is highly trained in this area, and is very knowledgeable and confident with the planning. I am doing what any manager would do, and using her knowledge and experience to the best of my ability.

I fully intend to further my training in this area, so that I can support her, but what she is doing with the under 3s is brilliant, and leaves me to focus on other areas of the nursery.

She has altered the planning which before was topic based, and was very detailed. She has made it very simple so that it includes the 5 days of the week, and a box for each of the different BTTM areas. There is lots of flexibility in the planning, for children to have free choice and pursue their own interests.

My deputy, who is not trained in this age group, is protesting about the new planning, and that it is not prescriptive enough. (She devised the previous planning format).

As my expertise is not in this area at all, I wanted to ask what people's thoughts were on the subject??

Thanks Loads!

Lucky you, to find someone so clued up and dedicated!! Go with this new member of staff, as it's exactly the way we work and the way our EY support is advocating.

I think it's what Ofsted want, too, or should be wanting!!

Let us know how it goes,

Sue :D

PS, I wouldn't necessarily agree with some of the recent posts regarding planning and what they've been advised. In recent local training it was suggested we put up blank planning sheets with the under 3s, then fill them in retrospectively with how play has gone, following the childrens' lead. Tell Advisors/Inspectors that's what you do and you've proved your observations of children's needs and interests as well as providing documentation.

S x

Thanks Sue - that's what feels right to me, but as it's not my area of expertise, I wanted to seek some more advice first. Forgot to say, the deputy is arguing that the under 3's should be working on topics - which they were doing before the new member of staff was appointed. Am I right in thinking that this is not appropriate?

Guest cathy m

I would suggest that your new member of staff knows exactly what she is doing and why. Birth to Three is a guidance framework not a mandatory curriculm. Spontaneous opportunities are extremely important fro under 3's and child initiated rather than continually adult led. In my opinion prescripitive planning is not an assurance of quality and your new member of staff should be congratulated

Cathy

Thanks Sue - that's what feels right to me, but as it's not my area of expertise, I wanted to seek some more advice first. Forgot to say, the deputy is arguing that the under 3's should be working on topics - which they were doing before the new member of staff was appointed. Am I right in thinking that this is not appropriate?

Hi Shelley,

it is difficult for staff who are used to one method to change to another. I personally feel that topic planning is not suitable, even for the FSC. How many times have we seen a post saying My topic is..........but what shall we do?, if the staff aren't inspired how can the children be. Topics can also lead us into time restrictions on how long / or short a topic is focused on, when I used to do topics the staff would want to carry it on for a whole week even though the children weren't inspired, or a topic that did inspire was stopped at the end of it's planned time when actually the children could have continued for longer. Just because it was 'planned' / 'written down' this way.

We do find topic plans useful to refer to for ideas, which enable the whole curriculum areas to be covered ( sorry talking FSC now), ie: children have shown a real interest in the properties of water, I would look up an old Nursery World topic and get some ideas for how to extend or cover a particular learning focus through the medium of water.

Ask your member of staff who wants to keep to topics how best topic planning meets the childrens learning experiences compared to the new method. She needs to think it through ( possibly with support from the 'new' bttm confident staff member) and not just be told this is the way we do it now. The adjustment to change may take a little time, she needs to feel that she can 'develop' professionaly and not that she is just wrong for wanting to do what has previously been endorsed. As well as knowledge of BTTM framework, the most important task here is to enable the staff to develop attitudes which embrace change, and not to see this as a threat to their previous knowledge ( if you know what I mean).

Good luck, I'm sure that when the staff see the benefits of the changes to the children and to the staff, that the comment will be "why did we not do it this way sooner?" :D

Peggy

We've just been told by our inspectors today that we should have BTTM planning. We have been given no planning format by our advisory teachers which i have told them and said that it is something that they are looking into, also that there is not set format for assessing them which they say we should be doing. we have an initial profile which is based on the BTTM that we do but they didn't seem to think much of it, even though we have guidance sheets up around the place on BTTM we tend to down the activity for the younger ones and make it simpler.

Hmm, what exactly do they mean by 'planning'? What I referred to previously is perfectly acceptable, in fact a recognised way of recording what's been done. Unless I have completely misread BTTM there is NO requirement to 'assess', but to observe and provide opportunities for children to follow their own interests which will take them through developmental stages as appropriate for them.

Sue

We've just been told by our inspectors today that we should have BTTM planning. We have been given no planning format by our advisory teachers which i have told them and said that it is something that they are looking into, also that there is not set format for assessing them which they say we should be doing. we have an initial profile which is based on the BTTM that we do but they didn't seem to think much of it, even though we have guidance sheets up around the place on BTTM we tend to down the activity for the younger ones and make it simpler.

Can your staff show that they know at what developmental milestone each child is at (BTTM age)?

Do you log / record developments, ie: potty training, language, any concepts they are exploring?

I don't think it is mandatory to have planning other than continuous provision, to put out certain activities that you know any particular child is interested in. If we are all honest, young children will explore their environement if it includes lots of sensory experiences. The adult interaction ( not leading) is what the inspectors should be observing!. B23 children come under the CARE STANDARDS, not the educational ie: FSC areas. Under the outcome Enjoying and achieving- let the Inspectors know what the younger ones have been enjoying and achieving, use photographs and explain examples of how your planning meets their interests / developmental levels - differentiation.

The Advisory teacher, I thought, only had FSC as his/ her remit, your LA should have a BTTM officer, and BTTM training should have been offered, if you haven't had access to this support let the Inspectors know, and let them know that you plan to access these as soon as they are offered.

Have confidence in that you know what you offer the younger ones is appropriatte. Let the Inspectors know that your knowledge, experience and qualifications have given you the tools to know how to support and promote these childrens development, give verbal examples, your only action plan for the future would be to 'formally' evidence this. Evidence should be in the form you feel shows proof that you are 'promoting' the development of the youngest children, which, I think, doesn't have to be through written plans for who are 'spontaneous' active learners.

It can be proven through photographs, information shared with parents ( home / setting book is what some settings use for the younger children) achievement books and observations, and some judgement must come from the inspectors actually observing the children, to see if they are developing at the appropriate rate.

You can't change what you do now in time for tomorrow, take on board what the inspectors say, but also help them listen to what you know. You can have this as an area to develop, which many, many settings are doing at this moment in time, including mine, we are all developing formats in how we evidence what we do, this doesn't mean we are not doing it, and for the children, that is all that matters to them.

Peggy

The Advisory teacher, I thought, only had FSC as his/ her remit

That may be their remit, but it hasn't stopped ours delivering and cascading BTTM training - those 'on high' thought that it would be more effective if it was delivered by 'qualified teachers' :o ... so three development officers, all with early years/education/playwork degrees and between three and eight years practice experience each isn't enough (okay, so that's not much but BTTM hasn't been around that long!)

We are seen as the 'care corner' in our office and get asked about toilet training and biting and little else - well, perhaps I'm being a bit over-critical, but it feels like it sometimes xD

Sorry, going off topic.... but feel better now! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)